Scubapro MK17 or DiveRite 2500 Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenBone

Registered
Reaction score
I know this may come down to personal opinions but recommendations or advice greatly appreciated. here's the scenario - I am in the process of purchasing new regs for a doubles rig that i have. I know Apeks makes great regs as well, but the reason i've narrowed it to these choices is simply because they are the brands offered by the 2 shops i deal with. I'm getting a great deal on either purchase, but I'd save about $250 more on the DiveRite package (that's not really that big of a concern, but just thought i'd throw that in).

so long story short - i want a 'rock solid' cold water reg for northeast conditions. one that i don't need to stress whether it might freeze on me in frigid conditions. I know they both breathe well, so the cold water factor will be my primary concern. I've heard fantastic things about both regs. So, my final choice will be either:

1) Scubapro MK17 with G250 second stage or
2) DiveRite 2500Ice with the environmental seal .

I'm also switching to a long hose configuration, so perhaps ease of proper hose routing may be a deciding factor? feedback from people who own these regs would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

I just switched from a MK25 to the MK17 and love it! I can't tell the difference which means the MK17 is an awesome breather as well as a great cold water reg. I have only dove it in Lake Michigan so it's never seen water over 60*. I have been down to about 35* at depth 100'ish with it with no problems at all. My recommendation would be to go with the ScubaPro as their customer service is wonderful. I have personally been put in contact with the sales rep for my area by the home office. They actually gave me his personal number when I called with questions. They may be a little more $, but in my mind, they're totally worth it. The small problem I had was resolved better than I was expecting and far better than I would have accepted. I have made other posts along these lines because I feel that when a company does good things people need to tell everybody they can, (you know people do when they have a bad experience). ScubaPro, along with my LDS, have made me a very happy customer that will continue to support them both for years to come. Not to sound like a ScubaPro advertisement, but deep down don't you want and need the best?

My 2 cents.

I am currently using DR2500's on my doubles as well as my 100% bottle. I have had them for 3 years with no problems. They breath great at any depth I have been at. With the adjuster on the 2nd I can set them at depth to free flow if I wanted. I have also never had a problem with the cold here in NH&ME. I also have the cold water kit on them. I don't know if it helps with the cold but it sure makes the rebuilds easer. Since no salt water gets in they are always clean in side.

Another vote for the Mk 17 G250. It's an excellent performer and is bullet proof in cold water.

MK 17 for sure, I'm also a great ScubaPro fan (I have the MK16/S550) and their customer service is awesome. I had some of their split fins (off the topic but...) after 1 and a half years and about 200 odd dives with about 20 pool sessions thrown in they started coming apart a little. Guess what? a brand new pair arrived for me to replace the old ones. this after the warranty was already over. I'm definately not complaining.

We get temperatures of around 7 - 8 degress here in Cape Town and I've never had any issues with cold or depth. 7 degrees at 40 meters and no problems whether I'm upside down or any kind strange position peering into a wreck.

Back
Top Bottom