Security check in Miami ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxAlegraD

Registered
Reaction score
I will be travelling for the first time to dive in Miami and now that security has been increased I would like to know what are the experience of other people ?

My plan is to carry on with me my REG+BP/WING.

Apart from that which operators and wrecks are recommended ?

You should have no problems. You'll have to go through the remove your shoes and show everything routine when you leave, though. I found them to be very pleasant, courteous and expedient. I was traveling to Honduras when I went through Miami in October.

Customs is customs. They don't change much. Long lines, etc.

Just flew in from Miami last week. Security was very polite and quick. Dove in the Keys so I can not recommend any operators in Miami.
Tim

Just make sure you check with the airline to see what items are banned from carryons. I was able to take most of the stuff in my save a dive kit, including allen wrenches but they took my open end wrenches, go figure. I packed that stuff in a checked bag on my return. My FredT backplate raised some eyebrows too and they searched my bag. Other than that not too bad, the usual chaotic mess.

The TSA website says you can take a bcd on board...but they have banned
bottles of any kind...in any fashion. So you can no longer drain and take off
the valve of your pony and put it in your check in baggage. Thanks TSA....Way
to go.

Call H2O Scuba out of N Miami, 305-956-3483. They have a nice boat parked right behind the shop and they are close to the inlet. Gary, the captain is great! Henry, the owner is great as well. The whole staff is friendly and willing to please.

When are you coming? I live in N Miami and dive every week. I'd like to dive with someone from the board. Ask to do the Tenneco Towers(105), Deep Freeze(135), the Andro(120), the C-One(80), and the McGallister(120).

These are all nice Miami wrecks. You may want to pop down to Key Largo and do the Spiegel Grove, the Duane, and the Bib as well.

PM me if you need a buddy.

I can't speak for local US flights, but these days if I travel international I tell my agent that I'm willing to pay extra if she can avoid routing me through the US, just so that I don't have to deal with US customs.

They will cut the locks off your check-in if they feel the need/desire, so keep that in mind when you pack. Passport is good to have, and make sure you have prescriptions for any drugs that require it. Things that are over-the-counter in one country can be prescription or illegal in another.

Good luck. Florida would be nice just to see the manatees.

MaxAlegraD:
I will be travelling for the first time to dive in Miami and now that security has been increased I would like to know what are the experience of other people ?

My plan is to carry on with me my REG+BP/WING.

I go through MIA frequently and they understand dive gear there. I carry on my regs, dive computer, camera and mask. I don't know about the backplate, they could consider it a weapon... Just as a precaution, I would pack my BP in with my checked gear. Last summer we had a guy on our flight wear his BC on board and was allowed to do so, after being thoroughly checked. As for cutting luggage locks off, TSA tells you up front, don't lock your bags, so don't lock them. I carry my checked dive gear in regular black luggage and haven't lost anything yet. Just have your passport in hand and you'll not have a bit of trouble. I never have. :palmtree: Bob

I live in Miami and fly in and out of MIA and FLL regularly with my equip. I also fly for the airlines. Carry your expensive equip with you (reg, computer, etc...). Pack your backplate. You may be able to get it on, but it will draw attention at the x-ray. TSA isn't perfect, and while one may let you by, another won't. If you do pack it to carry-on, take it out of your bag and put it in a tray to send through the x-ray. You do this for the same reason you take your laptop out. The dense metal blocks other things in your bag and makes them nervous. Being up front will get you a long way with TSA. If they don't let you take it on because they think you will use it as a blunt weapon (I doubt this will happen since a laptop could be too), you will have a problem rechecking since your checked bags will be gone by the time you get back to the ticket counter.

If in doubt, call in advance. They see scuba equip everyday.

BTW, locks are looked at now as a guarrentee for a search. Unlocked get scanned, but not neccessarily searched.

MaxAlegraD:

Go a little farther south than Key Largo and check out the Thunder Bolt...it's one of my favorite wreck dives.

As for dive gear (and politics!), I'm with Mempilot I always carry my reg and computer on and have never had a problem. There was only one time I was told my equipment needed to be stowed below with luggage but it was only because there wasn't any over head space left for my stuff...I got lucky though, the pilot overheard our conversation and interceded, he even made space for me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom