Service for new Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do you need to get a new set of Regs serviced before they can be taken under water? I assume they come out of the factory fully certified but that could have been over a year since you bought them.

Maybe they need to be tuned or balanced as well?

Any opinion or advice appreciated.

No.

They are set up correctly when they leave the factory and, although the lubricants may dry out and the o-rings decay/flatten with age, that takes a lot longer than a year.

I am a believer in putting any new reg on the bench to check for leaks an ip creep/ proper ip. You would be amazed how two regs that came from the same mfg bought on the same day can and will be tuned differently.

If you bought from a LDS they should have done a general inspection if the regs at the time of purchase to make sure they are set to specs and no leaks or problems. Should only take about 10 or 15 minutes to check 1st stage IP pressure and stability, 2nd stage cracking pressure, check for leaks and install any thing else that goes on the reg set. Just because it came from the factory does not always mean it is set properly.

It it is no fun to go diving and find out that your brand new equipment is not working properly. Same thing for just serviced regs. I always check newly serviced regs in a pool shallow place in a lake to make sure they are working properly.

I think most shops do it for you. Even online shops like scuba.com do. I'm not sure about others. Find a pool and try it out before you spend money on a boat ride or longer trip, though.

I am a believer in putting any new reg on the bench to check for leaks an ip creep/ proper ip. You would be amazed how two regs that came from the same mfg bought on the same day can and will be tuned differently.

Yes, the kit should be inspected (and minor adjustment as necessary). That is something you should be able to do or you can find someone who can do it for you. It should not need a service unless inspection reveals a problem.

Do you need to get a new set of Regs serviced before they can be taken under water? I assume they come out of the factory fully certified but that could have been over a year since you bought them.

Maybe they need to be tuned or balanced as well?

Any opinion or advice appreciated.

I don't disagree with the rest HOWEVER if I understand your question, if you purchased them, put them on a shelf for a year then decide to dive them, they will likely "need" to be serviced to maintain warranty. If that is the case, at a minimum, take them by your dealer for a quick once over....unfortunately if you want to keep the warranty you may have to have a perfectly good reg serviced.....waste of time and money IMO but to keep the warranty you may have to.

Back
Top Bottom