Seals in Jamestown, Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell me something I don't. Now we're all diving with more than before. Why would you care out there in Ohio? You probably don't even own property on Cape Cod or Jamestown RI. :wink:

Agree about the Orca's. The truth is seals have been wintering in the upper bay forever. That one at FTW was probably on its way out the bay.

Last edited:
I hate to deliver the "bad" news, but great white sharks already have bee seen around Fort Wetherill and Jamestown!
My friend's drone captured one this summer and I had one that I barely captured of to the right of my DPV's gopro.

DPV's Gopro photo:
great white.png

Drone photo enhanced:
Great-White 2.jpg

Drone photo normal:
Great-White.jpg

So are we diving at Fort Wetherill this weekend??

I think we're Gonna' need a larger DPV.....
Where exactly was that underwater shot taken?

I think the sharks are easily spooked by bubbles, but if they are in hunting mode.... are there any seals consistently sited near FTW? A friend who had a house up on the cape is going show me her shark app tomorrow.

It seems seals find rocky aeas under water to hang out because they can find some hiding spots, and sharks are more likely to go after them when the seals venture out to hunt for their fish. My avatar is a baby seal nipping my fins, and they are a treat to watch.
Humans are also trying to increase fish populations with fish hatcheries on New England Coast, so it seems we are trying to boost populations of all three groups, shark seal and fish.

I think we're Gonna' need a larger DPV.....
Where exactly was that underwater shot taken?

I think the sharks are easily spooked by bubbles, but if they are in hunting mode.... are there any seals consistently sited near FTW? A friend who had a house up on the cape is going show me her shark app tomorrow.
On the cove with the ramp off to the right around to the big Cove area... we were out on the DPV's.

Thanks for posting.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a quick report that there is a group of seals visiting Fort Wetherill this weekend! My dive buddies and I came across them this weekend on the sandy cove out at about 90 feet of water towards the point.

Peter

Thank for letting people know. I have not dove Rhode Island but I have been hoping to and the chance to spot seals is a great boost.
You mention you saw them in 90 feet of water, but was there a hide away place nearbye? The seals at Dry Salvages off Cape Ann stay around some huge underwater granite blocks where it would be hard for a shark to torpedo them. These rocks are rather shallow, 18 feet at tops.
besides feeling safer, it means that happening to see them is more likely. Is there a local dive shop that you recommend? My husband missed seeing them and this may be the dive that gets him to come back to cold water diving.

Thank for letting people know. I have not dove Rhode Island but I have been hoping to and the chance to spot seals is a great boost.
You mention you saw them in 90 feet of water, but was there a hide away place nearbye? The seals at Dry Salvages off Cape Ann stay around some huge underwater granite blocks where it would be hard for a shark to torpedo them. These rocks are rather shallow, 18 feet at tops.
besides feeling safer, it means that happening to see them is more likely. Is there a local dive shop that you recommend? My husband missed seeing them and this may be the dive that gets him to come back to cold water diving.
Yes there are a lot of good places for them to hide and swim it is a very rocky area with lots of crevices.

Interesting discussion.

From a California perspective, I can tell you that although we have tons of sea lions & seals in the Monterey/Carmel area, GWS are not even given a moments thought by most divers. Incredibly rare for them to be sighted (ive never met a diver who's seen a trace of one) - much less bit, they mostly go after surfers in Santa Cruz & north waters (surface silhouette looks like a seal) -- and those are also rare.

Now, there are some areas where I (and any cautious person) would never enter the water - near the rookeries at Ano Nuevo & the offshore Farallones Islands - where GSW are known to congregate - and basically the "Red Triangle" between these areas. These are not diving areas anyway (except for the specific Shark cage diving near the Farallones), so its not a problem to avoid these areas.

Are NE GWS not as territorial as NoCal GSW, more free swimming? In NoCal, we can identify the "Red Triangle" to avoid. Is there an area where your whites hang out. Im hoping that there are answers that would assuage divers worries. Seals & sea lions are so cool to dive with, I would hate if they discourage any divers.

Back
Top Bottom