Scubapro online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The letter (A reply to an inquiry I made) and their web site seem pretty clear to me. Key lines:

SCUBAPRO UWATEC USA does not authorize sales via the internet nor via mail order.

Although some of our dealers advertise our equipment, once again they are not authorized to make direct sales through the internet, but rather, authorized dealers are only authorized to sell SCUBAPRO UWATEC USA equipment over the counter at their retail location.

If you so choose to purchase SCUBAPRO UWATEC products online, the warranty will be voided.

awap:
I do see the disconnect between this letter and related statements on the SP website. The source of my (our) confusion is fairly clear. I'm not sure what the source of SP's confusion is. If I have time, I will contact them about the ST sale and see what they say.

Al, you should do check-outs in Maui, I'd love to join you.

this is a KEY line too:

"SCUBAPRO UWATEC USA does not authorize sales via the internet nor via mail order. We maintain a minimum pricing policy that our authorized dealers adhere to."

Isn't this known as "price fixing"? Should be up to the seller how much markup they need to both draw business and survive.
Be happy SP doesn't make cars.

rmannix:
this is a KEY line too:

Isn't this known as "price fixing"? Should be up to the seller how much markup they need to both draw business and survive.
Be happy SP doesn't make cars.

It seems strange until you realize the sellers pay tens of thousands of dollars for SP to fix those prices. I have to hand it to them. They've figured out how to get OTHER people to PAY them to use monopoly practices. Even the Bell Telephone group and Standard Oil couldn't get this done.

PerroneFord:
SP agrees and then charges authorized shops $10k for this "service".

PerroneFord:
It seems strange until you realize the sellers pay tens of thousands of dollars for SP to fix those prices. I have to hand it to them. They've figured out how to get OTHER people to PAY them to use monopoly practices. Even the Bell Telephone group and Standard Oil couldn't get this done.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here PerroneFord, but are you under the impression that SP dealers pay $10k for the privilege to be dealers? SP has high dollar opening orders, but the dealers do get products in exchange for their money.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Could you please reply in a more snotty tone or in some way make yourself out to be more of a jackass so that I can understand better?

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I think he's confused in a lot of ways...maybe the herb?

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
So, now you have called one of the more valued members of this board and the dive community a liar. I think maybe you should quit while you're ahead, lest your ignorance make you look even more foolish.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
You Oregon guys sure do throw around a lot of thinly veiled accusations regarding people getting screwed by Internet sales, Internet vendors being liars, etc.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Seriously, do some of the things Oregonians do to relax like go log a forest or come down here and drive badly...you'll feel better

hu·mu·hu·mu·nu·ku·nu·ku·a·pu·a·a (hū'mū-hū'mū-nū'kū-nū'kū-ä'pū-ä'ä') pronunciation
n., pl. humuhumunukunukuapuaa or -as.

Either of two triggerfishes, Rhinecanthus aculeatus or R. rectangulus, native to the outer reefs of Hawaii, the latter having a broad black band on the side and a black triangle at the beginning of the tail.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
LOL. Making fun of Californians buying into Oregon...like shooting fish in a barrel!

Funny you should put it like that :wink:

xiSkiGuy:
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying here PerroneFord, but are you under the impression that SP dealers pay $10k for the privilege to be dealers? SP has high dollar opening orders, but the dealers do get products in exchange for their money.

Ah yes... that's right. You make a HUGE first order, and you can get to be a dealer. I believe AquaLung is the same. Not sure why I was thinking it was merely a franchise fee. Do they have to do this every year or just for their opening order?

Thanks.

Opening order minimums are pretty common in retail (Once upon a time, I managed a ski/outdoor store). It is also not that unusual in retail for a company that perceives that it is a little more popular than the rest to start requiring large opening orders or higher and higher volume levels to get max discount. Another popular "program" in the ski/outdoor industry is to require that you order a certain number of items in each of their product "categories": clothing, hardgoods, footwear, baselayers, ect.

The LDS I worked thru decided to get into skiing, rolling ski deck and all. (in Austin TX)
Went out of business pretty quick after that.

Remember Dave, CA, where road rage was invented :)

I have been watching this thread for a while now, and finally decided to reply. From what I can see, SP has taken an interesting position (or lack of) regarding internet sales. Their official policy states that do not authorize online or mail order sales, but have done nothing to really stop the gray market problem. If they really wanted to stop gray market sales through online and mail order outlets, they could and it would be as easy as ordering one of their serial-numbered products from LeisurePro and tracking back to the company that SP orginally shipped the product. From what Larry says, it sounds like Aeris has taken this approach and has dried-up the supply of their products to LeisurePro.

I am a fan of ScubaPro and wish I could get their products online. However, I understand and respect their logic regarding online sales. I fail to understand why they are not more proactive in helping to solve the gray market problem, instead of using strong-arm tactics with regard to dealers like Larry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom