Seals in Jamestown, Rhode Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I am no expert but here is my reasoning behind my comments. As far as I know Great Whites were not in NE waters or extremely rare before the seal colonies on the Cape. I have no interest in diving in waters with great whites. A seal colony at or near Ft W would attract great whites. Also, there are concerns that an established seal colony in NE waters threatens the balance and abundance of shellfish, fish, crabs and lobsters. I share this concern. So while I think it may be interesting seeing a seal while diving, if there was an established colony at FT W, I would likely look to dive elsewhere.

Presuming you're too careful to drive a car, what does it matter?

Below is a link to an article that touches on the concerns I was attempting to convey with my original comment. I am not trying to advocate for a position, start a debate or argument. I am not saying that they are right. Its just two concerns with the growing seal colonies that I have. If you feel differently that is fine with me.

The Gray Seal Population Problem in Cape Cod: Time to Cull the Herd?

Culling can be complicated because the effects aren't always what you expect. Reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone was expected to hurt the ecosystem and grazing animals in the area. It turned out that it had a lot of unexpected consequences. Gores sure from the wolves caused grazing patterns to change and the ecosystem became much healthier.

Killing beavers and blowing the dams so ranchers woul be able to graze cattle cause desertification instead.

The seals are food for sharks that have been over fished. The ocean ecosystems are poorly understood, and the benefits and cost may end up giving the opposite result.

"Okay, I am no expert but here is my reasoning behind my comments. As far as I know Great Whites were not in NE waters or extremely rare before the seal colonies on the Cape. I have no interest in diving in waters with great whites. A seal colony at or near Ft W would attract great whites."

It's a thought worth considering, so let's consider it. I suspect our best comparator for how this works out in real world practice is the dive scene in California. They have seals & sea lions, even some colonies such as at some sites on some Channel Islands, and they definitely have great white sharks.

And yet...dive op.s take divers out diving off coastal California, Channel Islands trips are popular, including areas where pinnipeds congregate, and diving with them is a highlight of California diving from what I read.

Also consider that California Diver Magazine (which has lots of interesting articles available online for free) has one from Feb. 2016, Total Number of Shark Attacks on Scuba Divers in 2015: Zero.

That despite their presence - Great White Shark at Catalina: A Close Encounter Of The Carnivorous Kind and They're Here! 18-Foot Great White Shark (+ 15 Others) Spotted In Monterey.

I'm not saying I'd get off the boat knowing one was in the water. I'm just saying the presence of seals &/or sea lions & some great whites in a region doesn't prohibit diving in California. Would it be the same off the east coast?

Richard.

I agree with you drrich, the presence of sharks doesn't have any correlation to shark attacks. The culling of prey may have the opposite effect and encourage attacks on humans. Since the interrelationships are poorly understood, the effects are not sure to give the desired results... Its hard to second guess mother nature.

All interesting points. I am not saying the seal's presence in general is a bad thing. I only meant to express my personal concern that I felt that a large seal colony in the numbers now present at/near Monomoy Island on the Cape at Ft W would be a negative for diving and the marine life. Could I be wrong, could they present benefits, is it a complicated issue - of course.

Has anyone seen the videos of the seal population on the Cape??? Calculate how much they eat, and ya, probably not a good thing...

The absence of seals throws the ecosystem out of balance. The absence of great whites throws the system out of balance. If you get eaten by a GW, you will live on as the first victim of the great shark-apocalypse. We shall mourn at your shrine. But you are more likely to scare the animal away with your regulator exhaust...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom