ScubaPro vs. everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoop,

Regarding my comments about service intervals above....

I was just goofing on Matt and his comments about George Irvine and his 5 year service interval.....since in his original post he said he ran over his scubapro with a truck and then proceeded to dive with it immediately afterwards......

-LD

In response to your reply about scubapro not offering the best and most streamlined hose configurations which regulator offers a cleaner area for hoses than the Mark 20?

I know for a fact it wouldn't be a DS4 with or without swivel, nor would it be the TX100 or ATX200 first stages.

You're going to have to substantiate this one I think for sure.

:fork:

Hey guys,

I bought a ScubaPro MK16/S550 combo and R190 octo a few months ago when I bit the bullet and bought my single-tank DIR rig. The dive shop sold Apeks, but I hadn't even heard of them! I suppose I just didn't do enough homework. :( All the homework I did assured me that ScubaPro was the way to go, though -- so I walked into the store and said "I trust ScubaPro." Being an employee of a trustworthy and friendly store, he talked me through the choices, and dutifully sold me the ScubaPro regs.

Now everything I hear is Apeks... :( My DM instructor, whom I trust a great deal, agrees with most of the crowd that the Apeks is the best reg made. I've been very pleased with my ScubaPro regs so far, except that my S550 always free-flows when the mouthpiece is pointing up, which gets old. As it stands, I can't clip off my primary to my harness, because it'll just free-flow like nuts. I believe this has nothing to do with it being a ScubaPro, and everything to do with it being poorly tuned. I'll get it tuned soon.

I'm seriously considering a set of double LP steel 95's or 104's in the future (Cave I is calling my name!) and I'll have to buy an additional first stage. I'd like to have two identical first-stages just to be "consistent."

So my choices are:

1) Sell (or just retire) the ScubaPro regs and get two Apeks first stages and two Apeks second stages (TX100 and TX50?)
2) Keep the ScubaPro regs and buy an additional MK16 first-stage.
3) Use one MK16 and one Apeks first-stage.

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks -- my instructor has me pretty much convinced that choice (1) is the best -- go for Apeks all-around. Maybe keep the MK16 with a yoke connection for open-water rec diving.

And Matt, you can save your breath, because I'm not going to listen to you -- you're obviously more salesman than diver, and I don't trust you.

- Warren

Warren,

I wouldn't advise taking a huge loss on that reg. That SP IS a good reg, but it's not an Apeks. It might make a decent stage or deco reg or open water reg like you said. However, if you can get a decent price for it on E-bay or something, then I would go with option No.1.

As I've said before, I like the DS4's and TX100 first stages. I'm still working on fixing all my mistakes over the years, but I nearly have all my regs switched to Apeks DS4's. The TX50 and TX100 seconds are virtually identical, as is the ATX200 and ATX50 seconds (the 200 has a bigger heat exchanger).
I would (read: have done) go with an ATX second for a primary for it's lighter weight, TX40 for a backup, and TX50's for stages and deco regs. TX100's firsts aren't too bad for doubles unless you intend to use the back tanks for suit inflation (then you have to use that 1/2" port). It's not a biggie, but it's still there. I've decided to go with the DS4's to keep everything the same and interchangable. The DS4's are cheaper to buy too.

It's your call about what to do with the SP. For me, it would depend on how much I could get for it. If you paid top dollar for it, it may not be worth selling.

Mike

Originally posted by VTWarrenG

1) Sell (or just retire) the ScubaPro regs and get two Apeks first stages and two Apeks second stages (TX100 and TX50?)
2) Keep the ScubaPro regs and buy an additional MK16 first-stage.
3) Use one MK16 and one Apeks first-stage.

- Warren

Hey Warren... don't sweat it man... the ScubaPro will be just fine for you as a single tank reg or a stage/deco reg. If you elect to sell it don't dump it at a low price. If you are going to double up I would suggest that you get two Apeks DS4 or US4 first in 300 BAR DIN. And if you are starting to dive doubles realize that you will be needing at least one deco bottle and reg set... which you already have in t he ScubaPro!:D (unless it is a yoke reg.. then I would sell it and get DIN for the deco too.)

Just my opinion though.... and of course what a lot of us have done... :wink:

Hey Mike,

Thanks, as always, for the good, honest advice. I wish everyone was so candid. :wink:

I'm sure, once I get into deco diving, I'll need some stage regs, so I guess you're right -- I might as well keep the SP's. I'm a little wary of your description of them, though: "they might make a decent stage or deco" reg. Sounds like you're not too keen on them even for that purpose. What is the stage/deco reg of choice?

I'm also discovering that I should have bought a Halcyon BP/wing instead of my DiveRite Trek wing. :( I could have gotten the Halcyon/Apeks gear for just about the same price that I spent on the DiveRite/SP gear. :(

How does Apeks compare to SP in terms of service/support? SP is supposedly second to none in that category, at least.

- Warren

When I got my Apeks (Zeagle at the time) my Mk20/G250s moved to my stage bottles.

The hose routing with the Mk20s was great. With the Apeks it's even better.

Roak

UP,

It currently IS a yoke reg, but the kit to convert to DIN is only like $50. For sure, I'm going to convert to DIN when I start getting my own tanks and such. The only reason it's a yoke is because many boats (in my experience) still seem to assume everyone uses a yoke.

- Warren

Hey Warren,

The SP will be fine reg for either a stage or deco bottle. Might make for a good argon reg too someday.

I've been down your exact same road once upon a time with the BC. The Halcyon wing is very well constructed. I have wasted more money than I care to think about.

I haven't had to send my Apeks regs in for service. They haven't broke yet :wink:. I can get the parts really cheap too, so that doesn't bother me much. I hear SP is very good in the service department. I have never heard a bad thing about Apeks service -- only glowing reviews over the last several years I have been paying attention.

Mike

PS. Go with DIN for everything.

Back
Top Bottom