Seriously PADI, whiskey tango foxtrot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We also have to be realistic here, a replacement has to cost something.

Besides material costs, there is staffing in order to make this happen etc., or does everyone expect stuff for nothing these days!
Sure, but when the fee is higher than the cost to get a driver's license renewal, it stinks to high heaven. That renewal is done by fairly compensated government employees and involves database searches and the production of a card with holograms, microprinting, multiple embossing, etc. A cheapo PADI card isn't in the same league.

PADI is in good company with the ridiculous fees for replacement cards. NAUI is now charging $45.00 for a replacement physical card . They charged $5 as recently as 2018 when I last checked). NAUI also charges $20 for digital (previously it was included free)

So much for that whole "non-profit" thing.
Even non-profits have bills. How do you expect them to pay those bills?

There is almost no real difference between a non-profit and a profit making organization. I was the Executive Director of a non-profit organization for a while, and I was very much concerned with how we paid the bills. Some non-profits working toward popular causes get a lot of money from grants and donations. Mine sure didn't. I struggled to find grants.

So if you aren't getting grants and donations, you have to act exactly as if you were a profit making venture. You need to make sales, for example. You need to charge for services. In its early years, NAUI was very dependent upon donations and loans to stay afloat, and they were annually on the edge of bankruptcy. I don't expect they are getting much in the way of grants and donations today, so they will have to be indistinguishable from any other profit-generating agency.

By providing valuable services.

Certification cards are only really "valuable" because scuba-shops and similar organizations demand them for various services. Beyond that, they're mostly just a piece of plastic.

I have no problem with businesses seeking ways to make money or be profitable, however I reserve the right to call out businesses I feel are being exploitative, providing bad customer service, provide little value for money, etc.

Also, I have the PADI app on my phone and it populates my e-certs with no problems. (2nd pic below is a screenshot from my phone).

PS.... As far as I know, I am no longer a PADI member unless it's free....but everything still works.
Interesting... I assumed once you stopped paying your membership fee all your "free" e-cards would go away on Jan 1 unless you purchased them previously.
You should probably call PADI to check on this oversight. :wink:

Crazy, some agencies offer digital versions for free. I now have pictures of all the cards and those are always enough — nobody has ever asked me for the physical card.

Interesting... I assumed once you stopped paying your membership fee all your "free" e-cards would go away on Jan 1 unless you purchased them previously.
You should probably call PADI to check on this oversight. :wink:
Once I stopped teaching I had no reason or need to continue to pay to be a PADI member. I now just dive for the love of diving.

Crazy, some agencies offer digital versions for free. I now have pictures of all the cards and those are always enough — nobody has ever asked me for the physical card.
Same here -- scanned all of my cert cards and DAN card into a PDF file, I send it ahead to any dive op I'm using just in case I forget (or lose) my actual cards. Also can access from anywhere in my web-based email. Works fine and rarely get asked for a physical card.

They are issuing a new card with every cert. Why the frack can't they include ALL certifications on a single card? Like a pilot's license? ATP AMEL Type ratings: Cessna Citation ... etc....

One card, not 6, 7, 8,12, or 19.....

I thought one of the things we're supposed to save the ocean from was more plastic.

OMMOHY

1658805438486.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom