Senate Bill 629

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I said, I can't keep up w/ it all!! And I am sure the DNR boat access launches (or whatever they are called) season passes will go up, too. What a hoot that you are calling the gov. Jenny! Take care, Maggi

just hope they keep enough $ in the budgets for snow removal. . .we have ~ 3-4" now and its still falling. . . this lake effect stuff. . .

Just another example of a law, written in response to law suits, with the intent of protecting the State which will be interpeted as broadly as possible by law enforcement when the mood strikes. The State can not protect us from ourselves without taking all the fun out of living. Next on the agenda...removing all those ropes from trees overhanging navigatable waterways.

Please call your Representitives one and all.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." ...Benjamin Franklin

Sec. 80155a. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not jump, dive, or swim from a pier, jetty, breakwater, or other similar structure, or a buoy or other navigational device, that is located in the Great Lakes or their connecting waters

Doesn't seem like a lot to have to broadly interpret. Don't like the law have it stopped or changed. Don't bring down Law enforcement because you have trouble following rules.

I agree with caymaniac..........we need a part time legislature (since thats all they work anyway). Do you get paid full time exaggerated salaries to work minutes on the hour? I dont think so....Make them earn an Hourly (documented) worktime and a retirement based on time of service....no more 8 years and full retirement with full Benefits. Did you know that The legislatures and other Politicians in Michigan get Full Retirement (almost Full Pay) The Best Health Care (even after retirement) with no co-pays, no deductibles, no out of pocket expenses. The State workers are paying 10% of their Health care, have increasing yearly deductibles, co-pays and dont have the same health care level when they retire, they drop down to another level below that. I guess I need to be a politician for 8 years...I will never have to work again (still getting retirement salary) and Full health Care at no cost to me. The savings alone in this move would put enough money in the funds for DNR, Law Enforcement and Education for Generations to come.

ereediver: Doesn't seem like a lot to have to broadly interpret
Sec. 80155a. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not jump, dive, or swim from a pier, jetty, breakwater, or other similar structure, or a buoy or other navigational device, that is located in the Great Lakes or their connecting waters

I don't know the words Dive, and Swim seem to be very broad or open to a lot of interpretation to me. I also have to include the word buoy. Any marked wreck up here in Thunder Bay has a NOAA buoy attached, and we dive from them. We also dive from a area that has a pier, which we swim and dive around. There's my interpretation of the law, from a non-law enforcement point of view. So I guess I'm a prime candidate for getting quite a few tickets.
:pirate2:

I don't know the words Dive, and Swim seem to be very broad or open to a lot of interpretation to me. I also have to include the word buoy. Any marked wreck up here in Thunder Bay has a NOAA buoy attached, and we dive from them. We also dive from a area that has a pier, which we swim and dive around. There's my interpretation of the law, from a non-law enforcement point of view. So I guess I'm a prime candidate for getting quite a few tickets.
:pirate2:

I don't know a lot about this but I believe the Abandoned Shipwreck Act of 1987 states, in part, that because of the recreational and educational opportunities offered to sport divers reasonable access to shipwrecks cannot be denied by the states.
One goal of the ASA is for states to provide reasonable access. How reasonable access is defined I don't know. But the ASA should provide some protection for sport divers.

reasonable is the word that is way too interpretable.....so you can dive down to the wreck, but you may not swim down the bouy that is attached to it (not too unreasonable by any stretch).....or you can swim the pier, you must just swim from an area not directly near the pier ( from the beach adjacent to the pier...etc) Even though i dont like it, I wouldnt consider it unreasonable to see them interpreting that way.

My point exactly, we will be at the mercy of the ticketing agency's employee, and depending on what kind of day he /she is having it can be interpreted any way they want.

So if 2 million people swim near a pier, jetty, breakwall, or bouy and 20% of those people are issued tickets at $100 per ticket that will net Jenny $4,000,000.
I am sure she has already penciled the 4 milllion into next years budgit and has already spent it.

To generate revenue how about spearfishing, and I'm not just talking burbot, whitefish, suckers, and carp. How about walleye, perch, salmon and trout (If you can get close to them).

Back
Top Bottom