Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my drysuit has arrived! Regrettably we have just gone into full lockdown again so won't be getting it wet for a while, but some first impressions (try and take some photos later):
  • For anyone in NZ thinking of taking this route, I was only charged the extra 16 gbp for a total of 112 gbp shipping. No complaints with Fedex; all went smoothly. To speed up customs clearance make sure you've applied for a client code beforehand and send it to NZCDN@fedex.com along with your tracking number, then they can invoice you as soon as it comes in. I was charged the GST and a $58 ITF fee, but no duty to pay. Total cost of my suit and shipping was NZ$1859, so landed total was $2,197. Comes in about $400 cheaper than the cheapest off the rack membrane suit (Yukon II) at the local dive ship
  • This is the first time I've owned a drysuit, having only used beat-up rentals until now so take with a grain on salt; but standard of workmanship appears very good. Only nitpick would be that they seem to have forgotten the male buckles for the braces. Will take it up with them but might be less hassle just to pick some up locally.
  • Very pleased with the fit, everything seems to be right on the mark as far as I can tell. At first I thought there might be a little much in the chest and knee areas, but after a few simulated frog kicks and valve drills there seems to be just the right amount to allow the necessary range of motion with undergarments on. I was most nervous about getting the crotch measurement wrong but feels just right.
  • The forearm trilobite is a little further round the wrist than I expected, it's pretty much in line with the dump valve. I thought it would be closer to the inside of the wrist. Not a big deal though.
  • I got the glow patches just on a whim; they're a bit larger than I expected and you do feel them slightly when you bend your arm for valve drills. Also not a major.
  • Socks are slightly on the large side, I sent them my US foot size and had them do the conversion to euro as most of the conversion charts I looked at disagreed with each other. So I wouldn't worry about them running too small for a given size.
  • I only got the kevlar reinforcement on the knees, can't say I really felt any resistance from them. No embroidery on them.
  • I expected the expedition pockets to be cavernous based on the comments but they seem to be the right size for tech (spool/SMB, spare mask, wetnotes, 1-2 situational items); I don't think I'd go smaller but we'll see.

Just got my Seaskin in the other day. I'm impressed by the quality. Now just have to wait till later to take it out. Much too warm in my area right now to need it.
PXL_20210823_133909697.jpg

Picture is a little rough from lighting angles and such, it's looks much better up close.

Fedex bill was only $55 and I got the bill after they delivered the suit.

Now I just need to decide on Undergaments. I want to get some good stuff without paying a high price. Seems like some companies charge way too much (looking at you 4th Element) for what you actually get. I bought some thermals for skiing that are fantastic and cost significantly less than 4th Element's base layer. Now just need to look at getting some thicker undergarments.

Now I just need to decide on Undergaments. I want to get some good stuff without paying a high price. Seems like some companies charge way too much (looking at you 4th Element) for what you actually get. I bought some thermals for skiing that are fantastic and cost significantly less than 4th Element's base layer. Now just need to look at getting some thicker undergarments.

Looks good, congrats! Did you specifically decide against getting the Seaskin-made undergarments?

Looks good, congrats! Did you specifically decide against getting the Seaskin-made undergarments?

Still an option. I didn't want to purchase undergarments and drysuit at the same time to avoid high taxes/duties. But I still have all the measurements I used to get the drysuit. Just wanted to see if there was any good options stateside.

Still an option. I didn't want to purchase undergarments and drysuit at the same time to avoid high taxes/duties. But I still have all the measurements I used to get the drysuit. Just wanted to see if there was any good options stateside.
I would suggest heavy wool for a base and fleece over that, you can easily use your existing outdoor stuff, layer as needed, personally I don’t like the hollowfill type insulation, to bulky and to easily compressed.

Looks like my proposed ship date August 20th order will be shipped this Wednesday.

Any one know how long it will take for it to get to San Francisco?

I have a bad feeling that it won't get here early enough for my Sep 2nd diving... :(

Looks like my proposed ship date August 20th order will be shipped this Wednesday.

Any one know how long it will take for it to get to San Francisco?

I have a bad feeling that it won't get here early enough for my Sep 2nd diving... :(
Shipping of my suit to Los Angeles was insanely fast. I don't remember exactly how long (it's in this thread somewhere) but I think it was 2-3 days. If I were you, I'd feel pretty good about getting it in time, assuming there aren't delays outside of the control of FedEx.

Shipping of my suit to Los Angeles was insanely fast. I don't remember exactly how long (it's in this thread somewhere) but I think it was 2-3 days. If I were you, I'd feel pretty good about getting it in time, assuming there aren't delays outside of the control of FedEx.

Thanks! that's encouraging news.
Since search is down I can't search for you comments among what's now 105 pages now!

So when did you get your tax bill? After you receive the package?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom