Scubapro MK10 service tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me what tools I need to service the MK10 first stage? Looks like the multi tool from scubatools, a piston bullet, and piston oring tool?

What I use for the MK10:
-Watch case tool for the HP seat cap
-1st stage spanner wrench
-Piston bullet
-2 dowels for the o-ring installation
-Brass pick set
-Big adjustable wrench for the yoke nut
-3/8 and 7/16 bolts to hold the first stage

For specialized tools, at a minimum you need a bullet tool, a pin spanner to separate the body from the end cap, oring picks and some kind of spanner to remove the HP seat cap. To make life a lot easier, oring installation tools are a big help as are some kind of tool to hold the reg in a vise. If you have not done so, check out Vintage Double Hose's video on servicing the MK-5, it is basically the same thing.
I make and sell the specialized tools you need, drop me a PM if you would like a catalog.

The multi tool is very handy but you don't technically need it, you can find spanners that work elsewhere for the body and seat retainer. If you don't have any of those, it's probably just as cost effective to get the multi tool from scubatools. Herman's o-ring installation tool is also not technically needed (I rebuilt MK10s for years before he made them) but once I started using it I found the job much much easier and faster. It's worth it even for one rebuild.

I don't use brass picks, I use the steel scubatools o-ring picks. The important one is the "double hook" which is shaped to safely remove the HP piston o-ring without scratching the journal. That's one of the most useful tools I have for the MK10.
O'ring Pick, Double Hook, Blue Plastic Handle

I don't use first stage handles, I just cut an old HP hose and use the fitting as a holder. It works fine.

I used the hp O ring tool set, end cap pin spanner and bullet tool all from Herman. Well made and of course work perfectly. He's my recommendation for those tools. I'm sure there are work arounds but I couldn't be bothered.

I don't use first stage handles, I just cut an old HP hose and use the fitting as a holder. It works fine.
i use an empty CO2 cartridge, from a repair car tyre kit.

I also recommend the tools from Herman. Save yourself a lot of frustration and get at least the o-ring insertion tool and the piston bullet. I'm not as steady handed as our guitar playing doctor, so using a steel pick is a last resort. But I do keep one on hand. A brass or plastic pick usually gets the job done with no fear of scratching the o-ring groove.

I bought the multitool this morning from Scubatools but have a question. Do I still need a first stage spanner to disassemble the
Mk10 or does the multitool do that?

The multi-tool will take care of that. You still need a piston bullet and a means of removing the yoke nut and installing the piston shaft o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom