SDI: SCUBA Diving International????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8fuldiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is my first post to this board so I will start with a hello to everyone here. :crafty:

I have my open water certification through PADI. I am beginning to take classes for my advance certification. However, the scuba shop in my area offers SDI courses. I am familar with PADI and NAUI but have never heard of SDI. My question is this: is SDI a recognized and respected organization within the diving community?

My ultimate goal is to work my way up to assistant instructor and maybe further down the road become an instructor. Given my location it appears that SDI is my only option for advance classes.

Whats everyones take on SDI. Should I wait and find a way to become certified through PADI or NAUI, or is SDI acceptable. I would like to hear some input about SDI before I begin spending the time, money, and energy with these courses. I do not want to get certified through an organization that is not widely known or accepted. Please post any input you might have on this subject. Thanks...

-E

I posted this question in the classes board. It looks like it might get more traffic on this board. Sorry for the multiple post but I really want to hear some input on this

I think you will find an overwhelming opinion on this board of "choose the instructor not the agency" for this recreational level. SDI has a growing reputation, it is one of the newer agencies, so is therefore slightly less recognized than others, but diving is diving and knowlege and education is good.

When you get to the professional levels, you might want to look at a more widely recognized agency, but that depends a lot on where you want to work.

Thanks Mark. I agree with the choose the instructor, not the agency philosophy. I am planning on taking my advance certification with SDI and begin instructor courses after. I just wanted to make sure that this organization was not "blacklisted" within the greater SCUBA community before I proceeded.

-E

But SDI does do some things differently.

IIRC, SDI does not strictly require OW students to learn dive tables. This means that some shops (ours included) require divers with only an SDI OW cert to dive with a computer.

Also, IIRC SDI has instituted an online education program to do most of the academic work for OW over the web. This is not without its detractors.

Final note of difference is that SDI offers a Solo Diver cert which has many detractors as well.

I'm not sure that I think it really matters what agencies' courses you take as you work up through some sort of Rescue Diver type training. Beyond that at the pro level the demands of teh market where you would be working should be considered.

And, since SDI is the only place near you for advanced courses, you can take those courses now, rather than having to move. there are ways to "cross over" to other agencies later, to get your ratings for other agencies, if desired. I have no personal experience with this though.

Drew made a great suggestion which is to consider the market within which you intend to teach, when choosing your professional courses. Through Rescue, I believe most agencies recognize the other agency certs, but please check into this with the agencies you intend to move to.

SDI is the recreational diving branch of TDI, the biggest technical training agency. Although SDI is young, came into existence in 1999, they are now the 3rd largest agency and growing fast. It is a very well respected agency, started by people well respected in the dive industry. They have great courses that are producing some good divers.
If you are interested in advanced training, SDI is a much better choice. They have a truely good Advanced Diver Development program. To become Advanced certified, you will need to complete 4 specialty courses and have logged 25 dives. Advancement into the professional ranks is a good idea with SDI as the programs you will teach are innovative and cutting edge.
Best of luck to you, and be sure and check out their website at www.tdisdi.com

SDI has one of the better Advanced Open Water Diver programs around. Also remember, that just because you get your advanced with SDI, you don't necessarily need to get anything higher from them. They are an accepted member of the RSTC which sets standrds for training and certification and their advanced certification is accepted by almost all other agencies. Go with it, see if you like the way they do business and then make up your mind.

jeadiver:
SDI has one of the better Advanced Open Water Diver programs around. Also remember, that just because you get your advanced with SDI, you don't necessarily need to get anything higher from them. They are an accepted member of the RSTC which sets standrds for training and certification and their advanced certification is accepted by almost all other agencies. Go with it, see if you like the way they do business and then make up your mind.

Very reasonable suggestion...

I did the Solo Diver certificatoin with an SDI instructor and was very happy with the quality of education. I agree that their system for AOW looks superior to PADI.

JAG

Thanks for the input. Everyone's posts have been very helpful. I recently completed my Night Diver cert. and I'm taking the Nitrox class this Wednesday. I should have my advance before mid-june :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom