Senate Bill 629

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with Rep. Tonya Schuitmaker this morning and she told me that the Scuba diver and surfer exemption were in the amendments that were to be added to the Bill in committee. So, if the amended Bill does come out of committee, it should be somewhat improved.

This Bill may address the jumpers, but it does not do anything about the idiots who walk out on the piers while waves are breaking over the top. What's next, prohibiting "walking, running or any other form of foot based traffic" on the piers?

We already have municipalities that are too concerned about lawsuits to put life rings on the piers. Is it too far fetched to worry that soon we will be barred totally from "trespassing" on the piers?

Betail: We already have municipalities that are too concerned about lawsuits
This is exactly the type of society we have become, frivolous lawsuits are a way of life now a days. I also have a stupid lawsuit plan - Once I get Carpal Tunnel from typing information on the internet I'm going to sue Al Gore because he "invented the internet" If Al never invented it, then I would never get Carpal Tunnel from typing. I feel it's going to work, because some idiot sued McDonald's after buying a HOT cup of coffee then spilling it in their lap.

I always thought we (Homo Sapien) are able to make choices, think things through, know right from wrong, obviously I was mistaken. This state has more pressing problems then trying to control whose jumping off a damn pier. The Mayor of South Haven, maybe should police her own city, and not worry about the rest of us. I for one don't need a babysitter.

This state has more pressing problems then trying to control whose jumping off a damn pier.

Who exactly will admit to voting for Jenny? We need to get rid of the union mentality and return to common sense (very uncommon these days), and get rid of those frivilous lawsuits that plague our culture.
I for one see that our State has the highest unemployment... nearing 8%, but those that have voted Jenny in have voted to return to the past way of Unions full speed ahead, I see this as a way to increase our unemployment even higher than it is now.
We need serious concern for what is best for our State, not who or who can/cannot jump off our piers. We need to create a business environment that would welcome business to our State, less taxes, less taxes, less taxes, ect!

Originally Posted by CAYMANIAC
We need serious concern for what is best for our State, not who or who can/cannot jump off our piers. We need to create a business environment that would welcome business to our State, less taxes, less taxes, less taxes, ect!

AMEN
And that's all I have to say about that!!! :eyebrow:(For Now)

... those that have voted Jenny in have voted to return to the past way of Unions full speed ahead, I see this as a way to increase our unemployment even higher than it is now.

While I may agree with the point about unions, I would hate to see a businessman in office who has no respect for our natural resources.

To get back on topic, I'm glad that there was some rational progression the bill. Too often these "knee-jerk" reaction bills are poorly though out. I applaud Rep. Sheltrown
and his committee for taking the time to hear comments and their willingness to amend the bill for responsible use.

Good lord, it's amazing any of us survived our childhoods. Some of the things we used to jump from would give these folks heart attacks for sure.

That said, this legislation is probably a good thing. The difference being, for the most part, people had enough common sense not to hurt themselves doing stuff like this back then. That and our parents would never have sued anyone if we did.

I feel sorry for the kids these days sometimes.

PS:
Attention all fudgies (tourists), please play more Lotto, Club Keno, etc while in Michigan. That or turn off the lights if you're the last one here.:wink:

While I may agree with the point about unions, I would hate to see a businessman in office who has no respect for our natural resources.

I would have loved to see a buisness man in office in Michigan, especially one that is familiar with International buisness, the part that I disagree with you the most is "he has no respect for natural resources" do you know him personally? Do you live next door to him? I have lived near several of his homes, I have seen what his buisness has done for people in Michigan, especially west michigan. Also, I have close friends that work for him.
I will tell you, some of my daughter inlaws family works for Jenny.....you don't want her running Michigan, but it's too late for that. Some of my family lives in Detroit area, they would not vote for her, but those with your mind set did.
Now we are left being "blown away", and as you can see over 125,000 have left the State since last Jan. , we have the highest unemployment in the NATION, and our taxes are ridiculously high.
We need someone who is extra-ordinary (not more of the same), this will be tough, taxes will not fix Michigan's problems. And if you think you're taxed now, heaven forbid we get a national socialized medicine plan, the taxes that it would cost to run a healthcare system like that on top of the taxes that are currently imposed on us now will make many people leave this beautiful State. Unless that is your goal.
Look at the homes in Detroit for sale as well as the west side of the State, how is Jenny going to change this? Her answer = maybe we all could pay MORE taxes :lotsalove:

Good lord, it's amazing any of us survived our childhoods. Some of the things we used to jump from would give these folks heart attacks for sure.

That said, this legislation is probably a good thing. The difference being, for the most part, people had enough common sense not to hurt themselves doing stuff like this back then. That and our parents would never have sued anyone if we did.

I feel sorry for the kids these days sometimes.

PS:
Attention all fudgies (tourists), please play more Lotto, Club Keno, etc while in Michigan. That or turn off the lights if you're the last one here.:wink:

Hi Jon,

What have you been up to this past summer?? Did you do much diving? I don't seem to run into you much anymore at the dive shop.

Hmmmm, tax and spend lib or a businessman who knows how to live within the means of a budget without raising taxes... It's a hard choice... but... I do hate taxes. So I guess I'd pick the common sense approach, (That would Not be Jenney)

Quite frankly the reason the gov got reelected was because a few more people voted against what's his name then voted against what's her name. Just like the last presedential election, it was hard to figure out who to vote against. The last one I actually voted for was Perot, and that was more because it would be interesting to see what would happen then any real expectation that Washington would change. Granted he was right on most of his points, the only real problem was that Perot isn't the most stable person to have in office.

Full Disclosure: I am a member of the D[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']isgusted Party, we can't stand anyone who's running or in office and concentrate on voting against the worst candidate, assuming we can determine which of the candidates is the worst. [/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom