Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that yellow hose your octo? If so, is it long enough to breath from? I would have put that pony bottle on the other way around (valve up). If I am saying stupid things, educate me.
You're not saying stupid things, just a different take on them. I dive with my pony charged and mostly off (valve cracked to maintain pressure as I descend). It is upside down so I can manipulate the valve when I need it and not risk losing my air supply (I don't like the necklace option). That has a 36" hose and the 2nd has a 110° swivel so there is no pull when it goes to MY mouth. The pony is for me, my 40" primary is for you. My air2 is on a 22" corrugated gives me a good angle to breathe from while assessing whatever caused you to take my primary and before I go on my pony. I may end up going to a 48" primary but the 40 does well and I've had to pass it while scootering before.

You're not saying stupid things, just a different take on them. I dive with my pony charged and mostly off (valve cracked to maintain pressure as I descend).

You do you.

But, I don't understand that "valve cracked to maintain pressure" thing.

At recreational depths, a regulator charged at the surface is in no danger of being overcome by ambient pressure on descent. So, there is no point in the valve being cracked. It should either be all the way on or all the way off. Or, another way of saying it, if there is any reason for it to be on at all, it should be on all the way.

You mentioned a risk of losing your air supply. If you are worried that having your pony turned on all the way somehow puts you at risk of that, I think you are adding risk to your dive for a perceived risk that is not a concern.

The worst case I can think of that might be what you're thinking of is if your pony bottle 1st stage blows a HP seat and starts dumping gas. Sure, if that happens and your valve is only cracked open that would keep you from losing your gas as quickly. But, well, so? It's your independent, redundant gas. If that happens and you lose your whole pony bottle, well, so? Dive over and get out. You're still breathing just fine off your primary gas, which you're not losing. Also, if that happens, you will know it. You'll hear it and probably feel it. You can turn your pony off then. Yes, it will take a little longer than turning off a cracked valve. Again, so? It's your redundant backup gas. When it happens, dive over. No big deal.

None of that is as risky as swimming with a gas supply that has the valve just cracked open.

Anyway.... </derail>

Congrats on the new suit. It looks like it fits you well. Glad to hear it's dry! :D

Well.. dove the 250 (with booties) today. 2 dives totaling about 1.75 hours. Water was 39f. The 250 is for sure warmer than my 4E Arctics, but not by a ton. The bubble is definitely a little harder to manage. The 4E stuff is just super dense and dives better (to me)

My instructor was nice enough to blow past our simulated deco stop and tack on another 5 min just to make a point why it's good to stay on target. Good exercise but I got cold🥶🥶. Had absolutely no issues holding all stops withthe 250 and only got cold hanging on the line.

Great day.. but yeah, heat is in my future. Valves can be reached with the 250 no problem, but not as elegant as with the 4E stuff.

I'd really like to try a Halo 3D if anyone has one they can lend out? Any experience with one of those?

At recreational depths, a regulator charged at the surface is in no danger of being overcome by ambient pressure on descent. So, there is no point in the valve being cracked.
I guess I can expand on my simplified answer and reasoning. I do not have an SPG on the pony so knowing it won't empty itself is priority to me. I keep my valve cracked on to prevent a free flow loss of emergency air that I may not see, feel, or hear. Thick hood in cold water with my 2nd clipped near my right shoulder. If i do bump my 2nd and purge it could flood, also a reason for a slightly opened valve. My 2nd is detuned and a free flow would require a constant press so it is again not a likely scenario but one I have chosen to mitigate by not having the valve fully on/off. I have an unknown number of dives with it off and I would feather it occasionally but I got lazy and prefer to just leave it be while I futz with my camera or scooter. I guess if there is only 1 way to dive I should be breathing trimix on BM doubles and a slung 40 with deco gas for anything dive below 110'... I do appreciate your take on this though.

For the P-valve, which leg does it come on by default? Or was I meant to have told them when ordering?

For the P-valve, which leg does it come on by default? Or was I meant to have told them when ordering?
The left.... we all hang low and to the left. Don't you?

Back
Top Bottom