Seeking Opinions on Troubling Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webebdivin2000,
Do you mean the instructor or quarry owner (sounds like quarry owner)? What's your take on the "shove" incident?

Might be very interesting when all the facts come out. As it appears this discussion has been one sided. I matter of fact I know the party involved very well and it would not surprise me if he does nothing or second best close the quarry to outside interest.
Also I'd like to get some free advertising on this forum.

Divers Den
Chaz Kafer
Maryland first and most Professional
Since 1958
Certifying all levels of diving from Open Water to Technical to Re-Breather.
PADI/TDI/SDI/NAUI/PDIC/ADUC
Oh I left out 30 Year PADI Instructor and SSI 5000 Logged dives in 1995

Chaz, you forgot to add God #3 to your signature, as I am #2 and the other one, well he is kinda testy about being put second. . . :popcorn: :D

well here is my 2 cents worth frist talk with the shop owner of the offending diver see if there is another side to story( maybe he thought the diver was one of his friends or something) and give the instructor a chance to plea his case then write your student and applogy if this falls on deaf ears the you vote with your pocket book and take students elsewhere and have the student follow thur with charges and as a shop file small clam suite for loss of money the money the student would have spent with you over the next say 5 years had he not had this bad experience

Chaz, you forgot to add God #3 to your signature, as I am #2 and the other one, well he is kinda testy about being put second. . .

#1. Chaz is the Number One diver in the state of Maryland, and a most respected member of the community. He took over his business from Maryland's original diver, and maintains the same high standards. He is such a good instructor that he was even able to teach my brother how to dive.

#1. Chaz is the Number One diver in the state of Maryland, and a most respected member of the community. He took over his business from Maryland's original diver, and maintains the same high standards. He is such a good instructor that he was even able to teach my brother how to dive.

according to who, you? :popcorn:

As a new diver myself that was just OW certified the first weekend in April, I have a couple of observations that I would like to share.

1) It matters not whether the student was a student or not, because this could have been a fatigued diver that was in borderline distress. This action could have seriously exacerbated the situation and brought on cardiac arrest or a panic attack, either of which could easily result in a drowning. Would this then be a mere shoving incident, or some degree of manslaughter..?

2) During my cert, I was paired up with a woman who was extremely nervous and timid in the water, and had this happened to her, she would never again don her gear!

3) During my 1st pool session, there was a group of teenagers that kept jumping in atop my instructor and I and hitting us (generally head taps with hand or foot) while we were doing exercises at the bottom of the deep end, so we moved... Everywhere we went, they followed. It was a game to them, but not to us, so on the 2nd to the final time this happened, I pulled my knife and pointed upwards at my instructor. He made a sawing motion and gave an OK sign, so the next time these bastards came down deep, I showed them the knife and they never bothered us again.

I would have a face-to-face with the other shop owner to discuss the POTENTIAL severity of this situation, and then follow up in an appropriate manner.

-Tim

I'd knock him out.

Well it's a good thing you weren't there then. But this does serve to illustrate the point that the actions of the instructor in question could cause things to excalate and/or turn an irritation into a very dangerous under-water back-fire.

I'm still very curious how the shop in question responds to the issue.

R..

This was posted on May 18th, still not resolved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom