Senate Bill 629

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the people on my e-mail list received this response:

Dear Paul:

If the bill is taken up for a vote, I will include an amendment exempting a certified scuba diver or a person entering the water with a surfboard.

Sincerely,

Joel Sheltrown, Chair
House Tourism, Outdoor Recreation
and Natural Resources Committee

Well, I shocked that we got action that fast. Joel's office did tell me that they had heard from a lot of divers about this subject.... Nice work but we should stay on them ... Just to be sure.

I don't see any black copters but, Some nutty things have been happening in my state capital...

We Scuba Divers have been an active bunch (legislatively) this year. Maybe this activity might put us on some of our Representatives radar when next they consider legislation curtailing water based activities. I would rather have the law read that no unsupervised minors will be allowed on these structures instead of banning the activity for all. What follows is another response from the 103rd Districts Representitive.

Dear Scott:

Senate Bill 629 has passed the Senate and is now pending action before the House Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources Committee. The bill would prohibit jumping off a pier, jetty, breakwall, buoy, navigational device or similar structures. It does not apply to a person undertaking a rescue or public safety personnel engaged in training operations. The bill is similar to HB 4699.

The issue the bill seeks to address received considerable attention in the media over the summer following the deaths of several young people that occurred as a result of the activities this bill would prohibit. At first glance, the bill appears to be a reasonable solution to this problem. However, scuba divers and surfers often use these structures as the safest and most convenient way to access the water from shore and considerable opposition exists to the bill from those two groups. The bill, in its current form, does not provide an exemption for those activities. In addition, the DNR opposes (http://www.michigandnr.com/legislationdocs/position/SB 629 Analysis.htm ) the bill because the department feels the prohibition would be very difficult to enforce. Adding an amendment exempting certain activities could further complicate enforcement.

At this point, I do not plan on giving this bill a hearing. However, if the bill eventually receives a hearing, I will sponsor an amendment exempting certified scuba divers, uncertified divers under the direct instruction of a certified instructor and surfers.

Sincerely,

Joel Sheltrown, Chair
House Tourism, Outdoor Recreation
and Natural Resources Committee

Greg, I guess by this definition can you dive down a shipwreck buoy? since you use the line to dive down, that would constitute a violation by the broad terms used.

The question was asked, What about private property?
If you live on the water; This could mean that you could get a ticket for diving off your own docks...
CAN YOU SAY... "Property Owner Infrigment"...
Like I said earlier... YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE COMMON SENSE.

Here's the article in the Port Huron Times
herald. from today 10-27-07
Times Herald - www.thetimesherald.com - Port Huron, MI

It's interesting that the article mentions that the bill would not effect private property or seawalls; only those structures owned by the Army Corp of Engineers...

If you read the bill however it does not say that.

As you are probably aware, SB 629 has received considerable attention in the state media over the past week. Support for the bill appears to be particularly strong in West Michigan following the deaths of two teenagers this past summer.

Rep. Sheltrown will give the bill a hearing. The likely date will be November 27. However, most of the members on the committee have told us they are unlikely to support the bill in its current form. Rep. Sheltrown will offer an amendment exempting scuba divers and surfers although I'm not sure how I'm going to word the amendment yet. The surfer part will be particularly problematic to define.

Divers should be contacting all the members on the committee, not just Rep. Sheltrown. The e-mail list is at: http://house.michigan.gov/committeeinfo.asp?lstcommittees=tourism,+outdoor+recreation+and+natural+resources&submit=Go. Divers may also wish to contact West Michigan representatives, Tonya Schuitmaker (tonyaschuitmaker@house.mi.gov) and Arlan Meekhof (arlanbmeekhof@house.mi.gov) as these two legislators are supporting the bill.

Divers have written us with some questions on this bills. To clear up some issues...

The bill only applies to Great Lakes or connecting waters (St. Mary's River, St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, Detroit River). Regardless of the intent of the sponsor, the current wording doesn't exempt private property and "other similar structures" could even be construed to mean a private dock or seawall. That language needs to be fixed.

The bill would not make it illegal to dive without a certification. It would just make it illegal to jump off these structures if you are uncertified (with the amendment I'm working on). However, a person shouldn't be scuba diving anyway unless they are certified or are diving under the direct supervision and/or instruction of a divemaster or instructor. That's not the law. That's common sense.

Some divers are assuming the word "dive" in the bill means to swim underwater. It doesn't. It means to plunge head first into the water as opposed to "jump" which means to go in feet first. The bill does say, "jump, dive or SWIM". It's the word "swim" that has me concerned. To say a person can't swim from a these objects is very problematic. I'm sure supporters of the bill would say we need to trust law enforcement and the courts to use common sense in interpreting the law. Personally, I'd rather have a properly worded bill than can be reasonably enforced.

Clearly, even with the Sheltrown amendment, there will be other issues, particularly enforcement, that will need to be addressed.

Feel free to re-post.

As you are probably aware, SB 629 has received considerable attention in the state media over the past week. Support for the bill appears to be particularly strong in West Michigan following the deaths of two teenagers this past summer.

Rep. Sheltrown will give the bill a hearing. The likely date will be November 27. However, most of the members on the committee have told us they are unlikely to support the bill in its current form. Rep. Sheltrown will offer an amendment exempting scuba divers and surfers although I'm not sure how I'm going to word the amendment yet. The surfer part will be particularly problematic to define.

Divers should be contacting all the members on the committee, not just Rep. Sheltrown. The e-mail list is at: http://house.michigan.gov/committeeinfo.asp?lstcommittees=tourism,+outdoor+recreation+and+natural+resources&submit=Go. Divers may also wish to contact West Michigan representatives, Tonya Schuitmaker (tonyaschuitmaker@house.mi.gov) and Arlan Meekhof (arlanbmeekhof@house.mi.gov) as these two legislators are supporting the bill.

Divers have written us with some questions on this bills. To clear up some issues...

The bill only applies to Great Lakes or connecting waters (St. Mary's River, St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, Detroit River). Regardless of the intent of the sponsor, the current wording doesn't exempt private property and "other similar structures" could even be construed to mean a private dock or seawall. That language needs to be fixed.

The bill would not make it illegal to dive without a certification. It would just make it illegal to jump off these structures if you are uncertified (with the amendment I'm working on). However, a person shouldn't be scuba diving anyway unless they are certified or are diving under the direct supervision and/or instruction of a divemaster or instructor. That's not the law. That's common sense.

Some divers are assuming the word "dive" in the bill means to swim underwater. It doesn't. It means to plunge head first into the water as opposed to "jump" which means to go in feet first. The bill does say, "jump, dive or SWIM". It's the word "swim" that has me concerned. To say a person can't swim from a these objects is very problematic. I'm sure supporters of the bill would say we need to trust law enforcement and the courts to use common sense in interpreting the law. Personally, I'd rather have a properly worded bill than can be reasonably enforced.

Clearly, even with the Sheltrown amendment, there will be other issues, particularly enforcement, that will need to be addressed.

Feel free to re-post.
Have you talked to the Traverse Record-Eagle and other papers about this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom