SD-1 Military Tan Delta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SD-1's I ordered came today, they are just what I've been looking for. My foot is big enough that they fit bare foot, with 3mm, 5mm and dry suit over boot. Finally one fin for everything.

Went for a dive with them and wore myself out testing them out, no cramps, straps didn't work loose, comfortable from start to finish.

Tomorrow I'll be using them with a drysuit, I'm thinking the results will be the same.
Great fin
Thanks Bob and everyone that put them together for me.

Just thought I'd give an update on the SD-1's
20 dives and love them.
In my current location donning doffing fins is a critical issue shore diving off of reefs, I put springs on my previous fins, SD-1's I'm leaving the heal strap loose then quickly pulling the loose end.
Is there a spring strap/bungee conversion?

MONGODIVES, Thanks for the update. The USMC asked me to design a bungee heel strap system. We have used this system with success. You can purchase the foot pocket only and re-lace on your fins. How is the nonskid felt sole holding up on the beach dives? Thanks, Best Bob

Felt bottom is holding up great, I don and doff in waste deep or greater water so they don't get much contact with the coral.
I think I have the foot pocket broken in now, I've dove enough with them that I have the routine down on getting them on and the heal strap tightened quick enough not to get rolled up onto the reef.

Again thanks for the great fins

Bob,

I just returned from a week in Turks and Caicos. It was a great opportunity to test out and compare the SD-1 Military with the Force Fin Pro and my ScubaPro Twin Jets. Up to now, I have only been able to try them out in a pool.

Bottom Line: The fins are the best! The housing for the foot, not so.

The fin (Tan Delta portion) glides through the water with ease. On several occasions, I needed to inch forward or backwards to take a picture of a wary fish. With a slight flick of the fins, I was able to make minor adjustments in my position. They were extremely responsive. My Twin Jets could never adjust my position with such ease.

I even raced my wife at one point. The fins propelled me forward with ease. For traveling against a slight current, they were equally powerful to any other fin I have tried. All in all, I like the fins.

The foot pocket is a different story. I had some difficulties getting in the boat. Removing the heel clip was easy. Sliding the fin off my bootie was not easy. I was constantly in fear that I would have to yank so hard, I would lose my grip of the fin and drop it. (It never happened, but the fear was there.) The "housing" around the foot is very bulky. I felt I was in a walking cast with it on. I normally like the feeling of more freedom for my toes. This attachment locked my entire foot in place. It's too bad there is not a Force Fin Pro foot pocket for this fin. That would be much nicer.

Doug

DHUSKINS, thanks for the update. The support around the foot on the SD-1 is tough on this model. To help cut down the bulky factor, try cutting the loose ends of the straps running over the top of foot pocket. The foot pocket adjustment is important to my customers. Also you might have the foot pocket to tight on your feet. The fin does drive onto your foot as it pushes you forward. Also I have found that you need to wear in the foot pocket, like a new boot. Thanks for your report. Best Bob

Last edited:
certainly I had similar problems very similar to this when I started with the SD-1. I found that fitting the foot pocket correctly is key to making it work well for you. The instinct is to wrap the pocket tightly, and you really don't need to do that, just snug enough to minimize lateral flop is enough. The heel strap needs to be tight, as it is the ONLY ForceFin I have ever kicked loose from my foot. By leaving the foot pocket a little looser will make don/doff easier and will not affect performance at all.

It did help some to "work" the foot pocket material to reduce some of its stiffness, specially right before you dive, over time, this will mold the material to your foot size and fit will improve.

Also,
if you own a number of different models it might take a while to get used to switching back and forth between them. I still belive they are my favorites

Bob, I will play with the tightness of the pocket.

Overall, they are the best fins I have worked with for photography. Excellent control over my position and the ability to move slowly make them ideal for sneaking up on wary fish.

Hello everyone:

Finally I tested this morning the Force Fin SD-1 Military Tan Delta. Are excellent, very strong and powerful, perhaps the most powerful and hard I've tried of Force Fin (Pro, Tan Delta, Extra Force Fin Tan Delta)
Very good for the frogkick, great acceleration, but they need good legs to move.
The fins are really very very good and recommendable, are amazing.

Best regards
Saludos
Jose

Back
Top Bottom