Setting Up Cascade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plumb the banks to include what they call a double loop you can fill the cascade at the same time as you fill your tanks without loosing topping pressure in the cascade. This involves installing one way valves on the fill input side of the cascade from compressor (first loop) and then an on/off valve for each cascade bottle on the output side of the cascade (2nd loop) used to fill the scuba tanks.
You have a drawing of what you mean?

I said I'd post some pictures...

View attachment 694430View attachment 694431

These are the one-way valves I use. Advantage: they're around $10 each and rated to 400bar. Disadvantage: they're designed for hydraulic fluids and don't seal gasses. Solution is in the photo next to it: teflon seats that I put inside the valve. Works like a charm. Those seats require having a friend who can machine those things from a block of teflon.

View attachment 694435
Digital pressure gauge, costs around $25 in China. This is old-school stuff - these sensors work with a current loop of 4 - 20 mA. Each bank has one of these pressure sensors. A good analogue pressure gauge is more expensive.

All pressures are read by a control unit that operates the solenoid valves:
View attachment 694437
These solenoids are also from China, price around $70. Material is SS304 and has teflon seats. Can be pulled apart for oxygen cleaning, material is oxygen compatible.
The 2 solenoids in the photo are attached to the 232 and 300 bar banks. At the bottom, these lines connect and go to a needle valve. This valve slows down the fill speed and creates a pressure difference so the control unit can check tank pressure versus bank pressure.

Banks all have DIN valves. I leave 'm open, since the solenoids seal off everything.
View attachment 694438
Do you remember the specific model/ source for the hp solenoids? I’m considering using them in an auto drain configuration.

Silly me. No wonder I wasn’t finding them. I’m still stuck in my eBay ways…. Thanks again!

Changed directions a little. Found a deal I couldn't pass up. These are in addition to the 4 6000psi bottles.

9 4500 and 4 3500. Picked them up today.
Where did you get to with decisions on your bank setup?
With the panel and range of cylinders you have a mass of options.
Anything you do adds up quickly tho, even just tees for the valves with that many cylinders will set you back.

Where did you get to with decisions on your bank setup?
With the panel and range of cylinders you have a mass of options.
Anything you do adds up quickly tho, even just tees for the valves with that many cylinders will set you back.

Honestly.... nowhere yet. I haven't moved on anything, but I'm pretty sure with the fill panel and 4 banks I'll use 2 x 3500 / 2 x 3500 / 2 x 4500 / 2 x 4500, so a total of 8 tanks. I have a realistic parts list I just need to order it and get it done already. I think the T's and the CGA-347 connections will cost the most. The ss tubing and nuts won't be so bad.

My 2 bottles lines and fitting ran around 1600

My 2 bottles lines and fitting ran around 1600

Ouch.

My setup came with the panel and enough fittings to do 4 banks but 1 bottle / bank. All I need fittings for is to T in 4 additional bottles.

I say ouch, but I did have a total of 6 hrs of my life between 2 trips to get all this crap.

The bottles were 350 each, the line 7 a foot not sure the whips and fittings and I don't have the invoice anymore.

The bottles were 350 each, the line 7 a foot not sure the whips and fittings and I don't have the invoice anymore.

I believe August sells the line a little less, but then you have to add in the fittings on either end. What I'd like to do is flare these and hopefully that works. So then it's really just the T's and the CGA-347 fittings that are expensive.

All my stuff for the cascade came from a fire department. I might even have enough small hoses to not have to flare anything. I really need to lay out what I have vs what I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom