Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans is either a nut job or a genius - has anyone tried any of these designs? I found a crazy pair of hinged fins something like these on Ebay (can't remember the maker) and was thinking of getting them just for grins.

I've tried many of the crazy designs, most of them are at least as good as anything on the market. Some I am not a fan of, but its because I have specific things I want in a fin and some of Bob's crazier ideas are just not well suited to my style. Much of the crazier fins that he makes are because he can and it seems like a good idea, basically they're prototypes not really intended for production, but more to prove a specific point about what fins can and can not do. Each has its little lesson. Its from these lessons that Bob has fine tuned the Original ForceFin into the Extra, Excellerator, and the Flying Force, not to mention how the Foil Force evolved (the first commercial split fin).

In the traditional sense, Bob is not an Engineer, in the classical sense he is, similar to DiVinci. He knows how water moves around a fin because he observes, he learns from it and his expiriments has taught him, not by equations of fluid dynamics, but because he can just see it in his head. Half art, half science, all heart and soul. So genius, well maybe... because the fins that he brings to market, just plain work.

Messier

Nicely put. I assumed a lot of these designs were one-offs and never made it to full production but are interesting nevertheless.

The pair of fins I found on Ebay are made by Fluid Flight. I wonder if anyone out there has tried them. I wish I could download the pictures from Ebay. They are literally in two parts - foot and fin, hinged with a bungee so the fin moves much as a dolphins does.

I can't wait to try the SW-N's the moment they come to my LDS! I fell in love with the aesthetics the moment I saw them (okay, I'm a sci-fi buff), and the ScubaPro vid on YouTube shows some good paddle action that appears to be quite powerful and useful.

My one gripe (listen-up ScupaPro, et al): offer some colors. Specifically YELLOW. My current fins are Apollo Bio Pro-C's and ScubaPro TwinJets, both in yellow - because where I dive, sometimes it's the ONLY thing my students can see! In dark, low-vis conditions you need some kind of marker, and my fellow divers in the area usually comment that even if they can't see their own buddy, they could always see me - even if I was off in another direction....

The whole 'all-black' gear nonsense seems to be either nothing but cool-guy posturing or a way for the extra-coordinated types to make sure nothing clashes... (oh, and the overly aesthetically conservative folks who think certain things can only be a certain way!). :wink: (Actually, I know it's also because it would be ludicrously expensive to offer too many options on too many products, but I can dream.)

I'm saying that is one fugly fin!!!! :lotsalove: :rofl3:

I'm not even going to pretend not to laugh when I see someone wearing those things! :rofl3:
Yah they may not look good, but hay they work, there designed with aerodynamics in mind. Give them a try before you knock them.

In fact, im willing to bet that if you tried them, they may be the last pair you ever bought.

I can't wait to try the SW-N's the moment they come to my LDS! I fell in love with the aesthetics the moment I saw them (okay, I'm a sci-fi buff), and the ScubaPro vid on YouTube shows some good paddle action that appears to be quite powerful and useful.

My one gripe (listen-up ScupaPro, et al): offer some colors. Specifically YELLOW. My current fins are Apollo Bio Pro-C's and ScubaPro TwinJets, both in yellow - because where I dive, sometimes it's the ONLY thing my students can see! In dark, low-vis conditions you need some kind of marker, and my fellow divers in the area usually comment that even if they can't see their own buddy, they could always see me - even if I was off in another direction....

The whole 'all-black' gear nonsense seems to be either nothing but cool-guy posturing or a way for the extra-coordinated types to make sure nothing clashes... (oh, and the overly aesthetically conservative folks who think certain things can only be a certain way!). :wink: (Actually, I know it's also because it would be ludicrously expensive to offer too many options on too many products, but I can dream.)

I agree with you about the color. Where I am there is little to no vis on a good day. usually around 6 ft. which can be dangerous. We've started using gps bands. a little expensive but they work, and well.

Three consecutive posts... Did we touch a nerve? :eyebrow:

In fact, im willing to bet that if you tried them, they may be the last pair you ever bought.

You'd lose that bet. :) Any fins I own have to be designed to do back kicks and helicopter turns in addition to frog kicks. This type of superflutterkick fin failed that test back in the design stage, when it was still a CAD drawing.

I tried the briefly a few weeks back. My buddy tried them out for the dive (and wound up buying them) and let me test them for a quick swim. I currently use the ScubaPro Jet fin...good ol classic fin. My first thought when I tried them on was "wow that was easy and they feel comfortable". Next the swim felt effortless. BUT I was not able to test both fins in a "swim off" to see what suits me better. You feel the resistance with the Jet Fins...and you move with them. So I do like them, but think someone should test them vs their old fin before buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom