Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nah
Non-telescopic was initially, they added telescopic later.

It's been a while. I'm old. But, I definitely have the telescoping torso and I can tell that it helps with donning/doffing. If I forget to undo the crotch strap before I try to take the suit off, it is definitely hard to get the neck seal up, over my head, and off.

It's been a while. I'm old. But, I definitely have the telescoping torso and I can tell that it helps with donning/doffing. If I forget to undo the crotch strap before I try to take the suit off, it is definitely hard to get the neck seal up, over my head, and off.
the non-telescoping version also has a crotch strap; it just controls how MUCH material is included in that overlapping area. IIRC.

Did anyone get the "Tech boots"? They are an upgrade to the standard attached boot. In the pictures they look similar to a full sole cold water wet boot but I assume slightly bigger in width and length to accommodate socks inside. Does that sound like an accurate description? Can anyone speak to the size and width of these tech boots? I typically wear a size 9 (US) EE hiking boot. So my feet are a little wider than normal. I'm hoping these are forgiving enough in width and length in order to accommodate undergarments to also accommodate the width of my feet.

Hi Rob. My feet have a high arch on the inside and a low arch on the outside, so I have a hard time finding shoes that fit. So I did not spring for the tech boots when I ordered my Seaskin, and would definitely not recommend an attached boot. My suit has the compressed neoprene sock, which I pair with a thin merino sock on the inside, and a wetsuit bootie on the outside. It took some shopping around to find a bootie that fit nicely, which happens to be a 3mm Deep6 bootie in 1 size larger than my regular shoes, but they are discontinued and sold out in sizes smaller than 12.

If I were to do it again, I'd order to compressed neoprene sock and some thin merino undersocks (ski socks work well). Then bring the suit into my local LDS's and look for a cheap, thin wetsuit bootie that is comfortable over the top. I really see no need for a big boot, either for extra warmth or extra stiffness, my booties is just there to protect the compressed neo sock. PNW waters are a smidge chillier than CA waters, but I wouldn't expect them to be cold enough to require thick undersocks or a thick boot for rec dives at least. YMMV.

I have the neoprene socks on my Nova. After trying several different scuba bootie options over it, the best fit I have found (for ME) is (by far) the NRS Paddle Shoes.

http://www.rei.com/product/881348/nrs-paddle-wetshoes-mens

All the other ones I've tried have been too narrow. One that fits my width (and I have very narrow feet) would be way longer than necessary.

The NRS ones fit great over my neo socks with a thin wool sock or a thick 150gsm Thinsulate sock.

Credit to @tbone1004 for turning me onto these.

I have the neoprene socks on my Nova. After trying several different scuba bootie options over it, the best fit I have found (for ME) is (by far) the NRS Paddle Shoes.

All the other ones I've tried have been too narrow. One that fits my width (and I have very narrow feet) would be way longer than necessary.

The NRS ones fit great over my neo socks with a thin wool sock or a thick 150gsm Thinsulate sock.

What about the boots here?

Booties

Seaskin Tech boots look very similar to Santi ones, so I guess they are the same OEM.
Haven't seen them by myself, but look at the pictures Seaskin - Santi

I like Tech boots option and had it on my Ursuit... still can't understand how I could miss it while ordering Nova)))
So I dive with default boots now. And they seem to run a half size (or even one size) smaller or don't assume thick socks. I wear 43 EUR, thus ordered 43/44 EUR and the boots are rather tight with just ordinary thick socks.

Hey Stuart,

On those NRS overboots, are they true to size? IOW, if you wear a size 9 hiking boot, are they sized assuming the person would be wearing socks underneath? Or did you get a size up? We have an REI nearby, if the lockdown isn't keeping them closed and the boots are in the store, maybe I can go try them on with double wool socks to account for neoprene socks and a pair of dry socks.

One of goals is to be able to use my RK3 fins in both wet boots and dry boots if possible. Luckily for me, my size 9 feet are on the low end of the RK3 large size chart range. My wet boots are already 7mm full sole boots. If the drysuit socks and overboots fit in those fins, I'd be in business.

Hey Stuart,

On those NRS overboots, are they true to size? IOW, if you wear a size 9 hiking boot, are they sized assuming the person would be wearing socks underneath? Or did you get a size up? We have an REI nearby, if the lockdown isn't keeping them closed and the boots are in the store, maybe I can go try them on with double wool socks to account for neoprene socks and a pair of dry socks.

One of goals is to be able to use my RK3 fins in both wet boots and dry boots if possible. Luckily for me, my size 9 feet are on the low end of the RK3 large size chart range. My wet boots are already 7mm full sole boots. If the drysuit socks and overboots fit in those fins, I'd be in business.

I bought mine at the REI in Fairfax. :) I took my drysuit and socks with me to the store. Got the sizes I wanted to try on, sat down and removed my socks and shoes and put on my thin wool socks with my 150gsm Thinsulate socks, then put just my feet and lower legs into my drysuit. Then tried on the paddle shoes. :)

My normal shoe size is 10.5. My NRS paddle shoes are size 12.

I have never had any luck using the same fins for wetsuit and drysuit. Not only do I need one size larger fins for drysuit (XL vs L), I need fins that are negatively buoyant, as well. In a wetsuit, I use neutral fins for most diving - except back mount doubles, where I use fins that are a bit negative, but not as negative as my drysuit fins.

EDIT: Doh! You're probably in Washington state, not DC....

I bought mine at the REI in Fairfax. :) I took my drysuit and socks with me to the store. Got the sizes I wanted to try on, sat down and removed my socks and shoes and put on my thin wool socks with my 150gsm Thinsulate socks, then put just my feet and lower legs into my drysuit. Then tried on the paddle shoes. :)

My normal shoe size is 10.5. My NRS paddle shoes are size 12.

I have never had any luck using the same fins for wetsuit and drysuit. Not only do I need one size larger fins for drysuit (XL vs L), I need fins that are negatively buoyant, as well. In a wetsuit, I use neutral fins for most diving - except back mount doubles, where I use fins that are a bit negative, but not as negative as my drysuit fins.

EDIT: Doh! You're probably in Washington state, not DC....
Technically, my feet are 8 1/2 EE so the 10s would probably do well. I typically wear 9 hiking boots simply because my feet are wide. One thing I like right off the bat looking at the pictures and reviews of these boots, is that the "toe box" looks generous. So the extra size and a half up to 10s would be good with attached neoprene socks and dry socks. Still gonna see if I can get in REI for a real fit. I already wear 7mm full soled boots even in tropical water. So I could see using these with a pair of neoprene socks to fill the space for wet dives. I'm not as worried about the heavier fins. Even with 7mm wet boots on in tropical waters, my legs still sank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom