Seaquest Balance vs Zeagle Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious on some opinions. I am looking for a back inflate style BC that can be used for travel as well as local quarry diving in North Carolina. I am curious as to people experience with either of these BC's. Pro's vs cons, etc. I am a bigger than average guy (225 lbs) and like something with a little ruggedness to it but not overly big (and no air-2).

I have a balance, and love it. Its simple, folds relatively compact, and does its job well. I'm 190lbs at 5'7, so I'm also relatively hefty. It doesnt pose a problem for me.

I also stumbled upon the malibu, although it looks like the specs will do, plenty of lift, hold plenty of integrated weight, is it just not as hefty as the balance?

Hey Scotttyd, if you dont mind me asking, is there a reason you are not considering a bp&wing?

I am even heavier than you and my DiveRite SS plate and delux harness works well for me. It would give you more flexibility to modify your config as your diving changes.

Just a thought.

zeagle..in every way...no contest.

As far as the BP/W, I have no experience with them, although there fans here are like rabid dogs sometimes!!! One things I prefer about BC's is the weight integreation, maybe I will look into them, although how good are they for traveling?

Negatives I have heard about the Zeagle, are these real?
1. If you accidentaly pull the rip cord (how you accidentally do this I do not know) and you have to rethread it, it is nearly impossible on a boat in rough seas.

2. The weight sits to far back in the pouches and you get a turtle effect at times.

3. Slightly more expensive, and you have to buy the "yellow thingies" and the tanks weight pouches, which add more cost.

4. The balance is more travel friendly.

I have a Balance, and looked at a Malibu before buying. I liked the Balance for the heavier-duty construction. If you have a chance, feel the materials between the two. There's a noticeable difference.

I'm your size, 6', 230, and wear the large.

I'm in the process of packing for the Caribbean, and I have my Balance, fins / mask & shorty in a rolling duffel, with the majority of my clothes, no problem. Regs & computer are in my carry on.

I like my Balance but recently switched over to black plate. I wouldn't hesistate buying another Balance. It's was on Sales at Sportchalet for $529 including AirSource2. I think they will even mail order. That's a $120 saving from what I paid 8 months ago.

As far as the BP/W, I have no experience with them, although there fans here are like rabid dogs sometimes!!! One things I prefer about BC's is the weight integreation, maybe I will look into them, although how good are they for traveling?

Negatives I have heard about the Zeagle, are these real?
1. If you accidentaly pull the rip cord (how you accidentally do this I do not know) and you have to rethread it, it is nearly impossible on a boat in rough seas.

2. The weight sits to far back in the pouches and you get a turtle effect at times.

3. Slightly more expensive, and you have to buy the "yellow thingies" and the tanks weight pouches, which add more cost.

4. The balance is more travel friendly.

1) I have over 200 dives on my Stilletto and many pool sessions and have never had and accident of pulling the rip cord. And dive with alot of other people that dive a Zeagle and have never heard of anyone accidentlly pulling rip-cord. First time it only took me about 5 minutes to rethread and after a little practice I can now do it in about 3 minutes. But the velco holds the handle pretty good.

2) turtle only seems a problem if you add too much air

3) Worth the extra money. You don't need "yellow thingies" but they can be handy

4) I know alot of people that travel with them

I am not sure where you negatives but it almost sounds like a shop is trying to get a agualung quota.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom