SeaLife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It´s possible to add close-up lens into DC800?
If the answer is NO, why not? It´s not necessary to do great macros?

Hi!

A few questions for the people who have the DC800.
Does the LCD display looks well underwater? For example in sunny days?
Does anyone use the flash diffuser for the bulit-in flash? The pics are much better with it?
I know that with external flashes the pics are funny.
ItŽ´s possible to do macro without any type of flash?

Thanks.

The LCD is and looks fine. the brightness level of the display is adjustable. I have used diffusers before with my DC500 flash unit. The advantage is the flash light is reduced slightly, it also 'softens' the flash's light, which reduces shadow edges. it also spreads the light, good for macro. I dont use a diffuser on my DC800 strobes because i think they do quite well without.

I suspose u could do macro without a flash if you had plenty of ambient light (shallow water) or used a flash light to illuminate ur subject. but, if you can afford it, or when you can afford it, get the flash unit.

Does anyone keep the digital zoom on? What about the sharpness setting?

With regards to the macro settings, the camera macros down to 2 inches as it is by itself.

Sealife Joe, what is your opinion on the digital zoom and sharpness settings?
Thnx

Does anyone keep the digital zoom on? What about the sharpness setting?

There is no point in using digital zoom... it reduces the resolution. You can do a better job yourself in post processing by cropping manually if necessary IMHO.

I think I might have sent it out as a PM but I do not recommend using the digital zoom at all, u/w or on land. You can get better results and control by handling on yor computer after.

I used the DC800 on a lobster diving trip (and a lake dive in Lake Tahoe) last October. This is my first attempt at underwater photography, although I've done quite a bit topside before.

The DC800 was easy to use - even with thick gloves on. I found the menus and interface very easy to use, and even captured some pretty decent video clips as well! I like the fact that it fit perfectly into the pocket of my Zeagle Ranger B.C. I came back with some great photos that many would not believe came from a point-and-shoot camera like the DC800. I'm not ready for a full-size camera, flash, and housing yet - I just enjoy diving and taking a few pictures when I'm down there vs. diving for the sole purpose of taking photos.

My only issue at all with the camera is that the lanyard came off during a dive. The metal part that attached to the camera body somehow came loose, and I came close to losing the camera at San Clemente Island. I don't think I pulled it too hard - it was what I would consider normal use of the camera. I pushed it back in place but never fully trusted in after that.

I'd stay away from the digital zoom on any digital camera, as you'll lose resolution and the DC800 works great without it. I used mainly the automatic settings when I used the camera, and selected the appropriate color filter to match the water I was diving in.

This is a great camera for anyone interested in getting started in underwater photography without breaking the bank - and you'll definitely come back with some great photos to share.

- Chris

I My only issue at all with the camera is that the lanyard came off during a dive. The metal part that attached to the camera body somehow came loose, and I came close to losing the camera at San Clemente Island. I don't think I pulled it too hard - it was what I would consider normal use of the camera. I pushed it back in place but never fully trusted in after that.

That is the EXACT same problem I had with the housing. I contacted SeaLife and they are shipping me a new housing. I hope the problem doesn't repeat itself with the new one. Other than that defect, I was very pleased with the performance of the camera.

Well I used my DC 800 in the keys, and it did alright. I don't really do so well with the Pro strobe. In fact I just removed it so I could add a video light. Since I found myself doing more video then pics. But its nice to just be able to switch between nice photos and nice video at the touch of a button. I installed a 4GB memory card, and I don't think I could ever fill it, on one dive. For the price and pictures and video it puts out, its hard to beat.

Now that I have just a video light, I need to mess around with the scene modes, and try using the Sea mode. If it doesn't work as well as I would like it. I am going to put an external orange blue water filter on it.

If your looking for an easy to use, user friendly, and very capable camera, then look no further. I will update in a few weeks how the video light works.

Oh yah, I don't use the lanyard that comes with it. I installed a coiled heavy duty lanyard, that connects to my bc. So when I am not using it, it holds the camera, up and out of the way. And there is no way your breaking this lanyard.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom