Scubapro online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
I'm not doubting what you say, but...

I tried to order a SP knife from that Spanish company that you have recommended in the past... they told me that they no longer ship SP products to the U.S.

Yes, I'm fairy sure you are right. I suspect Scubapro found a way to twist their arms as it was not a problem with diveinn about 7 years ago. But I did run into the same thing when I tried to order some SP kits from the above site. Thankfully, around the army, it is easy to find someone in Germany who will forward the order.

diveborg:
What happens in a situation like this: I buy a SP reg in florida from an authorized dealer while on vacation, then I come back home to Oregon. About a year goes by and it is time to have the reg serviced. I go to my local authorized dealer to get the work done. What happens? Does the LDS demand I show proof I bought the reg at an authorized SP dealer? How does he know I didn't buy it "gray market". Or is my only option for service work that is covered under the SP parts replacement deal to send it back to the Florida shop I bought it from in the first place.

I guess I'm trying to ask, how does a LDS know if the SP product is legit or gray market?

You should need to show your registratuion card or your original receipt proving you bought it from a Scubapro USA authorized dealer. If you want free parts, you shopuld also have to show the receipt from the previous annual service. A gray market reg should not have a receipt from a USA authorized dealer. Hummm, I wonder if there would be a market for counterfeit receipts.:D I'd bet an LDS may be able to run the serial numbers and check.

PerroneFord:
Fine Mr. Economist. Use whatever term you care to. As long as ScubaPro can dictate who can sell their products and for how much, *I* call that acting like a monopoly. And last I checked you don't have to corner the market to be called a monopoly. Microsoft has been charged with this practice and there are DAMN sure other Computer software operators. Standards Oil was charged with it, and there were other ways to get oil. AT&T was charged, and was forced to break up, even though there were other ways to get phone service. So apparently you *DON'T* have to be a sole provider, just big enough to muscle other people around and destroy free trade. Or maybe the Justice department doesn't understand the term monopoly either.

I'm not economist, just someone with two graduate degrees and a fairly strong understanding of the economics of business. SP is not even remotely close to being a monopoly. I might go as far a classifying the dive industry as an oligopoly, but that would be very generous considering that there are no real significant barriers to entry, as can be seen in the number of small manufacurers in the market.

To refute your assertion above, just about any producer in any industry can "dictate who can sell their products and for how much." How many brand new GM cars do you see on the lot at Ford dealerships? None, because they restrict who they allow to sell their cars through their dealership agreements. SP claims to do the same thing, but fails miserably, because they allow a gray market to exist.

I agree with your earlier assessment that SP is turning the blind-eye on this practice purely out of greed. They see increased revenue, and obviously don't care where it is coming from. However, this is a short-sighted practice that is going to cost them market share in the long run. How? Mostly through dealers like Larry dropping the SP line from their stores because they can't sell it on the internet.

awap:
You should need to show your registratuion card or your original receipt proving you bought it from a Scubapro USA authorized dealer. If you want free parts, you shopuld also have to show the receipt from the previous annual service. A gray market reg should not have a receipt from a USA authorized dealer. Hummm, I wonder if there would be a market for counterfeit receipts.:D I'd bet an LDS may be able to run the serial numbers and check.
The LDS could call the shop where the service was aledgedly done, but I doubt Scubapro has staff sitting around tracking maintenence histories on individual regs. That basically leaves it up to the LDS staff to ensure that the reg is legitimate.

DA Aquamaster:
The LDS could call the shop where the service was aledgedly done, but I doubt Scubapro has staff sitting around tracking maintenence histories on individual regs. That basically leaves it up to the LDS staff to ensure that the reg is legitimate.

I have a question about SP serial number. As you know, we get the card having a serial number for the registration. And, there is a serial number in each stage of the regulator. Which number is the right number SP cares?

Hoosier,

Some regs are sold individually and some are sold as a set. Each card indicates one serial number whether or not it is sold individually or as a set. The cards also indicate the type of reg setup.
Here are some examples:
MK25 AF/S600
MK25 AF
MK25 AF DIN 300
R390
You should register what is on the card. It should match the regs.

The problem comes when you switch stuff around. Now you have to go through the regs an cards and match things up. I am too lazy and have too many regs to do this so I take all my cards in when it's time for service on my warrantied regs and let Mike figure it out :wink:

hoosier:
I have a question about SP serial number. As you know, we get the card having a serial number for the registration. And, there is a serial number in each stage of the regulator. Which number is the right number SP cares?

Dan Gibson:
Hoosier,

Some regs are sold individually and some are sold as a set. Each card indicates one serial number whether or not it is sold individually or as a set. The cards also indicate the type of reg setup.
Here are some examples:
MK25 AF/S600
MK25 AF
MK25 AF DIN 300
R390
You should register what is on the card. It should match the regs.

The problem comes when you switch stuff around. Now you have to go through the regs an cards and match things up. I am too lazy and have too many regs to do this so I take all my cards in when it's time for service on my warrantied regs and let Mike figure it out :wink:

Exactly... I also have so many cards and regs. The number on the card for the registration is a totally different with the number on the each stage. For example, I bought MK25AF/S600. There is one number on the card for the registration. And there are two numbers on each stages. I have four Air 2 and registered it with the card. Each Air 2 has a totally different number on the unit.

I tried to get some warranty service before, but the owner who you work with doesn't want because I bought my reg from other authorized dealer from NY (my family town). I was told that he has a right to refuse the service. It is BS!

Hoosier,

I would say there is something fishy about your regs and cards. If sold as a set, both the first and second stage have the same serial number. Either the shop you bought it at screwed up or you have the wrong ones matched up.

I have never been denied free parts at the store when I present the warranty card. Two sets were purchased out of state and I registered them myself. Since I am the original owner and they were purchased at an authorized dealer, they have to provide the free parts (as long as I have met my yearly obligation) or they would get in trouble. SP would likely frown upon them turning a legitimate customer away because it was purchased somewhere else. I would think SP realizes people do move and have taken that into account.

btw, the two lines on the regs (first stage only) are just combined into one number since it doesn't fit on one line. Take a look at all your regs and cards and reverify all your numbers. If they don't match, you might have a complaint against the shop you purchased the regs from. This is the only thing I can think of that would lead the shop to believe they are grey market regs.

Some of the older regs use a little different system. Actually, I have a G250 HP that has no warranty card. It had to be mailed in. My shop has a tendencay to say they will do it for you and then never send it in. It's just laziness on their part. I have yet to get a card for that reg and it's over a year old. I'm not sure about the Air II warranty process since I haven't used one since 2001.

hoosier:
Exactly... I also have so many cards and regs. The number on the card for the registration is a totally different with the number on the each stage. For example, I bought MK25AF/S600. There is one number on the card for the registration. And there are two numbers on each stages. I have four Air 2 and registered it with the card. Each Air 2 has a totally different number on the unit.

I tried to get some warranty service before, but the owner who you work with doesn't want because I bought my reg from other authorized dealer from NY (my family town). I was told that he has a right to refuse the service. It is BS!

So how does a supplier know an authorized dealer of a manufacturer sells something online or over the phone? Who tracks that? How do they know what they sell it for? There is a way around everything!!!!! Free wetsuits, free classes, free tanks....It can be done and it is being done everyday.

Find the business model that works for you, in your area, and go for it. I can't believe you people are attacking each others states, personal beliefs, so on and so forth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom