Seriously PADI, whiskey tango foxtrot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Searcaigh i agree with them having to cost something. But in this day and age the actual need to print cards is a waste. My dive app has a section for digital cards.

We also have to be realistic here, a replacement has to cost something.

Besides material costs, there is staffing in order to make this happen etc., or does everyone expect stuff for nothing these days!
It's a service?

At least you can get a card. DAN (Europe) doesn't send out plastic cards any longer -- some BS about throwing them into the sea.

Is there a PADI (cr)App? Or do the avaricious b'stards charge for that too?

As mentioned, take a photo and that's it.

Never realised how much monetary value there was in cert cards!

We also have to be realistic here, a replacement has to cost something.

Besides material costs, there is staffing in order to make this happen etc., or does everyone expect stuff for nothing these days!
OP talked about e-cards. Not a physical card.

I didn't interpret it that way

Went to the PADI site to see what it would cost to order a replacement c-card since the printing on mine is rubbing off.

In which case an electronic card should probably only have some small admin fee or be permanently available at all times once issued.

I don't think there was an electronic version of PADI cards available when I last did a PADI course, or at least none was offered.

Edited: Checked the original post

Sorry my mistake then.

In which case an electronic card should probably only have some small admin fee or be permanently available at all times once issued.

I don't think there was an electronic version of PADI cards available when I last did a PADI course, or at least none was offered.
PADI in some regions only issues e-cards now. That’s not the case in the US.

Virtually all of my training has been SDI/TDI. You can screen shot the e-card or just take a photo of physical card.

This is not rocket science. I don’t get why taking a photo or even making a photo copy of your card is so difficult for some folks.

PADI in some regions only issues e-cards now. That’s not the case in the US.

Virtually all of my training has been SDI/TDI. You can screen shot the e-card or just take a photo of physical card.

This is not rocket science. I don’t get why taking a photo or even making a photo copy of your card is so difficult for some folks.
Or save the image locally even as a PDF.

Have them on the computer and images on the phone.

Would be nice if all the agencies did the images in "wallet" format.

I think you're mistaken - or maybe @Thunder Struck edited the post.

Went to the PADI site to see what it would cost to order a replacement c-card since the printing on mine is rubbing off.

Fifty dollars!?!?!?!?

Ten bucks I can see as reasonable. $20 is overpriced. But for $50 to replace a C-card, or, worse yet, to simply get a digital c-card, is completely out of line. And if you want a digital version of three cards to cover all your diving needs, say, Advanced/Rescue, Deep, and Nitrox, it's $150.

Although I've seen some dive center web sites state they don't accept digital cards. They want to see plastic. Apparently to accomodate this PADI has a deal: a physical card and a digital e-card for $64. Per cert of course.

What is the rationale for this?

Maybe PADI should change to PABI--Put Another Benjamin In.

Take photos of your cards, and passport, front and back. That's good enough in most cases. If you need a replacement physical card, go to Staples, copy front and back and laminate.

Many shops can look up all your certifications in the database if they have just one of your card numbers.

Back
Top Bottom