Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm inclined to select the "Allowance for extra thick undersuits" option even though my local dive sites and typical travel locations don't require extra thick undersuits. Because I'd like the option to travel to colder dive sites in the future. So the suit would be 2-4cm(*) too big under normal circumstances, but how annoying is that really? As someone who has only done 3 drysuit dives ever -- always in an off-the-rack rental suit -- it's hard for me to evaluate what I'd be giving up. Is buoyancy control much harder? Are air pockets much more annoying? Something else?

(*): They add 4cm to the chest, waist, seat and body cord. 3cm to thigh and calf, and 2cm to the bicep.

In case it's relevant, I only dive open water currently. I might do basic wreck diving some day, but likely never cave diving. (Too many above-water caves I'd prefer to explore first.)
At these prices … get 2!!!

Buoyancy control is the same and air pockets aren't annoying (you just don't have any), if you control buoyancy using the wing.
But I wouldn't order this option for cold water rare dives if dived warm waters mostly...
Could you explain why? There is some value (however small) in being able to dive in very cold water. What aspect of having a tighter fitting suit is worth giving up that option?

I understand that some features have disadvantages. For example, the convenience zip feature seems useful, but I'm choosing not to get it, due to the increased maintenance and risk of leaks. I'm trying to find a similar reason to not get the allowance for thicker undergarments. Of course, the analogy is imperfect: there are other ways to pee without the convenience zip -- it's unclear if there are similar alternatives if I end up wanting to dive in cold water.

Actually it depends. If you dive 200 g/m2 undersuit, no problem to order that option. But if you dive basic underwear, the suit will be rather baggy... I personally don't like such fit and wouldn't enjoy the suit if had to dive that way most of the time.
But my case is vice versa - cold water mostly and warm water - occasionally.

I've been reading through this thread off and on. I have a forth element arctic 2 piece that I wear now, I prefer it to thinsulate. The arctic doesn't compress like thinsulate does. Will that fit under a Nova if I choose the option for cold water diving? What if I add a thin layer of Marino wool under that? Like 200gsm stuff?

The suit I have now dives pretty good unless I put the arctic on, and then it's tight (or maybe I'm fatter than I should be:))

I've been reading through this thread off and on. I have a forth element arctic 2 piece that I wear now, I prefer it to thinsulate. The arctic doesn't compress like thinsulate does. Will that fit under a Nova if I choose the option for cold water diving? What if I add a thin layer of Marino wool under that? Like 200gsm stuff?

The suit I have now dives pretty good unless I put the arctic on, and then it's tight (or maybe I'm fatter than I should be:))
When I had my drysuit made (different manufacturer so take that for granted) they told me to use the option for thicker undergarments only if I was using Weezle undergarments or one of the really thick ones. Their basic undergarment they sell is basically the 4th Element Arctic and they said there was room for that plus a little more built into the templates for sizing.

When I had my drysuit made (different manufacturer so take that for granted) they told me to use the option for thicker undergarments only if I was using Weezle undergarments or one of the really thick ones. Their basic undergarment they sell is basically the 4th Element Arctic and they said there was room for that plus a little more built into the templates for sizing.

I am an absolute p***y when it comes to cold.. I am the opposite of @stuartv who is 1/2 polar bear. I wear my arctics under a 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit and get cold around the hr mark. I would "think" I'll need to add something extra under or over the arctic in a trilam suit? I've even started looking @ halo 3d's to maybe take the place of the arctic.

With that said I dive 99% cold water, was just in the bay last weekend @ 35F.

I am an absolute p***y when it comes to cold.. I am the opposite of @stuartv who is 1/2 polar bear. I wear my arctics under a 5mm compressed neoprene drysuit and get cold around the hr mark. I would "think" I'll need to add something extra under or over the arctic in a trilam suit? I've even started looking @ halo 3d's to maybe take the place of the arctic.

With that said I dive 99% cold water, was just in the bay last weekend @ 35F.

I have the Halo 3D as well, I've only worn it once, but it didn't seem much (if at all) bulkier than the basically-Arctic undergarments I have. Just for reference. Could be just me, could be a difference in size/cut.

Back
Top Bottom