ScubaPro not Allowing Testing of Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren:
Thank you for the info Greg,
I didn't know that the Abyss second stage is uncompensated since it is breathing very easy. I always thouhgt all high end regs have a compensated first stage and a balanced second stage.
This is the best proof that you can make an easy breathing reg without too many parts and knobs for adjustment.
It's interesting to know that most people will not feel the difference in breathing effort anyway.
I was always rather the opinion that if something is not broken, don't fix it !!! But this test shows that there is really a significant decline in performance of the regs.
Would you say that this test confirms the diving industry recommendation to service the gear yearly?
I have to note that none of the big names failed the test or even became unsafe to dive though.
Oren

I routinely check my regs every few months for the following:
intermediate pressure, water integrity, cracking effort of the second stage, and gas leakage from the entire unit. If anything shows abnormal results, then I service that reg ASAP.

I believe that if a reg passes all of the service checks then the rebuild schedule should be based upon usage. I don't like to set an ideal number of dives, but my regs are rebuilt when they see 100 dives or so. Of course, the majority of manufacturers require yearly service to keep the warranty in effect. Some, like Apeks, Mares (some models), and Atomic specify 2 year intervals for warranty validation. All three of these manufacturers strongly suggest that a dealer do the protocol tests similar to what I complete on an annual basis.

Use, abuse, and proper cleaning/storage all play a big part in the service intervals.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
I routinely check my regs every few months for the following:
intermediate pressure, water integrity, cracking effort of the second stage, and gas leakage from the entire unit. If anything shows abnormal results, then I service that reg ASAP.

I believe that if a reg passes all of the service checks then the rebuild schedule should be based upon usage. I don't like to set an ideal number of dives, but my regs are rebuilt when they see 100 dives or so. Of course, the majority of manufacturers require yearly service to keep the warranty in effect. Some, like Apeks, Mares (some models), and Atomic specify 2 year intervals for warranty validation. All three of these manufacturers strongly suggest that a dealer do the protocol tests similar to what I complete on an annual basis.

Use, abuse, and proper cleaning/storage all play a big part in the service intervals.

Greg
Thank you for all the information.
Oren

FLL Diver:
If it's true and can be substantiated, then there shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

Marc
Actually it is. A person can sue for almost anything, right or wrong, and they have much deeper pockets than I do.

In addition, this was in the mid to late 80's so their policies might have changed by now.

aquaoren:
Apeks TX100 1.22 1.21 1.40
Beuchat VX10/Iceberg 1.52 1.48 1.79
Draeger Shark 2.00 1.84 2.11
Mares MK22/Abyss 1.13 1.20 1.27
Oceanic DX/Delta 1.04 1.24 1.59
Ocean reef Enterprise 1.04 1.24 1.79
Scubapro MK16/R380 1.46 1.55 1.28 !!!!!!!!!!
Atomic Aquatics Z1 0.90 1.12 1.22
Sepadiver K996/Eisberg 1.46 1.42 3.29

Does this mean Scubapro's are like fine wine and get better with age? lol

At what setting did they check the effort with adjustable regulators?

One last question about testing. Although this may not be the proper thread, but when brand new regs are purchased aren't they suppose to be assembled and tested first before use or do you buy them set from the manufacturer? This could add some variation in the results due to prep vs. no prep.

The reason I ask is that I have owned the same Sherwood Magnum regs for 10 years. Good, solid regs, no problems, ok breathing. I took them to dive shop where the owner actually does the servicing and when I got them back they breathed much better than I can remember. It is amazing.

ams511:
Does this mean Scubapro's are like fine wine and get better with age? lol

At what setting did they check the effort with adjustable regulators?
They didn't write it but I would assume the easiest setting.
They wrote though many times that the knobs are difficult to use with gloves and show very little effect on breathing effort. Apeks has generally the better adjustablilty.
They explained the difference after the use rather by saying that it were cheap plastic parts that just wore down and weren't fitting correctly anymore.
Oren

5615mike:
Recently received my latest Rodales and read that ScubaPro has requested that Scuba Lab no longer test ANY of their gear. Does anyone know why? Has to be some history there somewhere. I don't recall reading where Scuba Lab provided poor press on their gear but I cetainly could have missed a story.

All you ScubaPro die hards lets hear from you.

ScubaPro products are "reviewed" in the PADI magazine

ams511:
One last question about testing. Although this may not be the proper thread, but when brand new regs are purchased aren't they suppose to be assembled and tested first before use or do you buy them set from the manufacturer? This could add some variation in the results due to prep vs. no prep.

The reason I ask is that I have owned the same Sherwood Magnum regs for 10 years. Good, solid regs, no problems, ok breathing. I took them to dive shop where the owner actually does the servicing and when I got them back they breathed much better than I can remember. It is amazing.

if the same is true for other products, like cars... do cars need to be tuned and have their oil changed before they go out the door from the dealership?

HEY, GENESIS
Where is your post which describes the technical issues with the Scubapro MK25, etc? The info was really outstanding but where is it? I did a search and I assumed it was on this thread. Would like to copy.

It now appears that the Genesis post describing technical issues with the Scubapro MK 25 has been removed. Regulators, have you removed this article? Genesis is one of the few posters who gives excellent analysis and information in a frank and open manner. Genesis, are you being intimidated? I hope Rodales has offered you a job at top dollar.

pescador775:
HEY, GENESIS
Where is your post which describes the technical issues with the Scubapro MK25, etc? The info was really outstanding but where is it? I did a search and I assumed it was on this thread. Would like to copy.

Back
Top Bottom