Seals in Jamestown, Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiddlerOnTheRoof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to drop a quick report that there is a group of seals visiting Fort Wetherill this weekend! My dive buddies and I came across them this weekend on the sandy cove out at about 90 feet of water towards the point.

Peter

In the water... Unfortunately by the time i got the camera going it was gonne!

Seals at Ft W - not good news for divers and the marine life.

Okay, I am no expert but here is my reasoning behind my comments. As far as I know Great Whites were not in NE waters or extremely rare before the seal colonies on the Cape. I have no interest in diving in waters with great whites. A seal colony at or near Ft W would attract great whites. Also, there are concerns that an established seal colony in NE waters threatens the balance and abundance of shellfish, fish, crabs and lobsters. I share this concern. So while I think it may be interesting seeing a seal while diving, if there was an established colony at FT W, I would likely look to dive elsewhere.

Okay, I am no expert but here is my reasoning behind my comments. As far as I know Great Whites were not in NE waters or extremely rare before the seal colonies on the Cape. I have no interest in diving in waters with great whites. A seal colony at or near Ft W would attract great whites. Also, there are concerns that an established seal colony in NE waters threatens the balance and abundance of shellfish, fish, crabs and lobsters. I share this concern. So while I think it may be interesting seeing a seal while diving, if there was an established colony at FT W, I would likely look to dive elsewhere.

I think your over thinking this. Not to dispute or try to talk you out of your opinion (it is your opinion). I don't believe seals automatically mean GWs will be swimming behind. I have seen lots of seals in Maine and have never seen a GW.

That said - when your time is up - I am not sure there is much you can do about it. So we don't want to rush the inevitable but I don't want to rust away either. It's better to burn out than to fade away - Neal Young - Rest Never Sleeps :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom