Securing knife and shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have one of the DGEx knife and shears on my BP/W. Wanted to know how if any thing more you secure it? It is a snug fit no doubt, but I'm concerned that it will fall out especially if I rub against rocks or what have you.

DX-904005_1.png

Pic from DGEx website.

Last edited:
The only time I've had a knife come out of the sheath accidentally was with an old halcyon sheath that wasn't designed well. The part that contacted the blade was too short.

The knife/sheath combo you posted is good to go.

I attached a small ring to one handle of the shears using a plastic zip tie, then put it in the sheath and clip it to a BCD D ring using a double bolt snap to the ring that is attached to the handle of the shears. The sheath has it's own plastic clip at the opposite, closed end which is also attached to the BCD. So if the shears come out of the sheath, they're attached, and it also helps because it's very difficult to reinsert them into the sheath with heavy gloves on, so I just clip it off to the BCD outside of the sheath if I use them which is rarely.

I clip my sheers to a loop inside my left pocket with a double ender. I have a trilobite cutting tool on my belt and have the sheers for backup.

shears have a length of bungie tied on the handle loop, with another loop on the end. The loop goes down over the bottom of the sheath. You stretch the bungie to extract the scissors, and the loop then comes off the sheath by a light pull downward .... bungie secures the shears by pulling them down into the sheath...

I dive a bpw, and use the pouch you've pictured in front on waist for knife. I've never had any issues or worried about it slipping out. As for the shears, since I dive with a long hose primary and necklaced 2nd, I bought the following shears and pouch on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9J694G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I cut the plastic clip off and slide the pouch onto my waist belt and put it on my right side behind a triglide, and use it to hold my long hose in place. I prefer the titanium coated shears that you have pictured because they don't rust as easily, but I do carry the shears that come with the case as a backup. This really works well for me.

Nice responses. Appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom