Service Centers in Tampa and Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gle

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first set of regs soon. Right now I am considering regulators made by Zeagle, AquaLung, Apeks, and Atomic. I have been looking at a lot of factors. Much information regarding performance can be gained by reading reviews and trying the equipment. But I have been less successful finding useful information on servicing. While I understand the basics of how a reg works, and have even been to a manufacturers workshop to learn how to service their regs, I know I will be using professional technicians to service my gear. This is in part due to a lack of trust in myself. But more so due to warranties that require factory authorized shop techs to perform the work.

This brings me to the question. Where can I find good techs in Orlando and/or Tampa? I stress GOOD techs. Like I said, I have been to a factory workshop, and I have the little certificate that makes me a certified service monkey. So I know how little is required for a tech at some shops to work on my gear. I don't want some guy just throwing in a parts kit and slapping the thing back together, I can do that.

Also, the service interval on the 4 brands I listed is 1 year, except for Atomic which is 2 years. Do you find this to be the case in practice. I will probably average 100-200 dives per year.

Oh yeah, one slight hitch. There is a small chance I may be moving to Hawaii come this fall. If I knew I would be in Florida for the next 5-10 years I would say Zeagle for service hands down. Worst case scenario is a short drive to the factory in Zephyrhills. I will be posting a similar thread about service centers in the Hawaii forum, but any comments about general serviceability outside of Florida would be welcome. Mostly though, I am looking for names of good techs I can use in Orlando and Tampa.

Thanks for your advice. I know I am asking a lot, but this is my life support equipment. It needs to be there for me underwater, and I need to be there for it above.

Why haven't you looked at SCUBAPRO. The MK16 or MK20 might be just what you are looking for. I own a MK10 for 12 years and never had any trouble with it. I have it serviced ever 2 years (i do between 12 and 24 dives a year). Have always found places that could service Scubapro anywhere in the U.S., Mexico, Caman, Bahamas, Belize, ect. ect. ect. Before you buy anything check out www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html about some of the scuba makers that have not honored their written warranties. I own 7 regulators (1 scubapro, 1 voit and 5 Dacor) and like the Scubapro the best. Of the brands you listed I like the Atomic line and especialy like the Z1 regulator.

I recently made an investment on the Atomic line of products. After reviewing product reviews and testimony from several DS owners, I chose to make my decision based on several considerations including performance, reliability, and price. For me, the Atomics two year service interval was a strong selling point. None of my LDS sell Atomic products. If they are unable to service them, I will have no problem with sending them out of town for service.

Decent service techs - sorry not many i can really think of. Most LDS's in town i wouldnt trust to touch anything of mine, possibly scuba world on SR50 (ask zendiver on here as he works there), or kissimmee pro dive (seemed reasonably put together for an LDS in the area). The rest i would keep driving past with my foot firmly on the floor :wink:

simbrooks:
Decent service techs - sorry not many i can really think of. Most LDS's in town i wouldnt trust to touch anything of mine, possibly scuba world on SR50 (ask zendiver on here as he works there), or kissimmee pro dive (seemed reasonably put together for an LDS in the area). The rest i would keep driving past with my foot firmly on the floor :wink:

This was my impression from seeing the service bays in several local shops. Where do you get service?

gle:
This was my impression from seeing the service bays in several local shops. Where do you get service?
So far i havent, i also havent had my gear quite a year yet, only just about 110 dives on them too, but its getting close. All my stuff is Zeagle (or at least the stuff i would bother to get serviced). My instructor says he'll do it when we get together sometime soon, he has all the tools in his trailer and access to service kits - i am thinking of taking the courses this year and with access to kits through him i might be able to just DIY a bit. There arent many options for Zeagle in town, so we shall see what comes along.

Zeagle regs have free lifetime service kits as long as you have them serviced every year by an authorized service tech. The price of the service kits can add up after a few years of diving. The zeagle regs are also nice breathers & won Rodales readers choice awards (If you put any weight into the ad driven publications). Just something to consider :)

simbrooks:
So far i havent, i also havent had my gear quite a year yet, only just about 110 dives on them too, but its getting close. All my stuff is Zeagle (or at least the stuff i would bother to get serviced). My instructor says he'll do it when we get together sometime soon, he has all the tools in his trailer and access to service kits - i am thinking of taking the courses this year and with access to kits through him i might be able to just DIY a bit. There arent many options for Zeagle in town, so we shall see what comes along.

Do you have any experience with ExtaSea? The only three dive shops I've seen up here are Scuba World, Diver's Direct, and ExtaSea. I'm also relatively new to the area.

They are one of the few dive stores that i havent been to - i cant seem to find the store when i drive up Kirkman even though its supposed to be right there!! In town we have: 2 Scubaworlds (SR50/Old Cheney & Aloma/417), Extasea (Kirkman/I-4), Divers Direct (I-drive), 2 Scubaquests (SR436/I-4 & Sand Lake/OBT), 2(?) Orlando Scuba Centers (SR 436/Red Bug & SR50/Bumby), Kissimmee Pro Dive (192 just east of OBT i think), Castaway Scuba (formerly NWDivers SR50/417), Dive Station (Edgewater/Par), Oceans Unlimited (if still operating - SR436/Douglas? or towards 434), C&N (Mt Dora - SR441), Scuba Diversions (17-92/434) and Fun 2 Dive (French Ave, Sanford), Wet N Fla (Lk Mary Blvd?) and one up in Deland as well, cant recall the name. Any others i have missed? I have opinions on a good few of those and have heard good and bad about those i havent been to. Not sure on servicing from some and havent really asked/seen/visited the others - getting around to it :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom