Sea Quest Black Diamond or Balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do not tell me that I need to buy a BP/W. If I ever decide to tech dive, I'll buy one then.

I plan on buying either the Black Diamond of Balance from the LDS within a week or two. I would like opinions/comparisons of them. The both have their pros and cons. Here's my take one them. Please add your own. I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone that has been diving in both.

Keep in mind that 90% of my diving will be in quarries with a thick wetsuit with an occasional (once a year) vacation with air travel.

Black Diamond

pros
Lots of pockets and D rings
a lot of lift - 50#
convertible to handle doubles
can handle a lot of lead (32# ditchable, 10# trim)

cons
heavy and bulky to travel with
less streamlined in the water

Balance
pros
Light and easy to travel with.
more streamlined

cons
less lift 36# (plenty for a single cylinder)
with a 7mm farmer john, I'll have it close to maxed out on lead (20# ditchable 10# trim)
less pocket space

FWIW I'll also trying to decide on getting the air2 option on either and an open to opinions on this too. I have a perfectly good octo but it would be nice to have one less hose. Hopefully it'll never be used but I have no problem donating my primary in an OOA situation.

I'll edit this post and add any pros and cons that seem relevant to me.

I don't see lots of pockets, drings, and 50lbs of lift for a single tank bc to be advantages. Rather they loan themselves to being all boogered up with unnecessary junk. It may say it can be converted to doubles but that is a load of crap. It will be a jury rigged setup(factory but jury rigged nonetheless) and 42 lbs of lead in a bc is just dumb as well as completely unnecessary.

I personally would not buddy up with somebody who expected me to help them put a rig with that much weight in it on. Hell that's damn near what a set of doubles weighs when you add the tank. And putting all your lead in a bc when diving cold water or with heavy exposure suits is also less than a genuis move. Distribute the weight between the bc and a belt or weight harness.

If you already have an octo why go with an AIR2? One less hose? How long of a primary are you going to switch to? Hopefully a minimum of 40 inches or better yet a 5 footer routed under the arm and around the neck. How many times have you done an air share ascent with an AIR2 or similar? More importantly how many times has your buddy? Just don't see the logic here.

That is due to the fact that you have a BC with a potential 50lbs of lift. Don't put so much air in it, and you'll be fine. The idea is not to float your torso on top of the water, just get your mouth above it :)

I had very little air in it the first time I used it and it pushed me forward, tho I had no weight in the trim pockets at the time. Also, I was use to a jacket style befor this one.
I put very little air in my BC's, ever,, a quick shot or two to compensate for the compression of my suit, tho I am still working on the weights a bit, I do have it pretty close now. All I"m saying is it takes a little getting use to if your use to a jacket style, At least it was for me. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. At least what I found with the BC.

I know you don't want to hear it, but I have dove all three professionally. Get a BP/W and an long primary hose with the 2nd on a bungee on your neck. Your buoyancy skills will improve dramatically.

I have over 100 dives on my Black Diamond and really like it. I like the heavy-duty D-rings and pockets, although I don't tend to carry a bunch of stuff, I like having choices where to carry or clip things. The pockets are big enough to carry a spare light or trash I pickup on the bottom. The little center pocket is a great place for emergency shears.

I can clip my camera or fins to the d-rings and not worry about some cheap plastic ring breaking when I climb out of the water. I just hate plastic rings. Having rings front and back gives you choices on how to clip on things like a safety sausage, spool, spare light, camera, or gauge retractor.

It has not been a problem for travel, I just pack my other gear around it and inside it. The shoulder straps unbuckle and the waist strap folds over so it packs small enough to fit in a gear bag.

The Aqualung AirSource2 (or whatever the proper name) has been a good choice. Keeps from having a dangling hose and seems to work well. I use it early in every dive trip to make sure it's working well and it seems to breath good. I don't mind donating the primary if needed since I use the AirSource often enough to be used to it. However, when diving with family, I can sure understand wanting to have a good backup on a longer hose to donate.

Friends of mine really like the Balance and I agree it is a good BC. If you want to save a little money and have a little smaller package for travel, I think it's an excellent choice. I might have Balance had I not received a fabulous deal on a Black Diamond. Every person I've asked has said they really like the Balance, never heard anyone complain about it.

PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DIVE SHOP. If you like having a local shop to walk into, like having a place to get air, like having a place to look/touch/try/sample/discuss gear, and like the local people, then please spend your money there so they can stay in business. Buying at LeisurePro sends the money out of town. Spending your money locally helps keep the local shop open so they can help you when you need it. Please support your local shop and keep their doors open (if they are good and deserve it).

I would also sugust you upgrade to the Air Source 3 over the 2. Used it in class this weekend and it breathes MUCH nicer than the 2

If the balance is cheaper then I'd go with that. The reason I say that is because eventually and inevitably at some point you will see the light and move into a BP/W, and that will be less money you've ultimately wasted. If you hang out on scubaboard long enough or get out and see what evrybody else is using and don't bury your head in the sand or move into a cave you will eventually realize why most people in the know get into a BP/W, even people who just dive singles and have no intention of ever getting into doubles or tech diving will go with a BP/W, and there is a reason why.
I'm sure your LDS is fighting against BP/W with a fury and has a death grip on you as a customer and very very badly wants to sell you a Black Diamond or the Balance, and there is a reason for that too.

I had a Black Diamond once. In fact this was my first BC. It was a few generations older than what they have now, but never the less it was a huge POS (in my opinion).
The reason it was a POS to me is because it was bulky, it had way too much lift for what it was intended for, and also because it was weight integrated. Weight integrated BC's have to have more lift because they must be able to float all that weight plus the tank on the surface. The problem with a huge bladder is that you get air wandering around and throwing you trim off. Another reason huge air cells are inapropriate is because they cause way too much drag. All those D rings are worthless and besides you can't move them around to suit personal needs. They really are not intended for doubles. I suppose they'd work but it seems like a giant CF at that point. So with the Black Diamond, I see it as a unit that is neither good for single tank regular recreational diving or for doubles tech diving. In essence it is a huge waste of money (IMO).

I have an Air II I'll sell you cheap. PM me if you want it. There's a reason why I no longer use that either.

Thanks to all for the opinions. I honestly think that I would be happy with either one. I guess it will come down to which ever one feels the best while wearing it.

PLEASE SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DIVE SHOP. If you like having a local shop to walk into, like having a place to get air, like having a place to look/touch/try/sample/discuss gear, and like the local people, then please spend your money there so they can stay in business. Buying at LeisurePro sends the money out of town. Spending your money locally helps keep the local shop open so they can help you when you need it. Please support your local shop and keep their doors open (if they are good and deserve it).

I do plan on doing that. The owner is offering me a great deal on either one. He's within $5-10 of what LeisurePro gets and will take it back if I don't like it.

I would also sugust you upgrade to the Air Source 3 over the 2. Used it in class this weekend and it breathes MUCH nicer than the 2

What's the difference? I didn't realize that there was more than one available for SeaQuest BC's.

I like the idea of heavier rings on the BD but wouldn't care for having four on the shoulder when two would be fine.
While I'm close to maxing out the lift of a Balance in salt water with a dry suit, I would be thankful for a little additonal lift of the BD should I have a dry suit tear.
Packing the BD would not be so terrible. If your traveling you can always leave the integrated weight pockets home as most resorts use hard weights and belts. You can always unbolt the "side panels" and lay them flat and then reattach when there.
I don't care for the front pocket and band on the BD. Would prefer a buckle like the Balance.
I don't like alot of stuff in pockets but the Balance single pocket would be bothersome to have to dig into to get something out.
I would opt not to get an Air2 or 3. Another hose is no big deal if its routed and secured properly.
While I don't like a bunch of padding on a BC, the lumbar pad on the Balance bugged me, while I didn't notice the BD as much.
If your going to travel alot a Balance would make it alot easier. If only once a year then it dosen't matter to much IMHO.
Get in the water with both if you haven't already. How they feel on the showroom floor is not how they feel underwater with a tank on.

I beat he heck out of my black diamond for over 200 dives. Got caught on wrecks,been used on safety dives, has been abused by students during certification dives, and it has always been an excellent performer. It's also much more comfortable than the balance for quaryy diving. The balance is an excellent choice as well, but would be more suited for warmer diving or for diving dry. You never realize how much those stupid little extra d rings come in handy over the course of diving. The air 3 is also excellent. Strongly reccomend it as I just upgraded from the air 2.
I've dove the quaries in you area and the balance didnt perform as well because of the small lift and the need for extra weight for thicker wetsuits. Of course the balance would stop you from rocketing to the surface if you panic easy. Just my input, hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom