Service cost comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poolecw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
One of the things that I'm trying to look at when deciding on a new regulator is the service costs associated with it.

I am looking at either a Aqualung Legend LX or a scubapro MK25. One is a diaphragm and the other is a piston. Should I expect the Piston MK25 to have a lower service cost over the diaphragm? Or would I shop probably charge a flat rate for all regulator annual services?

should be the same price. parts kits are all about the same, and labor is all about the same. Don't be duped into free parts for life. Regs don't need to be serviced nearly that often and whatever "Savings" you have from free kits will be more than eaten up by excessive labor charges so total cost of ownership is much higher

exception to this are the pistons that get sealed with lube, *i.e. atomic, scubapros with spec boots etc*, and if you opt to get them sealed, it will cost about $30 more for the first stage.

Thanks ....thats where I was going with this question. I didn't know if Aqualung's free parts for life was a deal or not.

The free parts for life may or may not be a good deal. It depends on how much you dive and what the actual service interval is that is required. If they only require service every 2 years, then you might want to do that anyway. And if you're going to get them serviced that often anyway, free parts could be advantageous.

Even if it is not, that doesn't mean that AL regs are a bad value. I mean, don't write them off solely because they offer free parts for life and you have determined that that is not something you care about.

Personally, if they are the same price, I would get the Mk 25 just because it has a swivel turret. I don't find the swivel turret to be particularly useful for single tank recreational diving. But, it is very nice to have if you're diving in sidemount or with backmount doubles. So, like I said, if it were the same cost, I would get the Mk 25 just on the chance that it might offer an advantage in the future. However, if the Mk 25 is more money, then I would probably not spend the extra. If you go to sidemount or doubles in the future, there's a good chance you'll end up buying a separate reg set for that anyway, and the potential benefit of a Mk 25 won't really matter.

free parts only makes sense IF:

1. the LDS does the inspection for free or nominal amount on odd years
2. you have no inclination to self service
3. you plan on keeping the regulator for a long time, generally takes a while to break even vs a cheaper regulator.

if you are willing to consider the mikron instead, northeast scuba supply is bundling those with a free octo currently that makes them more competitive pricewise

Aqua Lung Mikron Regulator with FREE Octo!!!

One of the things that I'm trying to look at when deciding on a new regulator is the service costs associated with it.

I am looking at either a Aqualung Legend LX or a scubapro MK25. One is a diaphragm and the other is a piston. Should I expect the Piston MK25 to have a lower service cost over the diaphragm? Or would I shop probably charge a flat rate for all regulator annual services?

The service kit for the Legend first stage is normally a bit more than the Mk25. It is normal for diaphragm kits to be a little more pricier, but not a whole lot. There is no need to add any type of "sealed lube" for the Mk25EVO. Atomic still has a reg that can be sealed.

Generally speaking I've found prices to be the same for labor when it comes to the stages and slight differences in the parts kits. With that being stated, prices will very from one shop to the next. Ask your LDS what it charges to service a reg.

Parts for life, is not a good deal. Unless you leave your regs soaking in salt water between dives almost never need servicing as often as you are required to keep up with the "scheduled" service intervals.

Parts for life, is not a good deal. Unless you leave your regs soaking in salt water between dives almost never need servicing as often as you are required to keep up with the "scheduled" service intervals.

I think you are being a bit misleading here. Parts for life only covers the parts kit for scheduled maintenance. So that would be one kit every two years. If the OP accidentally gets water into the regulator and needs a rebuild he will need to purchase the parts (and pay for the labor). If he does a 1,000 dives a year and needs a rebuild each year they only pay for one kit every two.

I don't disagree that parts for life is a bad deal, I just think you should be a bit more realistic towards him. Also it should be pointed out that if you miss an inspection or rebuild (you are stopped diving temporarily due to a change in circumstances) you are forever out of parts for life and can never return. Years ago if you fell out of parts for life you just had to pay for parts and you were back in.

Parts for life is a marketing gimmick used to sell regulators, nothing more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom