Scubapro Mk25: To DIN or not to DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B34CBF62-C6A5-4E60-B295-B483A2A1E50E.jpeg

Not all detachable yokes are created alike; some are better and more compact than others

DIN, dammit, DIN, heh, heh, heh . . .

How much further out does a DIN to yoke adapter push the reg?

They aren't all the same, some push it out more than others. Some push it out to be annoying and others you barely notice it.

DIN

Buy the yoke version and, for about $40, the SP DIN conversion. You can get a 3/8 drive 25mm fitting from scubatools for $25 dollars, and switch back and forth effortlessly. No bulky ugly adapters needed. Even if you have to get the basic wrench and extension, for less than $100 total you have what amounts to two regulators. Easy Peasy. I've done this for years and years with Mk 5s and Mk 10s, and now with my new Mk19. My equipment is all DIN, but dive operators in places like Dominica only have yoke valved tanks. Don't worry about exact torsion settings. Tight but not too tight has been fine for me over many years. The equipment is not that sensitive. Basic stuff. If you can change the washers on a leaky sink and do a bit of reading and thinking you're highly qualified.

I used to be DIN, as early on I bought a pair of DIN only HP100s. After I sold that pair I switched back to yoke, because of the annoyances of, while traveling, dealing with finding not just DIN tanks but ones that didn't have the insert practically welded to valve. And then there is the bumping my head on the first stage while using the adapter. The advantages of DIN just didn't overcome the annoyances that it brought with it.

Now don't get my wrong, I still use DIN for my pony and technical diving. But in both cases I am using my own tanks, or if traveling for tech they have DIN tanks that work.

If I find myself going to a DIN only place, I can convert my first stage in minutes as it is a Scubapro and I have the conversion kit.

Maybe that seals the deal then? Order the first stage(s) in yoke and then buy the DIN conversion kit(s) separately. Then you can flip flop at will.

IMG_2668.JPG

The conversion kit looks like a possibility. Digging around it's easy enough to find the yoke to DIN conversion for less than $50. However, I'm not seeing much in the way of conversions from DIN to yoke.

I have worked on regulators for years; but the last thing that I really wish to do on a trip, is to break out a 30 nm torque wrench (which I rarely travel with, and most manufacturers insist upon), to futz with a DIN or dedicated yoke system, when I can easily spin, on or off, a detachable yoke, within seconds, sans tools.

Until fairly recently, all of my regulators came as DIN equipment, with those removable yokes as part of the kit; now, they are sold as accessories.

Times have certainly changed -- the damn kits are now on Amazon! Scubapro gave us a rash of scheiß, years back, when we wanted to purchase those conversion kits, along with several regulators, as part of a commercial order; and they blithely refused the sale and insisted that only one of their "approved" techs would be allowed to do any of those five minute conversions, at no small cost. That was the chief reason, among others, why we opted for Poseidon . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom