SeaLife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all,

I just got my DC800 and am testing it out. I'm somewhat disappointed by the quality of the photos taken inside without the case/external flash. - they seem grainy compared to the same photos taken with my old 3MP Cannon Point and Shoot.

In particular, it looks blurry/grainy around the edges. Not sure if this is normal, due to wide angle lens or not. I'm usually an SLR user, but the cost of a good SLR housing, was way over my budget.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kristine

What are your camera settings and strobe setting to start off with?

No external strobe right now, just using the internal flash, inside. I had the camera set on all auto. The photos were grainy even when the ISO was reading 200 on the EXIF data.

Due to photo size, I went ahead and posted a link to a galley of photos. Keep in mind, I was just playing with the camera to get used to shooting - so the photographic composition is bad and irrelevant. The first photo in the gallery is the Sealife one, the second is a similar shot ( not exactly the same) with the Canon. If you hit info, you can also see the EXIF shot data. There are also small photos attached.

Unfortunately, I can't post a link yet....so here's where to go without the http:

//kristine-scene.smugmug.com/photos/460518701_zRHmg-L.jpg

I'm clearly not going about this scientifically, but am looking for some advice in the short term. Tomorrow, the Sealife and I go diving together for the first time as part of a underwater photography class. I'm hoping the results there will be better. I actually have an experimental plan for the dive to test different settings.

Attachments

• Sealife Camera Test 019_edited-1.jpg
    Sealife Camera Test 019_edited-1.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Canon Test_01 21 09_0006_edited-1.jpg
    Canon Test_01 21 09_0006_edited-1.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 73
  • Sealife Camera Test 003_edited-1.jpg
    Sealife Camera Test 003_edited-1.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Canon Test_01 21 09_0002_edited-1.jpg
    Canon Test_01 21 09_0002_edited-1.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 67
I'm hoping for a model to come out with RAW capability so I can edit the photos on my PC, higher pixel count or a better chip, and SDHC support to 16GB for longer video times and H.264 support...is this coming our way?

The DC 800 is better in the balance for underwater adjustment than the DC 600. The 600 had too much red in the pictures that ruined good shots. The different underwater settings on the 800 help reduce the amount of red in the pictures. In the macro mode, you can zoom in with the 800, unlike the 600. The zoom quality is good in the center, the the outer edges are fuzzy. Other point and shoots give better macro pictures, clear all the way to the edge. The 800 still doesn't have a diffuser for just the housing, so some close up pictures can be overexposed.

WOW! This sure is the place to do research before buying! So I'm pretty much sold on the DC800 Pro.
Right now I have an Olympus Stylus 600. THat was my first UW camera and I've learned a lot. Now ready to move up to an external strobe.

How would you all judge the macro capability? my Olympus sucks on that note! and it has the long recovery period between shots.

I'm not sure which model my dive buddy has, we just got back from Cozumel. She had problems with her stobe not going off a lot, but it is her first camera and not sure what settings she has.

I have looked at the SeaLife webpage and their photos..macros seem ok, but I know that also depends on the photographer :)

thanks for any advice/suggestions

Just back from the bahamas, I will put a link up shortly to some pics taken.....Im not happy with some of my shots, Im still a new photographer and only had one strobe when Im used to 2...so be gentle :wink:

Link as soon as they upload :wink:

Done :D

Dive Right in Scuba's Gallery :: Bahamas 2008

Very nice shots! Are these straight out of the camera or did you do some post editing?

How do you switch from pic to video mode when the camera is in the housing? It doesn't seem to me like you can, but that doesn't make any sense because earlier Sealife models have that ability. I don't see why they would have taken it away in this model. As much as I like the camera, I am going to be very disappointed in it if I have to go all video or all pics when I am diving with it.

How do you switch from pic to video mode when the camera is in the housing? It doesn't seem to me like you can, but that doesn't make any sense because earlier Sealife models have that ability. I don't see why they would have taken it away in this model. As much as I like the camera, I am going to be very disappointed in it if I have to go all video or all pics when I am diving with it.

When the camera is in underwater mode, the display buttom allows you to go from pictures to video.

The 800 still doesn't have a diffuser for just the housing, so some close up pictures can be overexposed.

The SeaLife DC800 HAS a difusser for the housing, just put in google "Sealife SL1817 Sealife DC800 Flash Diffuser" and you can see it.

Someone taste this?

Hi from Spain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom