Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just received the Si Tech Combi tool that was missing from my order back in February. I emailed them on February 20th and got an immediate response, but it didn't ship until March 11. Took 12 days by Royal Mail. I think those poor saps are buried with orders right now. Good on them for following up, though.

Good day all, hope you're all having a wonderful time wherever you are.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this mega thread, it's an incredible resource for lurkers like myself. I just received my drysuit after a long time of waiting, and have already taken it out on a nice date (read, a couple dives). So far I'm pretty happy with it, minus a few small errors that they said they'll fix up for me. I do have one main problem though.

The dump valve I got was the low profile Apeks one (the default one which comes with the Nova suit). When I raise my elbow to dump, I can't feel or hear a thing! I asked my buddies to take a look and they said they saw it venting fine, but I seriously can't tell at all if any air is going through. The only way I know if I've dumped any air at all is when I settle back into trim and feel the suit squeeze more than before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just something to get used to (I've never dived dry before)? How do I stop panic gripping me like an upset octopus?

Good day all, hope you're all having a wonderful time wherever you are.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this mega thread, it's an incredible resource for lurkers like myself. I just received my drysuit after a long time of waiting, and have already taken it out on a nice date (read, a couple dives). So far I'm pretty happy with it, minus a few small errors that they said they'll fix up for me. I do have one main problem though.

The dump valve I got was the low profile Apeks one (the default one which comes with the Nova suit). When I raise my elbow to dump, I can't feel or hear a thing! I asked my buddies to take a look and they said they saw it venting fine, but I seriously can't tell at all if any air is going through. The only way I know if I've dumped any air at all is when I settle back into trim and feel the suit squeeze more than before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just something to get used to (I've never dived dry before)? How do I stop panic gripping me like an upset octopus?
Thinner hood, don't exhale while venting... nothing else preventing you from hearing it. Maybe open it a little bit so more bubbles come out at once? I wear a 7mm hood, run a scooter, and suck air like a hyperventilating elephant, yet I can still hear my sitech dump air. You'll learn to listen for it.

Thinner hood, don't exhale while venting... nothing else preventing you from hearing it. Maybe open it a little bit so more bubbles come out at once? I wear a 7mm hood, run a scooter, and suck air like a hyperventilating elephant, yet I can still hear my sitech dump air. You'll learn to listen for it.
I'm not wearing a hood yet o_O It's also fully in the open position.. But good idea to stay _super_ still and not breathe out at all, and listen for it again. I might even have to dedicate the next dive to just learning to hear for the air dumping.

I'm not wearing a hood yet o_O It's also fully in the open position.. But good idea to stay _super_ still and not breathe out at all, and listen for it again. I might even have to dedicate the next dive to just learning to hear for the air dumping.
You don't need it fully open, that's crazy pants. Go half or 1/4 open and adjust from there. If not you'll be venting and puffing back up at the slightest rotation or movement of your arm.

You don't need it fully open, that's crazy pants. Go half or 1/4 open and adjust from there. If not you'll be venting and puffing back up at the slightest rotation or movement of your arm.
I am crazy pants!

Idk, I keep mine open all the way 95% of the time. It's nice when coming up to just have it vent without messing with anything. The only time I close it if I'm not in trim for some reason.

This could be the difference between 4E undergarments being more dense, less likely to compress... not sure.

I am crazy pants!

Idk, I keep mine open all the way 95% of the time. It's nice when coming up to just have it vent without messing with anything. The only time I close it if I'm not in trim for some reason.

This could be the difference between 4E undergarments being more dense, less likely to compress... not sure.
With my sitech I think it's maybe 1/3 open. Much more and anytime I roll or lift my arm to get warm air to my left hand and it's dumping. If I need faster I just press it but I haven't needed to do that in a long time.

With my sitech I think it's maybe 1/3 open. Much more and anytime I roll or lift my arm to get warm air to my left hand and it's dumping. If I need faster I just press it but I haven't needed to do that in a long time.
Mine are Sitech. The only way to get it to really vent (for me) is to roll my shoulder around some. I never feel like too much comes out. I have never pressed the button.

I really think this boils down to the different material undergarments. With my old suit I would have to close it like you're suggesting with the thinsulate undersuit I had.

You will be able to feel it after a while. Just keep diving. It'll become second nature.

About the suit: I managed to tear a wrist seal on my very first dive. Luckily, I had the Rolocks so no big deal. The neck seal was a bit too tight. I’ll go again before I decide to trim it. Even though I siliconed the mating surfaces of the Rolocks, they were tight and I needed help getting them locked in. That’s probably my stiff fingers and bad technique. It will get better. Good news is that I stayed perfectly dry and I’m stoked for more!
I just finished installing the Rolock 90 kit. Glove of choice is a Showa 720 11/XL nitrile and the yellow 10/L liners from a 495 set. Easy peasy. The glove rings rotate and lock/unlock without problem using the same hand twist technique as shown in the Rolock 90 vids.

During the install/switch over, one thing I noted was how Seaskin installed the Sitech silicone wrist seals on the QCS Oval rings, with the seal's edge lip placed all the way to the last groove, not to the 2nd grove as shown in the Rolock vids. I confirmed the edge/lip placement in an older Seaskin video as well... all the way to the last groove.

The Sitech manual provided with the suit delivery, explains the proper groove to use depends on how the suit mfr installs the permanent ring into the suit. Since Seaskin preinstalled the seals in the last groove, I would assume that as the proper setup to use when installing the Rolock rings (groove system appears to be identical to the Sitech QCS Oval).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom