Scubapro Mk25: To DIN or not to DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any special instructions to change ScubaPro yoke to DIN? I have the DIN conversion kit. I will have the socket, torque wrench, and extension. Do you lubricate any of the O-rings? I know not to torque past 50 ft/pounds

Ive never seen yoke conversion kits unless someone converted yoke to din and selling their yoke

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 7.43.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 7.44.44 PM.png

Any special instructions to change ScubaPro yoke to DIN? I have the DIN conversion kit. I will have the socket, torque wrench, and extension. Do you lubricate any of the O-rings? I know not to torque past 50 ft/pounds

Nope. I've done it many times, tighten it until it feels tight and you're good. I'm sure there's a manual somewhere with a specification but really I believe you're overthinking it. Super easy, just like moving hoses around on the various ports. I've done it on a picnic bench at a dive site before.

Keep your yoke and switch back to it when you travel to the Caribbean or other location that's yoke standard. Should take 5 minutes or less to swap one way or the other once you've done it and seen what's going on. I say that as someone who is not a regulator tech, I pay the dive shop to service my regulators. That arrangement is superior to using the din->yokel adapter.

Not all detachable yokes are created alike; some are better and more compact than others

That Poseidon adaptor for the 300 is a cute little piece of gear, isn't it.

Another way to stop the bang in the head, is just rotate the tank a little, or drop the tank a little. Unless the hoses have very little slack you probably wouldn't notice the change. I had to do that on a borrowed reg and adaptor before.

That Poseidon adaptor for the 300 is a cute little piece of gear, isn't it.

Another way to stop the bang in the head, is just rotate the tank a little, or drop the tank a little. Unless the hoses have very little slack you probably wouldn't notice the change. I had to do that on a borrowed reg and adaptor before.

F8681461-05D6-4F0E-9D67-C461BA2C79E1.jpeg

Nope. I've done it many times, tighten it until it feels tight and you're good. I'm sure there's a manual somewhere with a specification but really I believe you're overthinking it. Super easy, just like moving hoses around on the various ports. I've done it on a picnic bench at a dive site before.

The SP torque spec is around 22ftlbs. That's a lot more than 'just feels tight' with an allen key. While the threads don't seal the retainer, it does get torqued frequently, like when someone picks up the tank by the regulator. I've seen these things come loose several times. Then again, I've had to soak/freeze/boil several SP 1st stages to get a stuck DIN or yoke retainer off. So there's a real problem with over tightening them as well.

In this case it is absolutely worth it to use a torque wrench and get it close to the SP spec. For the DIN retainer, that means a 6mm allen socket. For the yoke, it means a special thin wall yoke nut. The best one I've seen is the scubatools yoke nut.

The SP torque spec is around 22ftlbs. That's a lot more than 'just feels tight' with an allen key. While the threads don't seal the retainer, it does get torqued frequently, like when someone picks up the tank by the regulator. I've seen these things come loose several times. Then again, I've had to soak/freeze/boil several SP 1st stages to get a stuck DIN or yoke retainer off. So there's a real problem with over tightening them as well.

In this case it is absolutely worth it to use a torque wrench and get it close to the SP spec. For the DIN retainer, that means a 6mm allen socket. For the yoke, it means a special thin wall yoke nut. The best one I've seen is the scubatools yoke nut.
Thanks! I have a 3/8" 6mm socket with torque wrench so that is good to know

What you are showing in the second picture is an adapter - it screws on the DIN connector. I was referring to a yoke conversion kits that is similar to the DIN conversion kit you have on the first picture but with an A clamp instead of a DIN. It would require the removal of the DIN assembly and would screw into the regulator body,.

I have a couple of those but they were the result of me taking a stock yoke reg and replacing the yoke with a din kit.

What you are showing in the second picture is an adapter - it screws on the DIN connector. I was referring to a yoke conversion kits that is similar to the DIN conversion kit you have on the first picture but with an A clamp instead of a DIN. It would require the removal of the DIN assembly and would screw into the regulator body,.

I have a couple of those but they were the result of me taking a stock yoke reg and replacing the yoke with a din kit.
That is how I have done it as well...Bought a Yoke reg with a DIN conversion kit to install later

One of each, or several of each.

^ This! Regulators are soft brass. I'm not in the opinion that frequent removals and replacements is a good idea.

Our family has DIN regs (actually full sets) for home and cold water, and yoke regs for travel to warm water where yoke is likely. The used market has serves us well in getting these.

YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom