Question Serial number prefixes on Pelagic Pressure Systems MH8A transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any others who would be willing to share the serial number prefix for their Aeris, Aqua Lung, Hollis, Oceanic, Shearwater, Sherwood, or Tusa MH8A transmitter?

Thanks, I would appreciate it very much

I would appreciate additional posts, especially if anyone has a Sherwood or Tusa branded transmitter.

Does anyone know the brand that used the FP serial number prefix?

So far, I have not been able to obtain additional information from Pelagic Pressure Systems or Aqua Lung. This is the reply I received from PPS:

Hi,
Thanks for the email . Based on the information you have provided it is likely that the inquiry is related to the PDC Transmitter identification and compatibility. As the scope of our support is limited to the Diverlog application, we recommend for you to contact your local authorized dealer for assistance in getting an answer to this inquiry.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards and stay safe,
Support Team

I have gotten no reply from Aqua Lung.

I just got back my replacement transmitter from Oceanic/Huish Excellent service from Oceanic/Huish

The serial number prefix is still BM. Not sure of the R as mentioned by @Belzelbub Question - Serial number prefixes on Pelagic Pressure Systems MH8A transmitters
1654981518238.png

Has anybody sent a MH8A transmitter back to Oceanic/Huish that was not an Oceanic? Aeris, Hollis, some Shearwater have the serial number prefix of BM.

Thanks for your response

I just got back my replacement transmitter from Oceanic/Huish Excellent service from Oceanic/Huish

The serial number prefix is still BM. Not sure of the R as mentioned by @Belzelbub
The more I think about it, I’m pretty sure that the R after the date code does mean Refurbished. I’m assuming they are all running through the same equipment used in production based on 20 some years in electronics manufacturing.

Dedicating equipment just to RMAs is usually not cost effective. Given that, they’d need a means to ensure that the refurbished transmitters don’t wind up in a new box. While scanning the serial number will probably work as well, a visual indicator is usually best.

The thing that made me wonder was the additional label R07/20. Mine has an additional lane, but it reads R11/19. I’ve seen similar additional labels applied to electronics to indicate a critical fix has been applied. I seem to recall an issue that was discovered with early units where a battery change would result in overheating the battery. This could indicate that the fix was applied, but just speculating.

The more I think about it, I’m pretty sure that the R after the date code does mean Refurbished. I’m assuming they are all running through the same equipment used in production based on 20 some years in electronics manufacturing.

Dedicating equipment just to RMAs is usually not cost effective. Given that, they’d need a means to ensure that the refurbished transmitters don’t wind up in a new box. While scanning the serial number will probably work as well, a visual indicator is usually best.

The thing that made me wonder was the additional label R07/20. Mine has an additional lane, but it reads R11/19. I’ve seen similar additional labels applied to electronics to indicate a critical fix has been applied. I seem to recall an issue that was discovered with early units where a battery change would result in overheating the battery. This could indicate that the fix was applied, but just speculating.
I don't understand it either. Note, that the embossed info has 0719R and the label has R07/20. I'm simply glad to have a new or refurbished transmitter for a very reasonable price. The 2017 transmitter that I sent in, that had previously been replaced, did not have the R markings.

I don't understand it either. Note, that the embossed info has 0719R and the label has R07/20. I'm simply glad to have a new or refurbished transmitter for a very reasonable price. The 2017 transmitter that I sent in, that had previously been replaced, did not have the R markings.
Interesting. I’ve only had one transmitter replaced, so my sample size falls well short of statistically significant. I wonder, then, if the R means the revision/ECN fix, and the secondary label is the date that it completed refurbishing.

The date codes make no sense though 0719 and 11/19 for mine and 0719 and 07/20 for yours.

Interesting. I’ve only had one transmitter replaced, so my sample size falls well short of statistically significant. I wonder, then, if the R means the revision/ECN fix, and the secondary label is the date that it completed refurbishing.

The date codes make no sense though 0719 and 11/19 for mine and 0719 and 07/20 for yours.
Clearly, the cases have been new, not a mark on them. I don't know about the electronics. As per previous, I would be glad to get another 850+ dives out of this one.

Doesn't anyone else have serial number prefixes they would be willing to share?

Thanks

Also curious that the R07/20 appears to be an over sticker - assuming that might be covering 0719R shown in the printed serial #?

On my SW yellow, the sticker matches the printed code (sticker has since fallen off completely):

52D1DC59-0EC8-463E-B0EB-652206FBF018.jpeg

On my original Grey transmitter that I bought with my Perdix AI when it first came out, the serial number is etched/engraved into the housing and the sticker matches, but the sticker does not include the last 4 digits:

A9A89E5B-FFCC-416B-B4B9-CD6F27B0477E.jpeg

@Joneill

Yes, the R07/20 appears to be an over sticker. It is very firmly attached, and I am not going to remove it at this time. I don't pretend to understand the serial number prefixes or the R designation.

I have emailed Aqua Lung again, but am not expecting a reply.

Also curious that the R07/20 appears to be an over sticker - assuming that might be covering 0719R shown in the printed serial #?

On my SW yellow, the sticker matches the printed code (sticker has since fallen off completely):

View attachment 727870

On my original Grey transmitter that I bought with my Perdix AI when it first came out, the serial number is etched/engraved into the housing and the sticker matches, but the sticker does not include the last 4 digits:

View attachment 727871
Was your BM transmitter purchased from Shearwater? I assume that your yellow FK was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom