ScubaPro MK16 / S550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Probably will buy a Scubapro MK16 / S550 Regulator this weekend.

The price will be (incl. console and R190 Octo) under 400 USD.

Am still looking for some reassurance of my choice, cause there are so many options available...

So I would be pleased with your experiences with this reg.

Thx in advance

No experience with the reg, I seem to remember it has most of the same inner workings as the 600. However, I myself decided to go with the G250HP. More people have seemed to use it, and have nothing but praise for it. It's apparently as tough a reg as they come.

Howzit goin? I bought my wife the MK16/S550 and I thought it was way better than my dacor viper. They are a good reg, but the S600 and the G250 regs are a way better breathing regulator. If you are looking in a certain price range why not try Oceanic? I have breathed through an Alpha7 the other day and it blew me away they are great! But if you want the looks and the fancy knobs try the DX4/Delta 3 regulator. You have a breathing resistance of 0.0-2.5ciw very nice, these are the regs I use and can recommend them.
Hope I helped, remember this is just my opinion read some magazines about gear even look up rodales site. Buy the reg that feels right for you not anyone else.
CYA

My buddy dives 2 Mk15s with an S550 and a R190...he likes them a lot and they perform great. I've tried his Mk16/S550 setup also and it breathes great and is 100% reliable. However, if you don't mind spending a little more money, I would look into getting a G250HP. The G250HP has an adjustment knob that allows you to change the breathing characteristics of the reg. This is a good feature to help prevent freeflows in current, etc. I don't think you could really tell too much of a difference between an S550 and a G250HP in terms of performance, but the adjustment is a nice feature to have.

My buddy dives 2 Mk16s with an S550 and a R190...he likes them a lot and they perform great. I've tried his Mk16/S550 setup also and it breathes great and is 100% reliable. However, if you don't mind spending a little more money, I would look into getting a G250HP. The G250HP has an adjustment knob that allows you to change the breathing characteristics of the reg. This is a good feature to help prevent freeflows in current, etc. I don't think you could really tell too much of a difference between an S550 and a G250HP in terms of performance, but the adjustment is a nice feature to have.

I have a Mk16/S550, and I like it a lot. I've heard that the 600 is the same regulator as the 550, but with the adjustment.

I have the same regulator set up (Mk16/S550) except i use an Air2 as my backup (go to another thread if you want do discuss the Air2)..

The price seems reasonable for stateside prices.

It breathes just great for me ... I go to 130'+ fairly frequently with it and no problems .... I dive warm water only, so I can't comment on cold performance.

I like it, and the Warranty is great. Though I've never had to fix anything, the shop says SP never gives them any flack when they replace parts for ANY reason.

ElectricZombie:
My buddy dives 2 Mk16s with an S550 and a R190...he likes them a lot and they perform great. I've tried his Mk16/S550 setup also and it breathes great and is 100% reliable. However, if you don't mind spending a little more money, I would look into getting a G250HP. The G250HP has an adjustment knob that allows you to change the breathing characteristics of the reg. This is a good feature to help prevent freeflows in current, etc. I don't think you could really tell too much of a difference between an S550 and a G250HP in terms of performance, but the adjustment is a nice feature to have.

The G250HP seems not to be sold in The Netherlands. For service purposes it would probably be best to stick to regulators sold here. I could turn to the S600 but the pricedifference is considerable...

i've been using the mk16/s550 w/r380 alternate 2nd stage. i've used it from cooler 50's F to warm 80+F, in murky 1m to 20m+ viz ocean, wetsuit and dry, DIN and Yoke config. haven't been beyond recreational depth with it though. i am happy with it.

i am a bit happier with my wife's atomic b1 (ease of breathing), but there's the price adder to think of.

I use that exact setup mk16/550/190 and love it. I havent had it for long, bout 6 months and have only one minor problem. the hp seal in the first stage was leaking alil but I got it fixed...aint no thang.

it breaths great and is really reliable. as far as the 550-600, 250 goes. The 550 and 600 are EXACTLY the same with the acception of the adjuster nob. you can even buy the nob and put it on your 550 but it would be cheaper to get a 600. the 250 is EXACTLY the same as the 550 but with a bigger case.

Back
Top Bottom