Semi dry suit or my suit with hooded vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Scubadude4

I have never dived a semi-dry wetsuit. I have a 3, 5, and & 7 mm full suit and a 5/3 mm hooded vest. I wear the full suit appropriate for the water temp and add the hooded vest if I need a bit more. Adds 3 mm to your trunk and a 5 mm hood. It seems to cut down water intrusion also.

I'm fine in all SE FL temps down to the mid-high 60s. I was one of the few warm divers in Galapagos in the low 60s. I'm good in So California down to the low 50s. I get cold below 52-3 degrees and was quite cold in Cape Ann at 47 degrees. There is a 7/5 mm hooded vest, I've not tried it.

I get cold fairly easily. I have a 5 mil Henderson Thermoprene wetsuit. I’m trying to decide between a Henderson hooded vest to be worn under my wetsuit or spend a little extra and get a Hollis 8/7/6 neotec semi dry suit. Opinions? Will the semi dry suit really be dryer?? I can see benefits both ways. I’m in the Florida panhandle, but currently don’t dive in the winter.

also, what’s a good boat coat for surface time.
in my experience a semi-dry is not going to keep you dry, however it does allow less water to flow through your suit making it easier for you the keep the water inside the suit warmer. it has neoprene seals like a dry suit does, before I went dry, I dived a seac semidry 7mm with a seperate hood, I also dive water that is 42 degrees in the summer in that suit. I have a tolerance for cold however, I live in the northeast

Reactions: Zef
Good boat coat...go to swimoutlet.com and search on "parka":

Here is a suggestion:
https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti...d-swim-parka-8117649/?Search=sayt&color=55902
8117649-47425-1A-zoomin.jpg

-Z

Got the same suit. Its a good one. But it compresses a lot because its that thick.and its really heavy. Way more then a normal 7mm.

I agree. The suit is built like a tank. It is heavy, but it is durable. This is a good suit to have if doing heavy surf entries/exits or climbing over rocks to get in and out of the water.

My thoughts are that it is built like a drysuit just doesn't have the inflator valve on the chest and the dump on the left upper arm/shoulder.

I have little doubt that if I somehow glued on some kind of waterproof sock or boots and mounted an inflator valve and dump valve that this suit would function without issue as a drysuit. I am tempted to do it but can't justify the expense for a project like this given I have a perfectly good drysuit hanging in the garage. But since all my reg sets have a 2nd inflator hose for use with a drysuit, I plan to use my air-nozzle attachment the next time I dive the semi-dry to see how injecting air up the sleeve works out.

-Z

Squeeze schmeeze in a semi dry you jump in get “compressed” and go diving
and in a drysuit if you don't add the air type stuff you are debilitatingly crippled
and can't continue, or die

It's uncomplicated man go diving!

Semi dry will let in some water and ( let out air for equalization so no squeeze) but much less water than a standard wetsuit. However some people find them too restrictive, especially around the head and neck due to the attached hood.

A standard back zip suit with a hooded vest combo will offer nearly as much warmth but with more mobilirty in the head and neck area.

You should try them on before buying to see how they feel.

Also, the warmth of any wetsuit depends in large part on fit. The warmest design of wetsuit will not keep you warm if you have a loose fit with areas where water can pool and take heat away from your body. Its a fine line between too loose and too tight but modern stretchy neoprene suits area bit more forgiving on fit and comfort.

due to the attached hood.

I've owned three semi dry suits and none had an attached hood. Two were Mares and the last one I bought is a Tecnomar (Spanish). All great suits but I prefer to dive dry now when the temps drop. Thick 7mm neoprene is a bugger to get into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom