Seeking Opinions on Troubling Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shoved... pushed off platform.. my bad..

Either way.. being shoved from behind while sitting solo? New diver or not, super dangerous behavior.

I agree, not saying its not dangerous/scary for new divers, just that there are better ways to handle it then calling the police, pressing charges, beating the offender up etc :D

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

only if I post it like this ... :D

OHHH I like that, wonder if I can use that in DNY. . . :popcorn:

OHHH I like that, wonder if I can use that in DNY. . . :popcorn:

You can but we will still not listen to you....remember you are missing the :banned: function :rofl3:

You can but we will still not listen to you....remember you are missing the :banned: function :rofl3:

:kicknut:

After making a phone attempt and getting no reply, yesterday I sent the following email to the quarry owner:

(Owner of Quarry - name deleted),

Did any of your Instructors mention an incident between themselves and one of our students on Sunday?

Here is the report I got from both the student and (name deleted). Im hoping you can look into it. I dont know if it was one of your Instructors or another group that was present at the quarry.

(name deleted) was leading two of his students back from diving and was coming back by the first platform (from the deep side). Upon approaching the platform he saw an Instructor working with a student on the platform and a couple others hovering off of it so he lead his students around the platform. One of his two students however became disoriented in the vis and decided to stop on the platform on the opposite side from where the Instructor was working with the student. Apparently our student saw the people on the platform, realized it was not (his group) and turned around to look behind himself all the while (name deleted) could see him from the side of the platform and (name deleted) also saw what happened next.

While our student had his back turned, the Instructor swam over to our student and pushed him in the back causing him to lose his balance. (name deleted) saw this happen and pulled our diver off the platform and out of harms way.

Id like to believe this was not one of your Instructors - who would swim over and push someone else in the back but to our knowledge, no one else was in the water at the time.

Im sure that from one professional to another, you would agree that pushing someone in the back underwater is completely unprofessional and even if it were perceived that he (our student) had impolitely intruded on a platform where a class was taking place, the more appropriate action would have been to tap him on the shoulder and ask him to move on not to shove him in the back in an attempt to push him off the platform.

I very respectfully ask you to look into the matter. (Name deleted) was unable to identify the person underwater as he moved quickly away with our student but Im hopeful you can identify him and take professional corrective action.

I think you know I respect you as a professional and hope you will look into it.

Id really rather not know who it was, I just would like you to look into it and address it.

Respectfully,

Ken Barrick, OWNER
KB Diver Services, Inc. Off the Wall Scuba Inc.
PO Box 24814 3007-A Eastern Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21220 Middle River, MD 21220
(410)-335-4654 (443)-772-0595
(443)-604-1247

Nice note, professional and hopefully well recieved. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Now for the reality. IF the quarry owner does "look into it" and bothers to reply then I'm sure it will be one of the, that's not the way I heard it. Then you have your word against mine. Unfortunately, so many instructors tend to believe that the rules don't apply to them. When complained about. Nothing. I do know this from personal experience. We have a local quarry that one or two instructors have their students leave their equipment laying in everyone elses way, on docks and just generally make a nusiance of themselves. Of course when I complained to the owner, the offending instructor insisted that it wasn't in anyones way and nothing else was ever said. I did and do get the last laugh tho. I make sure at least a few pieces of gear gets knocked into the water. I have always made sure that the bc's were bouyant tho, just barely. I have seen them float as far as a hundred yards before they got noticed.

Nice note, professional and hopefully well recieved. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Now for the reality. IF the quarry owner does "look into it" and bothers to reply then I'm sure it will be one of the, that's not the way I heard it. Then you have your word against mine. Unfortunately, so many instructors tend to believe that the rules don't apply to them. When complained about. Nothing. I do know this from personal experience. We have a local quarry that one or two instructors have their students leave their equipment laying in everyone elses way, on docks and just generally make a nusiance of themselves. Of course when I complained to the owner, the offending instructor insisted that it wasn't in anyones way and nothing else was ever said. I did and do get the last laugh tho. I make sure at least a few pieces of gear gets knocked into the water. I have always made sure that the bc's were bouyant tho, just barely. I have seen them float as far as a hundred yards before they got noticed.

:popcorn::rofl3:"OOPS"

As for the operator of the quarry... if this sort of behavior is tollerated by the owner's employees, it is time to find elsewhere to train if possible. And keep spreading the word.

A sudden lack of customers can work better than polite letters!

I agree, not saying its not dangerous/scary for new divers, just that there are better ways to handle it then calling the police, pressing charges, beating the offender up etc :D

Well, I suppose there's always putting in some funky-looking green contact lenses, and saying, "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry..."

:D

Might be very interesting when all the facts come out. As it appears this discussion has been one sided. I matter of fact I know the party involved very well and it would not surprise me if he does nothing or second best close the quarry to outside interest.
Also I'd like to get some free advertising on this forum.

Divers Den
Chaz Kafer
Maryland first and most Professional
Since 1958
Certifying all levels of diving from Open Water to Technical to Re-Breather.
PADI/TDI/SDI/NAUI/PDIC/ADUC
Oh I left out 30 Year PADI Instructor and SSI 5000 Logged dives in 1995

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom