Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You two are clearly exceptions to the type of person I was laying out in my post :). I was just annoyed everyone was trying to push me towards the same style suit when it was clearly not what I wanted. Currently have no need for dry gloves and didnt want the bulk of rings. I understand everyone everyone has their preferences and every option is viable, just going all out from the getgo without doing some research seems risky.
Sometimes when on a long hike it’s not bad to listen to people going the opposite direction rather than walk the 10 miles to see that the bridge is out for yourself :wink:

at so point having quick change seals will save a dive or maybe even a whole trip.

You two are clearly exceptions to the type of person I was laying out in my post :). I was just annoyed everyone was trying to push me towards the same style suit when it was clearly not what I wanted. Currently have no need for dry gloves and didnt want the bulk of rings. I understand everyone everyone has their preferences and every option is viable, just going all out from the getgo without doing some research seems risky.

When I started diving, I wanted to buy a computer. Everyone told me to just get a Shearwater. I wanted AI, which they did not have at the time, so I bought an Oceanic. Now, I have 5 Shearwaters and the Oceanic is gone... :D

The nice thing about wrist and neck seals is later on down the road you can add the accessories if you decide you'd like them. Next time you need a new wrist seal, add the upgrade. I do the all the time. No downside for me really - most still come and buy wrist seals rather than order online, and I spend less time sniffing glue when that person tears a wrist seal.

If you decide you want dry gloves in the meantime, you can throw on the sitech/viking cuffs and do pull over gloves. They're a little more bulky than other rings but you don't need to glue them.

Later, when you move to gluing them in, you can glue in the viking cuffs, or sell them and glue in whatever your choice is.

Sadly you can't change the zip :p but honestly I'm always diving with someone or if I'm not (safety swimming, etc) I've even asked bystanders to zip me in/out CAREFULLY.

I liked @stuartv description of his Ultra as "a compressed neoprene suit will also let me get away with minimal undergarments. I.e. I wanted to be able to use it like a wetsuit, but be dry and warmer." I have the same objective in a minimal suit just for boat diving in water temps of 50-60°F, and came up with this build:

Step 1: Seaskin Ultra, all black
Step 2: Convenience Zip with Velcro Flap, Light Monkey Non-Balanced P-Valve, main zipper Velcro Cover
Step 3: All neoprene seals
Step 4: All Sitech Valves
Step 5: Neoprene Socks
Step 6: Kelvar Knee Pads (no stitching, no logo)
Step 7: Braces
Step 8: Bellows Pocket or Flat Pocket (1x)

Add: 150gsm Undergarment

I'm uncertain about two options:
Is the main zipper cover worthwhile as protection or does it tend to be in the way when using the zipper?
I've never had a drysuit with pockets, will the Bellows pocket go flat when not in use, or should I just go with the Flat pocket option?

Appreciate any comments.
I finally got around to ordering this suit. I'll report back on how it goes.

I'd like to see them offer a front zip option on this suit.
Hi
Why do everybody want a front zip?!
If you are diving with a buddy, just ask your buddy to help you.
If you are solo, just use you spool and a solid point and that is it!

Can you elaborate on this technique? Not familiar with it.
attach a spool to a solid point and leave like one meter of line, clip the zip "handle" to the double ender and move graciously :) to close-open the zip.
Plenty of wax and after a few tries, you do it with style and ease :) :)

attach a spool to a solid point and leave like one meter of line, clip the zip "handle" to the double ender and move graciously :) to close-open the zip.
Plenty of wax and after a few tries, you do it with style and ease :) :)

How do you unclip the double-ender before the dive? Or do you leave it attached during the dive for ease of unzipping after the dive?

no you don't leave the double ender to the suit as you need it for your spool :)
easy to clip-unclip as it is at you shoulder!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom