Seals or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be in the minority here, but I have had neck and wrist rings with replaceable seals and did not like them. The drysuit I have now (Santi) was ordered with latex seals, non-replaceable. I am very careful with my seals and maintain them as well as I do the zipper. I have never ripped a latex seal (or replaceable silicone seal at that).

I was gearing up at Peacock one day when another diver came around asking if anyone had the seals, she had ripped one. I loaned her my backup silicone seals and she was able to dive. So I see the utility in the replaceable seals, I just don't like the rings and have decided to take that chance.

Besides, I will be buying another drysuit shortly so will have a 'backup' for any drysuit issue!

In terms of cost, if you are ordering a new suit then it is not a big add-on for the replaceable seals. They can also be retrofitted to most suits and the price is around 130 USD or so plus labour if you don't do it yourself

SiTech QCS OVAL Set (Silicon Seal) for DIY fitting

Quick Neck Set with Silicone seal-black-standard size

Long term costs, the silicon seals are close to the same price as latex replacements, and since they don't require someone to do it for you, the total cost of replacement is usually equivalent.

If you are on a paid boat trip and your glued-in latex seal tears, then you have lost the trip unless you can swap out a seal.

I find the silicon seals MUCH nicer on my neck and wrists to wear and a lot easier to get on without worrying too much about how gentle i am on them.

There are also people with latex sensitivity, probably not a major issue to you but its still a thing.

The ONLY reason I can think of to get a suit without a cuff system would be buying a used suit that had other seals, the first thing on my list would be adding the cuffs.

One other advantage of the wrist rings - they allow cheap Marigold dry gloves.

I've seen threads on the trilam v. neoprene debate, and on the this brand of seal v. that brand of seal debate, but my question is basically whether it's worth the money to get wrist and neck seals at all. I understand that if money were no object, then seals, and a P valve, and perhaps gold thread would all be good. But money is an object. So, how sensitive is latex? Is it so likely to degrade or tear that seals are nearly necessary, or is it just an expensive convenience. How many drysuit diver get neck and wrist seals? Can dry suits be retrofitted later?

Subsequent edit: Oops, I was really unclear. I meant the systems that allow immediate replacement of seals. I know the seals themselves are important

Latex and neoprene seals are actually reasonably robust. If you take care of them and do preemptive replacement in the off-season (when needed, not every year), you probably will never have a real problem. Latex are generally easy enough to recognize when they are getting old and need to be replaced. Neoprene are the same and have the advantage of potentially being repairable, with some Aquaseal. Silicone, on the other hand, is a bit more fragile and can definitely fail with basically no warning.

And, yes, any attached seals can be replaced later with a ring system.

I have a Waterproof D9X that came with permanently attached latex seals all around. After a season, I sent it off to @Dive Right In Scuba and they replaced the neck seal with the Si Tech Quick Neck system and a silicone seal and they replaced the wrist seals with glued-in Kubi rings and silicone seals. They did a bang-up job.

So, no worries starting off with a suit that has "permanent" seals on it.

I won't own a drysuit without user replaceable seals anymore, for what it's worth. I travel too much to have dives risked being ruined by a ripped seal. Being out in the Great Lakes or on an offshore dive boat in New England and having replacements seals in my drysuit bag means I don't miss a dive due to torn neck or wrist seal. I've seen it happen more times than I can count and it sucks for the person involved especially when they've traveled a long way and/or paid for a charter.

My only exception to this would be if I lived in someplace like Cave Country where there are an abundance of people that can do overnight and/or quick drysuit repair work.

In cold water I appreciate the value of having a ring system for dry gloves but I do really love the less bulk of non rings systems when I dive in Florida.

I also have a backup drysuit for such occasions but it doesn't come with me on charter boats. I'm perfectly capable of replacing and gluing on my own wrist seals I just prefer being able to replace them in the field.

Folks...

As has been discussed many times on SB...seals like dry-suit brands are a personal preference...

For the more fragile types...like silicone and latex...inspecting your seals regularly...proper cleaning/drying/storing your suit ''post dive''... ...keeping all your seals lubricated to minimize donning and doffing friction...keeping your finger nails trimmed...avoiding the use of colognes/perfumes...will all contribute dramatically to extending the life of your seals...

Natural body oil...not cleaned from your seals ''post dive'' is a prime factor in early seal deterioration...having ''ungroomed/long finger nails is another...

Simple care...regular maintenance...are your best friends...

Personally...I prefer neoprene seals...far warmer...far more durable...

Dive Safe...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom