Sea Elite 300 bar Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At the very least the logo stamp is different and
I know they used to be the same but I don't think
they are now from my comparison.

BTW the good knobs are indicated by the presence
of 4 tiny holes equally spaced in the rubber. You
have to remove the know to see this indication on
the inside of the knob right where the screw tightens
onto the knob. Does that make sense or do I need
to post a picture?

Kell

The picture of the holes is in the link I posted and you're right, the $85 logo is different.

To be fair, it's hard to make and apples-to-apples comparison because whoever makes the manifold is reacting quickly to improve the product. Kinda like every time I order a Halcyon wing there's something different versus the previous wing; some tweak has been done to improve the wing.

My first 300 BAR Sea Elite was polished and had a sloped back to the valve, circa '99. The second was also polished, but had the flat back like the 200 BAR valve but no dimple for the A clamp screw, circa '00. The third was frosted and had the dimple for the A clamp (but of course could not accept one since it was 300 BAR), circa '01.

If you were comparing a current Halcyon to an older Sea Elite I'm not surprised you saw a difference.

Roak

so you're saying they are still the same?
Besides the markings and finish that is.

If they are I still like that halcyon posted the
recall where I might find it. Where would I
have seen the sea elite recall notice?

Just asking,

Kell

...my Halcyon has the dimple in the back too...what's that for? Something to do with the manufacturing process? Like you said, I can't use an a-clamp/yoke since it is 300 bar...not to mention it wouldn't fit over the valve anyway.

I just bought one on Tuesday. Comparing it to the Dive Rite I was used to, I like it a lot better. Build wise they seem the same, but the valves and knobs make all the difference in the world. All three of mine have about 1.25 to 1.5 rotations from open to close. They are super smooth, and easy to turn. Then the fact that the knobs are a nice impact absorbing rubber makes it all that much better. I can't wait to put it all together! Now the Dive Rite that I was used to using took forever to close, and was not smooth at all.

I also had 'other brand' tank bands and switched
them to Highland bands. The center spacing difference
enabled turning the isolater 3 more times around to
get a more solid seat/more protection.

Be careful about band spacing.

Kell

O-ring once bubbled...
...my Halcyon has the dimple in the back too...what's that for? Something to do with the manufacturing process? Like you said, I can't use an a-clamp/yoke since it is 300 bar...not to mention it wouldn't fit over the valve anyway.
Cost reduction. They’re only making one “raw” manifold now (300 BAR) and to make the 200 BAR version they use a facing cutter to cut back the DIN face to 200 BAR dimensions (before plating and bead blasting). So you get the 200 BAR “dimple” free and at no extra charge on a 300 BAR valve! :)

You can see this dimple easily in the Halcyon manifold (that’s only available in 300 BAR as far as I know) in the picture: http://www.halcyon.net/images/manifolds_X-2_02.jpg which shows both the SAE and metric (W/O burst disk) valves.

Back circa ’99 whoever builds these things had two completely different molds for 200 and 300 BAR valves.

Roak

kcanty once bubbled...
I also had 'other brand' tank bands and switched
them to Highland bands. The center spacing difference
enabled turning the isolater 3 more times around to
get a more solid seat/more protection.
Highland bands No Ka Oi! (Ok, who in here knows a smattering of Hawaiian?) I have Highland bands for all my doubles, they’re great bands!

Please note that additional crossover engagement will not “protect” anything. In fact the bands “protect” the crossover! The crossover should spin freely somewhat when the doubles are assembled, in other words there should be ZERO force on the crossover threads when correctly assembled.

Roak

Roakey is entirely correct!

My statement was only to say that the extra
... "engagement" of the isolater into the valves
was better. The use of the word protection
was probably bad. ( yet another reason
internet diving is not good... )

Kell

I figured it was a manufacturing deal...

Back
Top Bottom