Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received my suit today and have some questions that are answered differently throughout this thread.

1. Plastic dry zip, how to lube, what to use and where to put it. Sounds like just the docking end.

2. How to store? Should the dry zip be fully closed, open or partial?

Thanks!
TiZip (most likely the plastic zipper's manufacturer) sells a branded product that's available through Dive Right In Scuba for $15 a tube, but Wal-Mart's online store has something that looks identical at $5 a tube. You'll only need to lube the zipper every now and then; I do mine maybe twice, three times a year, and I'm diving pretty much every weekend from spring through fall and once monthly during the winter. Squeeze a little glob into the zipper's docking end, close and reopen the zipper a few times, and you're off to the races.

I've had two Seaskins with plastic zippers, and I've stored and transported the suits fully open with zero problems. However, I hang the suit upside down by the feet to dry, and transportation usually involves a 90-minute, temperature-controlled car ride, so my experience may not be typical.

I ordered the Seaskin short neck hood, which is supposed to be MTM. It is far too small. I’ll try to stretch it, but if that doesn’t work, I’ll offer it up to anyone here who wants it. What dry suit hoods (5mm) do you recommend? The K01 hoods look nice, but $$$$.
The K01 is indeed pricey, but completely worth it. Hands down best hood I've worn ever. I've had it on in 53° water in Nevada as well as 77° water recently in Mx.

I received my suit today and have some questions that are answered differently throughout this thread.

1. Plastic dry zip, how to lube, what to use and where to put it. Sounds like just the docking end.

2. How to store? Should the dry zip be fully closed, open or partial?

Thanks!
I was curious to know what type of lube Seaskin sent you. Was it a chapstick-sized container of lube or did you get a little brick of beeswax?

The K01 is indeed pricey, but completely worth it. Hands down best hood I've worn ever. I've had it on in 53° water in Nevada as well as 77° water recently in Mx.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been stretching my Seaskin hood. It’s much better, but still a bit snug for my liking.

Sorry for posting so much, but until get back on my feet, I’m living my diving life vicariously through the rest of you. My dive buddy outgrew an undersuit and at the price of dinner, relegated it to me to use. It’s a few years old, but has little use and made by Mobby’s. The shell is quite a bit more durable than the Seaskin 150 and it is a bit more lofty. So it might be closer to the 250. Wondering if I should replace the metal zipper pull tabs.

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

Finally ready to order mine after six months of procrastinating. Options as follows:

Suit & Stitching
Color: Black & Red
Thread Color: Red

Style & cut
Fully Telescopic Torso

Zip & pee valve options
Main body dry zip cover, same color as arms
YKK Plastic Dry Zip
Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve

Seal, neck, and wrist systems
Quick neck with Silflex seal - black
SiTech Oval Cuff - black

Valve options
SiTech Valve system (including hose)

Boot & sock options
Compressed Neoprene socks

Additional protection
Kevlar knee pads
PU shoulder reinforcement

Comfort & customization
40mm suspenders
No logos
Change mat/bag upgrade
Elasticated back

Pocket & attachment points
2x Expedition pockets (forward facing)

I'm also purchasing a set of 150g undergarments, an extra neck seal, set of extra wrist seals, the Rolock 90 kit, and a set of Showa unlined gloves.

Comments or thoughts? Am I not thinking of something?

I was curious to know what type of lube Seaskin sent you. Was it a chapstick-sized container of lube or did you get a little brick of beeswax?
Look for the lip balm container by ZipTech (also sold by Gear Aid), contains no silicone.

Sorry for posting so much, but until get back on my feet, I’m living my diving life vicariously through the rest of you. My dive buddy outgrew an undersuit and at the price of dinner, relegated it to me to use. It’s a few years old, but has little use and made by Mobby’s. The shell is quite a bit more durable than the Seaskin 150 and it is a bit more lofty. So it might be closer to the 250. Wondering if I should replace the metal zipper pull tabs.

View attachment 834597

View attachment 834596
Dive it before you do anything, the zippers look fine to me? It looks like a nice suit, but I'm not sure it looks 250 lofty?
Finally ready to order mine after six months of procrastinating. Options as follows:

Suit & Stitching
Color: Black & Red
Thread Color: Red

Style & cut
Fully Telescopic Torso

Zip & pee valve options
Main body dry zip cover, same color as arms
YKK Plastic Dry Zip
Fitted SiTech Trigon Pee Valve

Seal, neck, and wrist systems
Quick neck with Silflex seal - black
SiTech Oval Cuff - black

Valve options
SiTech Valve system (including hose)

Boot & sock options
Compressed Neoprene socks

Additional protection
Kevlar knee pads
PU shoulder reinforcement

Comfort & customization
40mm suspenders
No logos
Change mat/bag upgrade
Elasticated back

I'm also purchasing a set of 150g undergarments, an extra neck seal, set of extra wrist seals, the Rolock 90 kit, and a set of Showa unlined gloves.

Get the word "Kevlar" removed from the knee pads, that's a special request (I don't know why).

Do you plan on SM diving? Hence the forward pockets?

I believe the elastic back is for women.

I didn't see a warm neck, not sure if that's needed or not. I got whatever the deluxe neck is. In the beginning I didn't like it but now I've gotten used to it and hopefully with a newer hood I can keep some warmth around my neck (my current hood has no bib at all).

I got all the pads / braces and don't regret it (yet), and I really beat the hell out of my suit. It stays dirty. I don't know how much they help, but I did what I did.

Comfort & customization
Elasticated back

Elasticated back: is your waist considerably smaller than your chest/seat? Per the website this option is aimed at humans with an hourglass shape. I think most males with a small/medium waist also have a small/medium seat.

Expedition pockets facing forward: are you a sidemount diver and this is something you are looking for in particular?

Get the word "Kevlar" removed from the knee pads, that's a special request (I don't know why).

Do you plan on SM diving? Hence the forward pockets?

I believe the elastic back is for women.

I didn't see a warm neck, not sure if that's needed or not. I got whatever the deluxe neck is. In the beginning I didn't like it but now I've gotten used to it and hopefully with a newer hood I can keep some warmth around my neck (my current hood has no bib at all).

I got all the pads / braces and don't regret it (yet), and I really beat the hell out of my suit. It stays dirty. I don't know how much they help, but I did what I did.

Elasticated back: is your waist considerably smaller than your chest/seat? Per the website this option is aimed at humans with an hourglass shape. I think most males with a small/medium waist also have a small/medium seat.

Expedition pockets facing forward: are you a sidemount diver and this is something you are looking for in particular?
Kevlar markings: I had no idea that was even an option, honestly I thought the text was there for the website images only, thanks for pointing it out!

Elasticated back: Yes, I have a pretty significant difference (16cm) between chest/seat and waist. (110cm vs 94cm).

Expedition pockets: I have a pair of "homemade" tech shorts that have the pockets forward facing, but I'm not married to the idea. I don't dive SM (and don't plan to), so probably ought to just switch them to regular.

I don't dive cold water, mostly east/west coasts of Florida, so I didn't get any warm neck options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom