SEALs don’t like split fins either.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect zip ties are simply a solution to the Navy having thousands of split fins in stores and refusing to order better fins until the stock of splits is used up.

So here’s the real question. Who’s going to perform a test for us and zip tie their personal split fins. See how they work

So here’s the real question. Who’s going to perform a test for us and zip tie their personal split fins. See how they work
I would in a second if I had a pair laying around. It would almost be worth it to find a cheap used pair and try it to see what all the hub bub is about.

I found one single Apollo fin at the Channel Islands a few years back laying on the bottom in the sand. I picked it up and it was a size XL. It was in good shape too so it hadn’t been there that long. I ALMOST pulled off one of my Jets and put in on just to see if I would fin in circles either way, but I didn’t do it.

I suspect zip ties are simply a solution to the Navy having thousands of split fins in stores and refusing to order better fins until the stock of splits is used up.
I sincerely doubt it for SEALS. I would think that, similar to the UK SAS, they have a great deal of discretion with regards to their gear choices. I have heard a quote from "No Easy Day" where they are supplied with night vision goggles that cost $65K per set as opposed to the standard set. When looking at the costs involved in training, equipping and deploying these guys (which runs into millions of $$), I would suspect that they do not short cut things just because the Navy have a surplus!

I sincerely doubt it for SEALS. I would think that, similar to the UK SAS, they have a great deal of discretion with regards to their gear choices. I have heard a quote from "No Easy Day" where they are supplied with night vision goggles that cost $65K per set as opposed to the standard set. When looking at the costs involved in training, equipping and deploying these guys (which runs into millions of $$), I would suspect that they do not short cut things just because the Navy have a surplus!

while ive never served....i have worked for defense contractors....and i spend a lot of time with vets and active duty military....and it would not shock me the least if the Gov said "Well happily give you $100K for night vision but well be damned if we let you spend $150 on fins"...the govt can be really bizarre with how it spends its money.

hell, i remember one project i was working on, i was told to buy $500 worth of orings so that we could use 1 of them......but i wasnt allowed to buy an $8 box of #6 screws.

while ive never served....i have worked for defense contractors....and i spend a lot of time with vets and active duty military....and it would not shock me the least if the Gov said "Well happily give you $100K for night vision but well be damned if we let you spend $150 on fins"...the govt can be really bizarre with how it spends its money.

hell, i remember one project i was working on, i was told to buy $500 worth of orings so that we could use 1 of them......but i wasnt allowed to buy an $8 box of #6 screws.
You seriously think that Tier 1 operators might be denied items such as their choice of fins (which could be mission critical)? Some things maybe (and in other tiers of the military), but I doubt those sorts of items at that level of operator.

You seriously think that Tier 1 operators might be denied items such as their choice of fins (which could be mission critical)? Some things maybe (and in other tiers of the military), but I doubt those sorts of items at that level of operator.

On cost: no. Not being in a catalog of a vendor on the vetted approved budgeted procurement list: !@#k yeah.

After dealing with the govt..... yeah I could see that 100%

True they are elite operators.... and they have a fair bit of freedom... but they aren’t allowed to do what they want, carte Blanche.

At the end of the day they are still govt employees( property?)...and have to deal with the same bureaucratic nightmares as everyone else in govt.

U.S. Special Operations Command, of which the SEALs are a component, is the only Combatant Command that has its own acquisition authority. Seriously, SOCOM has considerably more flexibility in buying stuff than most of the rest of the DOD.

Maybe the zip ties are to keep the split from ripping apart in a particular water entry....

diver dopping from helo still from 160th video.png

the pictures were taking directly from an article talking about Them being seals and from team 2. So yes it’s 100% for seals

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom