Scubapro online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swan1172:
I fail to understand why they are not more proactive in helping to solve the gray market problem, instead of using strong-arm tactics with regard to dealers like Larry.

Really?

Because it makes them money. It's not hard to grasp. SP nets the same amount of money from a LP sale it does from a ScubaToys sale or a LDS sale. SP apparently doesn't see the loss of a retailer like Larry as a significant issue. This is how monopoly's act. As quickly as Larry gets out of the SP business, someone else will be happy to step in to keep the SP faithful customer happy.

There will always be a gray market and there will always be gray market customers. Even though some manufacturers (e.g. SP) don't understand it yet, customers usually shop online for value-I do it all the time. If a customer's priority is absloute low price with acceptable risk, no frills and no guarantees so be it. It's the customers choice!

Rap

PerroneFord:
Really?

Because it makes them money. It's not hard to grasp. SP nets the same amount of money from a LP sale it does from a ScubaToys sale or a LDS sale. SP apparently doesn't see the loss of a retailer like Larry as a significant issue. This is how monopoly's act. As quickly as Larry gets out of the SP business, someone else will be happy to step in to keep the SP faithful customer happy.

You might want to brush-up on your economics before you start spouting-off terms that you obviously don't understand.

A monopoly, by definition, is a type of market in which there are many buyers, but only one seller. SP is not even close to a monopoly. The last time I checked, there were dozens of other equipment manufacturers out there that offer the same kinds of products as SP, which means that you, the buyer, has a choice.

Swan1172:
I am a fan of ScubaPro and wish I could get their products online. However, I understand and respect their logic regarding online sales. I fail to understand why they are not more proactive in helping to solve the gray market problem, instead of using strong-arm tactics with regard to dealers like Larry.

You can get their products online. But they are from international "authorized" dealers, not Scubapro USA "authorized" dealers. US dealers may not (almost surely won't) honor the warrenty.

http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=79_71

In the case od Scubapro, you may have to ship thru an address in Germany.

Swan1172:
You might want to brush-up on your economics before you start spouting-off terms that you obviously don't understand.

A monopoly, by definition, is a type of market in which there are many buyers, but only one seller. SP is not even close to a monopoly. The last time I checked, there were dozens of other equipment manufacturers out there that offer the same kinds of products as SP, which means that you, the buyer, has a choice.

Fine Mr. Economist. Use whatever term you care to. As long as ScubaPro can dictate who can sell their products and for how much, *I* call that acting like a monopoly. And last I checked you don't have to corner the market to be called a monopoly. Microsoft has been charged with this practice and there are DAMN sure other Computer software operators. Standards Oil was charged with it, and there were other ways to get oil. AT&T was charged, and was forced to break up, even though there were other ways to get phone service. So apparently you *DON'T* have to be a sole provider, just big enough to muscle other people around and destroy free trade. Or maybe the Justice department doesn't understand the term monopoly either.

awap:
You can get their products online. But they are from international "authorized" dealers, not Scubapro USA "authorized" dealers. US dealers may not (almost surely won't) honor the warrenty.

http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=79_71

In the case od Scubapro, you may have to ship thru an address in Germany.

I'm not doubting what you say, but...

I tried to order a SP knife from that Spanish company that you have recommended in the past... they told me that they no longer ship SP products to the U.S.

awap:
What happens in a situation like this: I buy a SP reg in florida from an authorized dealer while on vacation, then I come back home to Oregon. About a year goes by and it is time to have the reg serviced. I go to my local authorized dealer to get the work done. What happens? Does the LDS demand I show proof I bought the reg at an authorized SP dealer? How does he know I didn't buy it "gray market". Or is my only option for service work that is covered under the SP parts replacement deal to send it back to the Florida shop I bought it from in the first place.

I guess I'm trying to ask, how does a LDS know if the SP product is legit or gray market?

The warranty cards from the dealer you bought it from should be good enough for them

rmannix:
The warranty cards from the dealer you bought it from should be good enough for them
The dealer you bought it from also registers the product with SP.

diveborg:
What happens in a situation like this: I buy a SP reg in florida from an authorized dealer while on vacation, then I come back home to Oregon. About a year goes by and it is time to have the reg serviced. I go to my local authorized dealer to get the work done. What happens? Does the LDS demand I show proof I bought the reg at an authorized SP dealer? How does he know I didn't buy it "gray market". Or is my only option for service work that is covered under the SP parts replacement deal to send it back to the Florida shop I bought it from in the first place.

I guess I'm trying to ask, how does a LDS know if the SP product is legit or gray market?
The dealer should register the warranty on-line before you leave the shop with you as the original purchaser and they as the authorized dealer.

If you move else where you may have to prove you are the original owner, but you can do that with the warranty card, with an original receipt with your name and the name of the authorized dealer, or with your copy of the service slip from the last annual service. If you lack all of that, have the dealer call the shop where you bought it to verify the sale or service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom