search for giant sea bass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am somewhat skeptical about the identification of giant sea bass using spot patterns. I've watched as giant sea bass change their appearance somewhat quickly. They can appear all silvery, spotted, countershaded or dark.

I've got 10,000 still images of GSBs taken over the last 20 years so I won't be submitting mine. Too many photos, too little time.

@ dr bill
"I've got 10,000 still images of GSBs taken over the last 20 years so I won't be submitting mine. Too many photos, too little time."
Bill
I have told you one hundred million times not to exaggerate !

Good for you and your pictures ! I sincerely hope you share them with the research program and the esteemed Dr Love
I suspect the members of the program will find considerable value in them since they are both amateur and professional ichthyologist.

SDM. .

They are using a computer program that is supposed to be able to identify individuals not only by the spot patterns but by fins and any other distinct markings. It has its limitations as some of the dozens of GSBs Merry and I identified were incorrectly identified on the website. Most have been corrected. If you submit ant photos it is best to get each side of the same individual.

Good for you and your pictures ! I sincerely hope you share them with the research program and the esteemed Dr Love
I suspect the members of the program will find considerable value in them since they are both amateur and professional ichthyologist.

SDM. .

Only so much time left in my life or I'd happily submit all the images (actually just slightly less than 10,000) of the giant sea bass to them and my images of the new species in our waters to another site requesting them. Maybe I'll put them in my will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom