Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I saw the humor in most of the comments. I know fins, masks, wetsuits....etc are all subjective to each individual. A debate on this matter would probably never see an end point. I say, my perfect fin is someone else's trash, who knows? My instructor can't live without them, I personally can. No big deal, I tried them and moved on. I would just suggest give them a shot at the pool and if you don't like them, return them for something else. I hope my trial into finhood can inspire others to have fun.

I've been skeptical of using AL Sling Shots because the bands are a break point. I can't really see a hinge in the photo of the seawing. Or do they just mean where those two large beams are notched? Seems like they would crack over time. Am I missing something?

Could be the best fins evar, who knows. Be interesting to see what the religiously DIR types say.

They do seem to have the two bands "Notched out" to keep it a one piece fin. I do no have the experience to tell you if they would crack over time. I can just tell you they are comfortable and they seem to work with my type of ankle and kick pattern. Maybe contact Scuba Pro and see if they'd let you try a pair or to see where they are holding their next tent sale. I was actually shocked when the Rep asked if I wanted to try them out just giving her my phone #. We don't that much anymore.....Trust

Last edited:
I saw the Seawing at a dive show in March, and the Scuba Pro rep said that the bands
have a factory warranty for replacement. I'd guess, only if they keep making them...

What do you think a fin should look like???

We have lots of brain cells out there. Let's get them together and come up with a design what we all think would be a good fin. Just request what is most important to your individual needs and define the value that you give to the feature or benefit. So arbitrarily lets set a scale of one to ten and no fives. Ten is the best and one is the worst and 5 is a b.s. answer.
Features are specific details such as must be fushia color. Benefits are what the fin will do for the diver.
I have a pair of seawings from the first mold shot from the original mold using a high quality EVA polyethylene blade (tuperware type material) and thermoplastic rubber foot pocket. I put the age of the fins at about 25 years old. The limiting knotches in the side rails are still good and uncracked. I would think that with a good quality plastic or rubber the cracking problem would be so minimal that any company could guarentee the product for an extended time and feel safe to make money on the guarentee. DSCI0001.jpg

DSCI0003.jpg

DSCI0002.jpg
Lamont

Hi Gang,

I own several different pairs of fins for different purposes, and had a chance to try out the Scuba Pro Seawing Nova a couple of weeks ago (demo from the Scuba Pro rep). The size I tried was one size too small, but even though, I was able to tolerate several hours with the fin to eval it.

Overall, I'd strongly recommend these fins based on personal experience (and in fact, I have already backordered my correct size through the dive shop :)). My breakdown of positives and negatives is below:

POSITIVES:
  1. Without a doubt the fastest "flutter" fin I've ever tried. I can kick up a wake in these babies that might get me in trouble with some marinas (slow - no wake). They make my amphibians feel like I'm in a paddle wheel (whereas in the Seawing Nova, I'm more along the lines of a Chriscraft Stinger, if you get my drift)
  2. I generally cramp up quickly in a flutter with a hard fin (or even a split-tail), but these were significantly more comfortable in a flutter kick, and I lasted quite a bit longer before any signs of cramping (I compared back-to-back with paddle fins to make sure it wasn't a conditions thing and cramped quickly in the paddles as usual).
  3. These fins are excellent for kicking backward (backing yourself up) - the work better than any paddle I've used - or any fin at all for that matter - I suspect the tip-ups are helping here.
  4. Current = "no problem" if you're even mildly good with the flutter kick. You'll be the only person on the drift dive who stays at the entry point. :wink:
  5. They are comfortable to wear for me - I could see some folks having potential issues though.
  6. The integrated stretch band on the back is nice. Feels kinda like an advance spring band (although it's a bungie cord).
  7. The stretch band has a large integrated loop to grab on to for donning/removal, which stays put at the back of the band.

NEGATIVES:
  1. This depends on how you intend to use the fin, but because of the tipped-up edges, the modified frog is not "textbook possible". I will continue to work on this kick with them until I find a "sweet spot".
  2. The frog kick takes some modification as well.
  3. The foot pocket is a reasonably rigid material, so fit may be an issue for some people.
  4. I would like to see test results of the "hinge" mechanism they are using - it just feels like there is potential for joint failure over time, but perhaps they have addressed this in materials or mechanics in some way that is not readily visible.
  5. This is a guess, but I suspect the "tip-ups" make for interesting packing into normal "fin pockets" in certain types of SCUBA luggage (as in "HOW THE !&@%!* DO I GET THIS !$&@ THING in our SCUBA LUGGAGE, MARGE??!?" - you get the point).

Bottom line - try this one before you buy - it's very individual in nature.

Regards,

-S

Last edited:
If a modified frog kick isn't straight forward, I can only imagine what a back kick would be like in them.

I like Syonker's post. I've tried a number of different fins by differing manufacturers. I miss my Mares Volo's which I found the most comfortable and efficient and stupidly sold to a friend. I could motor with those with little effort. 'Have to buy another pair. My Cressi's are neither as good or comfortable. Neither are the old-style OMS turbo's I have. I'm really curious about these new Scubapro's and would like to hear any comparison with Apollo Bio's that anyone might have.

ImageGen.aspx

You are saying that this.

Is a ripoff of:

original282.jpg

Do I have that right?
craig_ops.jpg

Thanks for the post! They are all the right ones. Force Fin has designed and water tested numerous - like hundreds of different fin designs.
ff_newblade_be.jpg

cf_cayman_be.jpg

opsII_cayman03._be.jpg

You might be able to see more similarity with some these photos that were shot in 2003 while the OPS Force Fin was in development. Join us at the Force Fin equipment sub forum as Bob will be posting more photos on the OPS.
ops_cayman03_be.jpg

Bob has been making Fins since 1971.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom