Seacraft vs suex DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh? Stator design can potentially help to reduce cogging torque and make it a bit smoother while the motor starts up, but that only matters for a fraction of second. At cruise speed the angular velocity is high enough on any scooter motor that cogging torque becomes insignificant. The continuous torque while cruising is a function of the prop radius and force put into it by the motor. You can't reduce that torque without also reducing thrust. τ = r × F

Propeller stator, not motor stator. Think like in a jet engine or pump jet.

Reactions: L13
Cuda X
Battery capacity (W-Hr)8501000940432864

Im not an expert on W-Hr and I understand all manufacturers exaggerate ... but aren't the PTB battery's for the Cuda X 20 V x 12 Ah x 4 - 960 W-Hr not 864?

Im not an expert on W-Hr and I understand all manufacturers exaggerate ... but aren't the PTB battery's for the Cuda X 20 V x 12 Ah x 4 - 960 W-Hr not 864?

The DeWalt PTBs in question are labeled 20V, but are actually 18V.

I want to second that. For me, there are several things that matter about a DPV, but one of the important ones is: working time at optimal speed (around 45m / min), propelling typical tec-diver equipment such as doubles + deco, or ccr + bailout. Seacraft helpfully has "working time at optimal speed" on their specs pages.

Propulsion is a consumable resource, like gas, and so should be thought of in terms of planning and redundancy, at least on technical dives. For example, if one is going open-water exploring, one should plan for equipment failures. If solo, one should bring a backup DPV sufficient to reach a safe exit from the furthest point of the dive -- this adds mass and drag to your rig, so you will effectively need more power if you want to maintain 45m / min. If not solo, then your buddy's redundant propulsion is your DPV, and each diver must be able to tow a buddy to a safe exit from the furthest point of the dive, ending with 1/3 propulsion capacity remaining (the last 1/3 is for true emergencies).

For example, future 1000 advertises 350 min at optimal speed, so usable capacity for planning is 230 minutes, and planning extra conservatism for towing ppl, heavy gear etc, I'd be comfortable using it to plan a run of 180-200 mins. After some charge cycles, I assume that on any of these, the battery isn't ready for replacement, but no longer charges fully.

The genesis 3.1 offers similar or better runtime to the future 1000 and I like its other properties such as continuously variable transmission, user-replaceable battery, sealed engine compartment etc. The Seacraft navigation system can be mounted on genesis, as I learned on this forum, so navigation alone is not a reason to choose the scooter. If I find myself wanting to regularly push beyond 3 hours, I'll get a 3.2 and keep the 3.1 as backup (also, a 3.1 can be converted to 3.2).

Oh? Link? I recently bought a 3.1 :D

Oh? Link? I recently bought a 3.1 :D

I learned this from @stuartv who wrote: "I have the Seacraft ENC3 on my Genesis. It mounts to a standard GoPro-style mount." The link is pasted below. Check out their 3D graphic, you can see how it mounts.

Seacraft also sell mounting brackets that come in 3 versions, one for future, ghost, and a universal one for any DPV. Obviously we genesis owners could use the "universal for any dpv" bracket, but what I don't know is whether the tube radius on the genesis 3.x is close enough to either the future or the ghost's tube radius, to where we could use one of the ghost/future specific brackets. If anyone knows the answer to that, please clue me in.

I learned this from @stuartv who wrote: "I have the Seacraft ENC3 on my Genesis. It mounts to a standard GoPro-style mount." The link is pasted below. Check out their 3D graphic, you can see how it mounts.

Seacraft also sell mounting brackets that come in 3 versions, one for future, ghost, and a universal one for any DPV. Obviously we genesis owners could use the "universal for any dpv" bracket, but what I don't know is whether the tube radius on the genesis 3.x is close enough to either the future or the ghost's tube radius, to where we could use one of the ghost/future specific brackets. If anyone knows the answer to that, please clue me in.

I received a Seacraft Ghost bracket for an ENC3 2 weeks ago, but I haven’t had a chance to try it on my Genesis yet. However, I believe it is 8mm bigger in diameter and will require some kind of shim to make it fit. But, we’ll see.

Meanwhile, I learned that the Genesis is the same diameter as a Sierra or Cuda, so I got this handle for my Genesis and have mounted the ENC3 using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom