Seawing Nova - Foot Going Numb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RazorT

New
Reaction score
I am getting issues with my right foot going numb and the circulation being cut off due to my fin. I have seawing novas (large) with typhoon boots (6.5mm) and the pain/numbness would kick in after 5-10 minutes, my left foot was fine but right foot is slightly bigger by half a size which I am guessing is the problem. The only way to get rid of the pain/numbness was to remove my fin for a short time to allow the blood back into my foot. Circulation is being restricted at the top middle part of my foot.

I have just bought new boots (scubapro delta shorts) hoping that it would solve the problem but I have just tried them on and and had similar discomfort.

Now I love the performance of the novas but am fearing that I might not be compatible with them. Any help would be appreciated.

Will the shop who sold them let you return them for XL?

I have the same problem with a different fin/boot set-up. If I go to a larger sized fin (and fin pocket), I fear that they will come off in the water!

GJS

Reactions: Jax
Will the shop who sold them let you return them for XL?

Unfortunately they wouldn't do that. I think the size up might be too big for me. I am a uk size 10 and according the to shop and this size chart I am smack bang in the middle of the Large which is the size I have. I could try the size up but I think it might be too big.

SCUBAPRO - SIZING INFO

I have the same problem with a different fin/boot set-up. If I go to a larger sized fin (and fin pocket), I fear that they will come off in the water!

GJS

I fear the same.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they wouldn't do that. I think the size up might be too big for me. I am a uk size 10 and according the to shop and this size chart I am smack bang in the middle of the Large which is the size I have. I could try the size up but I think it might be too big.

I fear the same.

That really sucks. If you wear the gear at home - boots and fins - do you get the same affect? Or is it only in the water?

What about a different set of spring straps? Maybe something that has some adjustment to them?

Do you think the numbness comes from the side squeeze, or from the foot being pushed in?

If you can find something slightly too big (other than your feet) to shove into the foot pocket you can try heating it with a heat gun or very hot water.

Someone on deperblue cut a slit, and holes in their foot pocket. They then laced the fins up with a shoelace to fit. That seems risky to me, though.

You can loosen the bungee type fin strap a bit by opening the cover on one side and working it loose.

Unfortunately, I think it is the design and materials of the foot pocket that are the critical success factors. It then becomes a trial and error ordeal to find fins that do not make your feet go numb. This can be an expensive proposition since everyone's feet are unique; the fins will be perfect for a diver with size 10 feet but not work for a different size 10 diver.

I joined a small dive club (40 members) and I am going to see if I can try different types of fins to see which work best for me.

Regards

GJS

When I look at the size chart it puts you in an XL for a UK10 with 6.5mm boots.

SCUBAPRO - SIZING INFO

I fear the same.

The most likely cause of making your foot go numb is the bungee on the right foot is too tight. You can pull the fin strap cover off and readjust the bungee. When you remove the plastic cover from the fin post you will see how the bungee is rigged. You may have to purchase a bungee that is longer than the one currently on your fin.

There use to be a youtube video showing you how to adjust the bungee, but I couldn't find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom