Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lexvil Thank you, very helpful feedback. I have been focused on getting the drysuit order correct but I shall have to research undergarments more thoroughly. I have treated them as somewhat of an afterthought, which was a mistake. What do you prefer to use?

Also, if you could only have one drysuit and both had front zip, would you opt for the Nova or the Ultra?
If I could only have one and I could get neoprene in a front zip, that would be my choice but the shell suit works great. I’m using heavy wool base and Waterproof 3D foam type main, when I want to feel a little warmer for long dives I add a waffle fleece pull over and some under armor over the wool and under the waterproof.

First, my diving with this suit will focus on 32F-45F water on recreational and eventually tech dives on Lake Erie wrecks.

1) Ultra vs Nova? I am only going to have one drysuit. Neoprene reviews and explanations sound like it offers a better underwater experience, but membrane suits are much more common even up north in the land of cold water. I assume there is a reason for this.
2) Plastic or metal zipper? (I have more faith in plastic from non-scuba experience, so long as I don't drop anything on it. Which I won't. Is that accurate for drysuits?)
5) 250 thinsulate or 150? I dive without thermal protection until it hits 65F, so if more typical divers would use the 250 in mid-30's temps I would lean towards the 150 for my own comfort. What temp ranges do these weights cover for other people?
6) How does this option list look? (I have base wicking layers and no need for a pee valve)

Options:
2) Dry Zip Cover
2) YKK Plastic Zip
3) Warm Neck Simple
3) Neoprene Neck Seal (more durable, comfortable, good for my thick neck, no unnoticed catastrophic seal tears)
3) SiTech Oval Cuff Rings (everyone I dive with has dry gloves, so start as you mean to go on)
4) DIR Dump
4) Increase LP Hose Length (chest size recommendation)
4) Comfort Patch
5) Neoprene Socks
6) Kevlar Knee Pads
7) Telescopic Torso
7) 40mm braces
7) Name Badge (cheap vanity)
7) No logos
7) Bag Upgrade
7) Name on Bag (more vanity)
8) Large Zipped Pocket (2x)
8) Computer Strap Patch (2x) (because I love my Perdix)

Add-ons:
1) 150g thinsulate undersuit
2) Thinsulate Socks
3) Warm Neck Hood
4) Antares dryglove system
5) Gloves

Any wisdom on suit selection would be much appreciated. (I will be training after I get the suit)
@stuartv @lexvil ?

Hey @Bierstadt,

Just my 2 cents - probably mostly redundant.

If I were only going to have 1 suit, it would be the Nova. But, my reasons for that may not carry the same weight with you. My reasons are:

- front zip (asking which, if they were both front zip, is irrelevant, since you cannot get an Ultra with front zip)
- lighter and quicker drying - so, better for air travel
- not as hot when worn in warm weather
- a bit more versatile in the range of undergarment thicknesses it will accommodate, because of the telescopic torso

If I were ONLY going to use it locally, always with a buddy to help zip it, and in water that was 50+, I would go with the Ultra. But, for water down in the upper 30s to low 40s, I go with the Nova, so that I could use very thick undies with it for those temps, and still have a good diving experience when using the suit with thin undies in warmer water.

Honestly, though, all that said, I think the issues of weight, drying, and travel are the big factors. Oh, and zipper placement. If those aren't factors for you, then I think it's just kind of personal preference. Either one could be used comfortably.

I have owned 4 drysuits. My newest (the Ultra) has a metal zipper (because they don't offer a plastic zipper option on the Ultra). All the previous had plastic and I've had no reason yet to regret having plastic.

I dived Lake Erie last September. I wore my Seaskin Nova with the 250gm undersuit on the first day. I thought it was warmer than I needed. I wore the Nova with the 150gm undersuit on the second day and was quite happy with that. It sounds like you are even more cold-tolerant than I am. I will put on some kind of full wetsuit when the water temp gets much below 80. Though I did just dive 6 days in a row, 4 dives per day, in Utila, where the water was 80 - 81, and I did all that diving with only shorts and a rash guard. I started to feel a little chilly in the water on the last day. I had a 1.5mm full suit with me, but just never bothered to put it on.

Regarding your option list:

- I would get the Si Tech Quick Neck system. A neo neck seal is very durable. I got one on my new Ultra. But, I only did that because I have a backup dry suit and I will never fly anywhere with just the Ultra. For your one and only suit, I would have replaceable seals all around.

- Waterproof now sells a replaceable neoprene neck seal that you can use in a Quick Neck system. I have one for my Nova, but haven't installed it yet. DRiS sells them.

- My opinion is that the Kubi dry glove system is the best system on the market. I think the second best is the Ultima. Rolock and the different Si Tech systems come somewhere way below those two. In my opinion. I have posted a long piece in the past comparing Kubi and Ultima. Search for that if you want. The gist is, I think Kubi is better, but I can't say that it is enough better to be worth the extra money. That is up to each individual. I invested in Kubi before the Ultima system was around, so that's what I stick with. If my suits all burned up in fire tomorrow, I would probably still buy Kubi again, because I think the little bit better that it is, versus Ultima, is worth it - TO ME.

If you have big hands, the oval rings may or may not be big enough for you. My hands take size L or XL gloves, just depending on the specifics. So, large-ish. I use the Kubi 80mm rings. I have not compared them, but since the oval rings are one-size-fits-all, I am skeptical that my Kubi rings are very much more bulky than the oval rings. Kubi offers 90 and 100 mm rings as well, so my 80mm are on the smaller side. They are just barely big enough to get my hand through with a glove liner on - which means they fit perfectly.

- I do not like hoods with a skirt. I would (and did, actually) get the short neck hood. It still overlaps the neck seal. Also, I got the Seaskin hood with my Ultra, but I have not worn it in the water yet. After trying it on, I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't fit as snug around my head as my other hoods and the face opening seems very small. But, I will actually try it in the water before I give it a final judgment. Regardless of the hood brand, though, I only have and use "drysuit hoods" which means no skirt. All the hoods that I have overlap the neck seal, so can be tucked into the simple warm neck (just by a little bit).

- I like all your other options. Pee valves are awesome, but they're easy to add yourself, so not compelling to order one up front. I did not get the DIR valve placement, but after hearing feedback from a couple of friends that did, I would consider it on my next suit. It was not an option for the Ultra. The DIR placement seems like it makes dumping gas even easier. However, with really thick undies on, and depending on what harness you have on your BCD/BPW and whatever other stuff you may have in your chest area, my concern would be that the DIR placement might be really hard to reach if you needed to adjust it during a dive. My normal placement can be a little bit of a stretch to reach when I'm dressed for really cold water and carrying deco cylinders.

- One other option you didn't list is Trilobites. I did not get that option on my Nova. I did on my Ultra and I am glad I did. I got one on each forearm. When I ordered my Nova, I didn't really understand exactly what that option was offering. I'm glad I paid more attention when ordered the Ultra. For the price, you get a pouch that holds a Trilobite sewn onto the suit. AND you get the Trilobite itself, with the normal spare blades. The cost is not a whole lot more than what it would cost you to just go buy a Trilobite at your local dive shop anyway. And it's sewn to the suit, so no straps to dick around with or figuring out where to put it.

Good luck!

Hey @Bierstadt,

Just my 2 cents - probably mostly redundant.

If I were only going to have 1 suit, it would be the Nova. But, my reasons for that may not carry the same weight with you. My reasons are:

- front zip (asking which, if they were both front zip, is irrelevant, since you cannot get an Ultra with front zip)
- lighter and quicker drying - so, better for air travel
- not as hot when worn in warm weather
- a bit more versatile in the range of undergarment thicknesses it will accommodate, because of the telescopic torso

If I were ONLY going to use it locally, always with a buddy to help zip it, and in water that was 50+, I would go with the Ultra. But, for water down in the upper 30s to low 40s, I go with the Nova, so that I could use very thick undies with it for those temps, and still have a good diving experience when using the suit with thin undies in warmer water.

Honestly, though, all that said, I think the issues of weight, drying, and travel are the big factors. Oh, and zipper placement. If those aren't factors for you, then I think it's just kind of personal preference. Either one could be used comfortably.

I have owned 4 drysuits. My newest (the Ultra) has a metal zipper (because they don't offer a plastic zipper option on the Ultra). All the previous had plastic and I've had no reason yet to regret having plastic.

I dived Lake Erie last September. I wore my Seaskin Nova with the 250gm undersuit on the first day. I thought it was warmer than I needed. I wore the Nova with the 150gm undersuit on the second day and was quite happy with that. It sounds like you are even more cold-tolerant than I am. I will put on some kind of full wetsuit when the water temp gets much below 80. Though I did just dive 6 days in a row, 4 dives per day, in Utila, where the water was 80 - 81, and I did all that diving with only shorts and a rash guard. I started to feel a little chilly in the water on the last day. I had a 1.5mm full suit with me, but just never bothered to put it on.

Regarding your option list:

- I would get the Si Tech Quick Neck system. A neo neck seal is very durable. I got one on my new Ultra. But, I only did that because I have a backup dry suit and I will never fly anywhere with just the Ultra. For your one and only suit, I would have replaceable seals all around.

- Waterproof now sells a replaceable neoprene neck seal that you can use in a Quick Neck system. I have one for my Nova, but haven't installed it yet. DRiS sells them.

- My opinion is that the Kubi dry glove system is the best system on the market. I think the second best is the Ultima. Rolock and the different Si Tech systems come somewhere way below those two. In my opinion. I have posted a long piece in the past comparing Kubi and Ultima. Search for that if you want. The gist is, I think Kubi is better, but I can't say that it is enough better to be worth the extra money. That is up to each individual. I invested in Kubi before the Ultima system was around, so that's what I stick with. If my suits all burned up in fire tomorrow, I would probably still buy Kubi again, because I think the little bit better that it is, versus Ultima, is worth it - TO ME.

If you have big hands, the oval rings may or may not be big enough for you. My hands take size L or XL gloves, just depending on the specifics. So, large-ish. I use the Kubi 80mm rings. I have not compared them, but since the oval rings are one-size-fits-all, I am skeptical that my Kubi rings are very much more bulky than the oval rings. Kubi offers 90 and 100 mm rings as well, so my 80mm are on the smaller side. They are just barely big enough to get my hand through with a glove liner on - which means they fit perfectly.

- I do not like hoods with a skirt. I would (and did, actually) get the short neck hood. It still overlaps the neck seal. Also, I got the Seaskin hood with my Ultra, but I have not worn it in the water yet. After trying it on, I'm not sure I like it. It doesn't fit as snug around my head as my other hoods and the face opening seems very small. But, I will actually try it in the water before I give it a final judgment. Regardless of the hood brand, though, I only have and use "drysuit hoods" which means no skirt. All the hoods that I have overlap the neck seal, so can be tucked into the simple warm neck (just by a little bit).

- I like all your other options. Pee valves are awesome, but they're easy to add yourself, so not compelling to order one up front. I did not get the DIR valve placement, but after hearing feedback from a couple of friends that did, I would consider it on my next suit. It was not an option for the Ultra. The DIR placement seems like it makes dumping gas even easier. However, with really thick undies on, and depending on what harness you have on your BCD/BPW and whatever other stuff you may have in your chest area, my concern would be that the DIR placement might be really hard to reach if you needed to adjust it during a dive. My normal placement can be a little bit of a stretch to reach when I'm dressed for really cold water and carrying deco cylinders.

- One other option you didn't list is Trilobites. I did not get that option on my Nova. I did on my Ultra and I am glad I did. I got one on each forearm. When I ordered my Nova, I didn't really understand exactly what that option was offering. I'm glad I paid more attention when ordered the Ultra. For the price, you get a pouch that holds a Trilobite sewn onto the suit. AND you get the Trilobite itself, with the normal spare blades. The cost is not a whole lot more than what it would cost you to just go buy a Trilobite at your local dive shop anyway. And it's sewn to the suit, so no straps to dick around with or figuring out where to put it.

Good luck!
@stuartv Not at all redundant! I much desired feedback from you and lexvil before I placed my order. Though every time I think one question is settled, it seems someone offers something to make me reconsider something else. I am fortunate to learn these things now instead of later.

I have gotten enough warnings now to avoid the Antares glove system. However, the Rolock appears mechanically solid provided it is not used without dry gloves. I can understand why you place the Kubis above it, but why do you class it with the Sitechs and not up with the Ultima? Those two appear comparable in quality and solidity of mechanism. What am I not seeing?

Thank you especially for the thermal feedback. Having you being able to compare both weights is invaluable. I am more confident selecting the 150's and being able to layer under it as need be. I am equally confident that I'd be sweating like crazy in the summer in Lake Erie wearing a 250.

I will look into the Waterproof seals. Thank you, I was unaware of them. For an extra $60, it sounds like I could have my cake and eat it too. Of course, the size on a neoprene neck has to be pretty much dead on not to leak or be too tight.

I agree that Trilobites are great, but I already have one on my Perdix and thus my wrist. When I get a second Perdix it will also mount a Trilobite for my other wrist. If I didn't do that I would order the attached Trilobites.

Thank you again, and I will read your Kubi/Ultima article.

My wife has the trilobite on her Nova. I am so jealous. They are cheaper through seaskin also.

It's just simpler than dealing with it on your computer and one less thing to get hung up open a harness strap. Of course it does you no good when you are diving a different suit. I look at hers longingly and may add them to my wetsuits. I'll add it to the list.

I look at hers longingly

It is always good to look at one's own spouse longingly for any reason, good for the marriage and relationship.

Just a note, people who hate the Antaries haven’t used them right, I was one of them, tried the Virgo and actually liked them but kept catching the rings on webbing when putting my arms through to put the gear on. I spent a few days in the pool checking exactly how they work and since not a single leak, easy on and easy off.

It’s the same with the trigon pee valve, once you see how it works, exercise proper use and technique its perfect.

Just a note, people who hate the Antaries haven’t used them right, I was one of them, tried the Virgo and actually liked them but kept catching the rings on webbing when putting my arms through to put the gear on. I spent a few days in the pool checking exactly how they work and since not a single leak, easy on and easy off.

It’s the same with the trigon pee valve, once you see how it works, exercise proper use and technique its perfect.
I saw A LOT of of improper usage in reading reviews, but what worries me is that if the little clips bend at all or get broken you are SOL. It seems like a very large vulnerability, especially for anyone who gets frustrated with non-cooperative kit.

Fully agree on the Virgos, those rings look awkwardly large even compared to standard Sitech qcs rounds.

I saw A LOT of of improper usage in reading reviews, but what worries me is that if the little clips bend at all or get broken you are SOL. It seems like a very large vulnerability, especially for anyone who gets frustrated with non-cooperative kit.

Fully agree on the Virgos, those rings look awkwardly large even compared to standard Sitech qcs rounds.
I haven’t managed to damage those clips, I do not baby any of my gear, Seaskin sells those glove side rings and they really don’t cost much, although buying a whole set up from someone who gave up is even cheaper. The Virgo are super secure and simple, my buddy now uses them and doesn’t have much issue with the bulk, warm hands are great.

Back
Top Bottom